• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The pandemic and your job

Orbit

I'm a planet
I was thinking about the pandemic and people's jobs (including mine). How's it going at work? What's different because of the pandemic?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I was thinking about the pandemic and people's jobs (including mine). How's it going at work? What's different because of the pandemic?
I used to work entirely in the office. Now I work entirely at home.

I'm a transportation engineer; a lot of my work relies on traffic counts and the like. Getting good data while everyone's travel patterns are all out of whack has been... challenging.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I'm In IT.
Started out as essential
Then got exposed and put in quarantine (did not get virus)
Then I became Semi-Essential
Not split between working from home and going into the office

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

I work in healthcare, so I'm still going to work every day.

Everything is different, lol. One thing is we've converted a lot of our care to telemedicine, which is fascinating because pre-COVID, insurers dragged their feet about covering telemed...no, no, they said, care has to be in-person! Funny how that tune has changed.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
One thing is we've converted a lot of our care to telemedicine, which is fascinating because pre-COVID, insurers dragged their feet about covering telemed...no, no, they said, care has to be in-person! Funny how that tune has changed.
It's been interesting to see just how many meetings really could have been emails, and just how much time I wasted driving to off-site meetings when a virtual meeting would have done just fine.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I have a journal thread someone out there that went missing in "the files" recently. I work in an independent residential community for people 65 and older and/or with disabilities. So, anything with the pandemic gives people a scare and we have to be careful what we say and how we say it (or if to say it) if the subject comes up. It makes it a huge problem for me sometimes because I also live where I work. So anything I say off the desk can be mentioned while I'm behind the desk so. From what I was told (wasn't supposed to have overheard) was we have a COVID patient here. So, best we can do is not cause people to panic.

A Vestigial Mote

I'm in Market Research, and I used to be one of the only people to work from home at my company. There were maybe 2 or 3 others who worked from home only very occasionally. Now everyone is working from home on a consistent basis - and yet no change in throughput. I could have told them there wouldn't be, and that the cost of maintaining an office site was superfluous - but pre-Covid, no one would have listened. I do think there are some benefits to in-person interaction that can't be quantified - such as perceived approachability for non-essential matters, more easy/fluid information share, closer-knit relationships between employees, etc. But necessities in my business can all be handled remotely. There isn't a single thing I can think of that simply must be done in-person. And that is being proven day after day to upper management. It will be interesting to see the fallout once going "back to normal" is becoming more plausible.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Retired, so work is not a problem. Although i still do a little remote work from time to time. I work on a PC and send, via internet, the work to the customer.

Customers can be anywhere, currently doing a series of models for a company in Taiwan. When we had the studio I'd often visit a customer, i do miss that.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm a lawyer, and pre-covid I used to work in my firm's central office to very late in the evening (sometimes night) all five working days of the week (weekends could even be busy to with sudden calls and commitments).

I elected to go on a secondment to Scotland, where I grew up and used to live, last year and have wound up 'stuck' here throughout the course of 2020 and now extending into early 2021, owing to the onset of the pandemic.

The transition from office to online zoom and telephone 'work' (with colleagues, supervisors and clients long-distance) has been very smooth, given that legal services do not require any manual labour but can be effectively administered at a remove.

However, I really have grown to miss "in-person" office work with my colleagues and clients - and so, while working from home certainly has its benefits (no daily commute, saving money, a less frenetic pace and more time to devote to leisure pursuits such as exercise routines during the week, whereas I typically had to do this late at night before), I'm very much looking forward to returning to resuming person-to-person work again in my firm when I return to London, though I hope - and expect - that we will retain something of the 'covid-19' working from home experiment post-pandemic; as for instance having a rota system where people do this on-and-off, given that it has been pretty successful (I just find my days much more dull and boring, especially with the almost continual tier-4 lockdowns and social distancing).

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I'm in technical publishing. Been working remotely for years. So far our little corner of the world seems steady - I count myself as very fortunate. I guess since people are locked in their homes, a lot of them have decided to learn Java or Python :)

PureX

Veteran Member
I work at a very busy dental facility. So you can imagine that there have been significant changes because of covid. The dentists and hygienists look like surgeons from back in the 50s with masks, gowns, gloves, face shields, and so on. Clients wait in their cars until called for because the waiting room can now only seat a few people at a time. Everyone coming into the building has their temperature taken and if it's high, they must leave: patient or employee. The patient will be rescheduled and the employee must be tested before returning to work.

I have changed my work routine greatly to minimize contact with coworkers and patients. I go in very early and on Saturdays so I can do maintenance work while no one else is there, or while only a few people are there. Appointments have been spread out during the day to allow the aids extra time to clean everything between clients. At this point I've kind of forgotten what it was like before. This is all just the 'new normal', now.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a domestic engineer(homemaker). The job's undergone some significant changes.

Firstly, the introduction of the internet into our home. We got it for the kids' virtual schooling(another big change), which turned into homeschooling for one of them. Its had its ups and downs. Its a necessary tool for homeschooling, but it has its drawbacks. Its kinda pulled us apart; my oldest son and husband have to be removed from their devices periodically with a crowbar(data was limited on their phones before).

The homeschooling has been different. It seems to be more successful, and can be very rewarding, but there are some days that, due to behavioral issues, I'd like to book myself into a mental unit and call it a vacation.

I can't go to the store easily anymore. We don't allow the kids in public, so if I need something for a recipe, I have to wait for my husband to get off work to grab it.

Its also limited the rewards I can offer. My oldest two are autistic, and thrive off of a reward system. We can't walk to the gas station to get treats. We can't go to the grocery store. We can't go visit someone. No more gym membership to use as a reward. They're sick of the rewards I can offer, so negative behaviors have increased.

Speech therapy is all done online, too.

Vee

Premium Member
I've been working part time since march 2020, and thus earning less. I can still pay my bills, but not much left by the end of the month. I'm not expecting improvement in the next few months.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I'm working as a SIEM Integrator and my current place of employment has us all working at home (although we can come in if we want). We do all our work over the computer so it's not much of a difference. I did just recent get a callback from another company for a similar position, but they actually have everyone on premises because they're deemed essential.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Pre-pandemic I drove rideshare, primarily on Fridays and Saturdays, and made about double what I did as a case manager in mental health. But now that is gone amd I went from reliably making between $25-$30 an hour to barely squeaking out $20 an hour on a good day before expenses.
Now I do Instacart shopping and have started looking for work from home options. Except, the crappy part is once this is done and the weekends again mean bars, restaurants, movies, and going that river of money will flow again and I'd rather be there than with a boss amd a schedule and dress codes (this does not mean I dress as a slob) and other things I hate about conventional jobs.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I work at a wellness clinic (PT). Right now the clinic is closed except for telehealth visits while we wait for the Christmas and new years bump in covid rates.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I'm In IT.
Started out as essential
Then got exposed and put in quarantine (did not get virus)
Then I became Semi-Essential
Not split between working from home and going into the office

I'm glad you didn't get the virus!