• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pagan, Buddhist, and Hindu Thread

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Do we have any Pure Land Buddhists here? I find the faith interesting.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know why its been so irritating for me lately, but I get sick of folks acknowledging that I'm religious, seeming to respect that, and then... refusing to acknowledge I don't believe in the God of Abraham or find the Bible relevant.

Normally I brush it off pretty well, but maybe I'm just crabby 'cause I'm cold all the time.

Anyone else find it annoying?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I don't know why its been so irritating for me lately, but I get sick of folks acknowledging that I'm religious, seeming to respect that, and then... refusing to acknowledge I don't believe in the God of Abraham or find the Bible relevant.

Normally I brush it off pretty well, but maybe I'm just crabby 'cause I'm cold all the time.

It is annoying

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
There are so many other cool stories and scriptures out there... why all the focus on just one?

What is everyone's favorite scriptural/mythological story?
Hmmm. I would say the story of Thor being tricked by Utgard-Loki(I hope I spelt that right) is great

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Nah, I have better ways to use my energy than getting annoyed.

I can accept the fact that they simply don't understand my views and may not be receptive to learning them as they are absorbed into their own paradigm.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Vaishnava. My philosophy is probably Vishishtadvaita, “Advaita with qualifications”, all diversity subsuming to a whole. This is not unlike waves or sea spray to the ocean; heat, light, smoke to a flame.

What's the relationship between Atman and Brahman in Vishishtadvaita?

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
We've got a Soto Zen monastery about an hour or so north. We visited once, and it was open, but the only one there was an orange cat. A language barrier between us and the cat did indeed stop us from learning much of the tradition.

(Anyone know much about Soto Zen?)

I've heard they're very keen on correct meditation posture. Did you pick that up from the cat?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Nah, I have better ways to use my energy than getting annoyed.

I can accept the fact that they simply don't understand my views and may not be receptive to learning them as they are absorbed into their own paradigm.

I'm finding I'm not using my energy real well lately, and I really do think winter's at play. Not sure how to constructively handle that. It seems to start physically, and then affect me mentally later on.

I've heard they're very keen on correct meditation posture. Did you pick that up from the cat?

I didn't. I don't think he wanted to scare us off.

JonSL

In another thread, I told someone I feel that us Buddhists, Pagans, and Hindus get swept under the rug around here.

So, I'm making a thread devoted to these three(very vast) worldviews. Any and all may participate, but this thread may not delve into discussions of Abrahamic viewpoints, scriptures, or their God.

Anyone have anything interesting to share or ask?

MAHATMA GANDHI'S VIEWS ON GOD, TRUTH, RELIGION...

Mahatma Gandhi's views on God, Truth and Religion

JonSL

I actually have a real Hindu question: Has the Kumbh Mela outlived it's purpose? I have the sense that the old tradition of yogis coming down from ashrams in the hills and forests is not what it used to be in modern India.

I wouldn't worry about all that. So called "modern" trends which dismiss ancient practices are very very common throughout history. Those "modern" trends fade away and the ancient practices that embody a deeper truth always survive.

JonSL

In "Autobiography of a Yogi," Paramahansa Yogananda tells of going to the Kumbha Mela and being disappointed by the lack of sincere aspiration among the people there. He met another Yogi whose comment was, is not the name of God beautiful, whether sung by the sincere or the insincere?

As far as Hatha Yoga goes, when I was a kid in the 1960's that was thought of as very odd and creepy.

Now millions and millions of Americans practice it regularly. It is at least 4000 years old, that we know of.

I don't think that the teachings and practice of Hinduism are leaving the world scene, any time soon.

I would not worry about that.

Gandhi is still revered throughout the world. His life will probably still be taught hundreds of years from now.

Sure, modern culture, modern media in India, may not value Hinduism...but that has always been the case. In the year 1000 AD, I am sure there were merchants and markets in India that utterly dismissed the importance of Hinduism and just focused on making money...like most people just focus on material things.

That has always been the vast thrust of human civilization. But, the ancient wisdom still survives and those interested will always be able to find its wisdom.

It survived endless lunatic Nazi-like regimes. It survived dictators in ancient Egypt, China, Rome and on. It survived the Huns and all the endless vicious lunatics in history.

It will survive.

=AZV4yAC3_1WwXYK0HVY4emcsR9QPxMom0x2PuJBIYqOHI3a31HFSgXozNrM9eDVxQQOARruIv4WmPmFOPOrSEMM2MqI4lBq4jIyuw3cGEblL55E4xgQglUDAQjcNaKEJXY6aZdK7xUOTvEA1GKBWLmAyG3i49U9OX2r8FKBuEbfsoQ&__tn__=EH-y-R']

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Those "modern" trends fade away and the ancient practices that embody a deeper truth always survive.

My belief is a different: Sooner or later practices stop being useful and the deeper truth is manifest in a new way which is better suited to the time and people.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Blessed Disting/Imbolc/Charming of the Plow (however you celebrate).

We have finally made it to the midway point between winter and spring, it's down hill to warmer days from here. Don't let the cold drag you down!

IMG_20220203_182548.jpg