• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pagan, Buddhist, and Hindu Thread

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't necessarily shy away from theist discussions, I'm just picky about who I'll have them with.

If a person can't be respectful of my beliefs and my deities, I'm not going to waste my time talking to them. Probably not only in religious matters, but in general.

If I can't avoid talking to them, I'll keep it to business only, and my replies simple.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I rather like them, to be honest. Although I do tend to prefer discussions than debates on it. I tend to ask for opinions and leave it at that.

For the most part I agree. The issue I run into is the stubborn refusal to see the other side. Which typically comes from the monotheists that denigrate polytheism as being the lesser/illogical belief system.

Edit: Oftentimes this comes from the Islam corner. Sometimes Christian. Almost never Judaism.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
For the most part I agree. The issue I run into is the stubborn refusal to see the other side. Which typically comes from the monotheists that denigrate polytheism as being the lesser/illogical belief system.

Edit: Oftentimes this comes from the Islam corner. Sometimes Christian. Almost never Judaism.

In my personal experience, I'd say I get that more from Christians than Muslims. Most of the Muslims I've run across just want to be respected, and are happy to be respectful in return(even if they may not understand polytheism). I agree, I've almost never been poo-pooed at by anyone in the Jewish community.

I wonder... have any of us experienced intolerance or a lack of understanding from within our own communities?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I wonder... have any of us experienced intolerance or a lack of understanding from within our own communities?

You know. Within Neo-Paganism as a whole, not really. Even among the LHP and Witchcraft specific sects which are not always theistic, I've typically encountered no discouragement.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
In my personal experience, I'd say I get that more from Christians than Muslims. Most of the Muslims I've run across just want to be respected, and are happy to be respectful in return(even if they may not understand polytheism). I agree, I've almost never been poo-pooed at by anyone in the Jewish community.

I honestly have found that most Pagans, Druids, Wiccans etc, are rather tolerant in their belief systems, and don't tend to think they are right over anyone else's view.

I'm sure there are a few Pagans out there who are. But I haven't encountered any here, or in real life.

Editing... so I'm tagging you @JustGeorge : I'm under the impression that polytheism seems to breed a sort of tolerance of diverse beliefs. And I think that's actually a historic thing too. Most poly faiths we're OK with adopting and bringing in Gods of other pantheons, and making them their own/sharing.

Last edited:

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes I run across Pagans who want to dismiss me for being a monotheist, as if when some Abrahamics diss their polytheism it's a crime but when the other Pagans diss my monotheism it's perfectly reasonable. Never understood that one. There seems to be an attitude in some of 'real Pagans are polytheists'.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Sometimes I run across Pagans who want to dismiss me for being a monotheist, as if when some Abrahamics diss their polytheism it's a crime but when the other Pagans diss my monotheism it's perfectly reasonable. Never understood that one. There seems to be an attitude in some of 'real Pagans are polytheists'.

This is true and can be the case. I know you only worship one Egyptian deity, do you recognize the others as existing? If so, I'm not sure I would call you a monotheist myself. Even if you are only worshipping one deity. It's more like having a Patron Deity, a chosen God.

I wouldn't call you a Polytheist either though.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
This is true and can be the case. I know you only worship one Egyptian deity, do you recognize the others as existing? If so, I'm not sure I would call you a monotheist myself. Even if you are only worshipping one deity. It's more like having a Patron Deity, a chosen God.

I wouldn't call you a Polytheist either though.
No, it's one God with emanations, different facets of Himself.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
No, it's one God with emanations, different facets of Himself.

Still not monotheism imo. It's very Brahmanical. Which still strikes me as modified polytheism.

(There is great power in names, and naming a thing. Even if they are all facets of a similar source or God.)

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I never really saw it as truly polytheism but not is it classical monotheism in a western sense. My bf called it transtheism. I would be inclined to agree.

I did a bit of digging myself, and came up with a different term for this phenomenon, then transtheism - Polymorphic Monotheism.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
If one more person denigrates Paganism because it stems from "ancient beliefs" and they performed human and animal sacrifices. I'm going to ****ing flip.

I'm so ****ing tired of the Christians, Muslims, and Baha'i spratfuxcks, trying to tell me my beliefs are incompatible with modern society.

I'm this "." close to quitting the forum. I hate placing people on ignore, but I've had to ignore 4 seperate people in the last 1.5 days.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
If one more person denigrates Paganism because it stems from "ancient beliefs" and they performed human and animal sacrifices. I'm going to ****ing flip.

I'm so ****ing tired of the Christians, Muslims, and Baha'i spratfuxcks, trying to tell me my beliefs are incompatible with modern society.

I'm this "." close to quitting the forum. I hate placing people on ignore, but I've had to ignore 4 seperate people in the last 1.5 days.
I must've missed the thread you were talking with folk on. Well. If you quit the forum you have my Facebook.

Edit: I found on thread you argued on. Ooof. That indeed was rude of them

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I must've missed the thread you were talking with folk on. Well. If you quit the forum you have my Facebook.

Edit: I found on thread you argued on. Ooof. That indeed was rude of them

Yeah. Not the first thread like that over the last couple days either. It's really obnoxious, I really do try hard not to look down on, or denigrate other viewpoints, even if I don't agree with them personally, such as with monotheist views.

Viker

Häxan

I look past their ignorance and foolishness. Besides, you, me and them all have religious practices and beliefs that could be misconstrued as "too ancient for today". I mean seriously, who in modern times should care to acknowledge gods at all, anyway?