• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pandemic Racism of Egyptian Society

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
While mainstream media currently has its sights fixed on the Black Lives Matter protests throughout the Western world, let us not forget the struggles of black people in neighboring countries that are arguably most supposed to know better:

From the article said:
“My brother Salman looked exactly like me; people would always think we were twins – I love him so much,” she pauses, her innocent smile suddenly vanishing. “One day, he left for work and didn’t come back. He’d been suffering street harassment and abuse since we arrived. We never saw him again,” she recalls, a tear dropping down her cheek. Her brother’s struggle is familiar to Mariam, who is forced to endure the daily humiliation of street harassment, psychological abuse, and institutional neglect.

“We are treated like dogs,” she says. “On my way to university, on the microbus, no Egyptian will sit beside a Sudanese person. People in the streets shout: Ya sooda (hey black girl), ya shukalata (hey chocolate), ya samra (hey dark girl), and we just accept it, because we have no one to turn to; no one to rely on. They tell us things like 'there’s no point taking a shower because we are dirty anyway.' This is my colour, what should I do!? I can’t wash it, I can’t do anything. My little brothers are now psychologically affected, and ask me why our colour won’t go away every time they shower. They are young; they are in primary school and kindergarten; why should they grow up on these beliefs? Sometimes they refuse going to school in order avoid hearing these things,” she cries.

Full article: “They Call Us Black and Filthy”: Sudanese Refugees in Egypt, Trapped Between Racism and Violence

Parenthetically, the myth that anti-African or anti-black racism is exclusive to white people needs to die a swift death. It is a misconception that only serves to empower and obscure African-on-African racism, as of the abovementioned type.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Racism is, unfortunately, a big part of many human societies. In Chinese society, for example, there is racism against anyone who is not ethnically Han. And, all too often, that comes out in official policy.

Europeans had power for a while, so their sort of racism has affected people across the globe. But those in power in other places can be just as racist and with just as little reason.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Yup, whites are quicker to be vilified for racism and more vehemently vilified than any other racial or ethnic group on the planet! That is what is 'in-style' with the left.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I've used it before and i will use it again

0000.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It makes you wonder what causes that 'sour taste' in people's mouths as it relates to racism.

Is it the actual skin color?

Is it cultural?

Is it environmental?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Please don't turn this thread into yet another bipartisan tug of war. Bipartisan US politics is of little relevance or consequence to the specific issue raised in the article.
Well it is relevant to who abuses/screams the racist word most often and the loudest and who it is shouted against! Not everyone is equally guilty of poor behavior here.

I'll stay out of your thread if you don't consider that issue relevant.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
While mainstream media currently has its sights fixed on the Black Lives Matter protests throughout the Western world, let us not forget the struggles of black people in neighboring countries that are arguably most supposed to know better:

Full article: “They Call Us Black and Filthy”: Sudanese Refugees in Egypt, Trapped Between Racism and Violence

Parenthetically, the myth that anti-African or anti-black racism is exclusive to white people needs to die a swift death. It is a misconception that only serves to empower and obscure African-on-African racism, as of the abovementioned type.

I hate how US-centric our news is out here. Thanks for giving us a different perspective.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

What is it that gives Egyptians a feeling of superiority? What motivates this racism?
We know that what motivated the white to black racism in South Africa, was largely due to the Dutch Reform Church claiming that the Bible said that the black races were cursed by God....absolute rubbish, but used by them to treat the blacks as if they were worse than dirt under their feet.

We had similar attitudes expressed in Australia where the white invaders of native land treated the indigenous people as 'savages'. Everywhere the white invaders went, they brought suffering and inhumanity on the native people. It often makes me ashamed to be white.

But this is not something I knew existed....:(

epronovost

What is it that gives Egyptians a feeling of superiority? What motivates this racism?

Probably some similar forces: a sense of material and cultural superiority (which is ironic considering how tightly interwoven Sudan and Egypt history is), nativisism (I was there first thus I own this place and you must conform to my standards and my tests to gain my respect) or even simply otherness (we don't look alike thus you are scary). I couldn't tell if the religious climate of Egypt helped foster such sentiment.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Kitties. :D

I like kitties. Unfortunately, I'm told women find men with cats less attractive. :oops:

They do? I don't.
This is contentious and will probably kick up a **** storm but i am going to say it anyway. I honestly believe there is something wrong with people who don't like cats and/or dogs