• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The origin of 5 times prayer in Hadith books

Union

It is reported in Hadith that Prophet Muhammad had voyaged in heaven to meet Almighty GOD and brought down the ruling of 05 times Prayers for Muslim . This story is famous as 'Isra and Miraj ' among Islamic literature . Though this night journey of Prophet Muhammad to heaven is not factual and evident as far as the Qur'an is concerned , this article will only look into the story of 05 times prayers which is regarded the most important event during that journey .

Union

Sahih Bukhari , Volume 1, Book 8, Number 345
---------------------------------------------------------
Narrated Abu Dhar:
Allah's Apostle said, "While I was at Mecca the roof of my house was opened and Gabriel descended, opened my chest, and washed it with Zam-zam water. Then he brought a golden tray full of wisdom and faith and having poured its contents into my chest, he closed it. Then he took my hand and ascended with me to the nearest heaven, when I reached the nearest heaven, Gabriel said to the gatekeeper of the heaven, 'Open (the gate).' The gatekeeper asked, 'Who is it?' Gabriel answered: 'Gabriel.' He asked, 'Is there anyone with you?' Gabriel replied, 'Yes, Muhammad I is with me.' He asked, 'Has he been called?' Gabriel said, 'Yes.' So the gate was opened and we went over the nearest heaven and there we saw a man sitting with some people on his right and some on his left. When he looked towards his right, he laughed and when he looked toward his left he wept. Then he said, 'Welcome! O pious Prophet and pious son.' I asked Gabriel, 'Who is he?' He replied, 'He is Adam and the people on his right and left are the souls of his offspring. Those on his right are the people of Paradise and those on his left are the people of Hell and when he looks towards his right he laughs and when he looks towards his left he weeps.'

Then he ascended with me till he reached the second heaven and he (Gabriel) said to its gatekeeper, 'Open (the gate).' The gatekeeper said to him the same as the gatekeeper of the first heaven had said and he opened the gate. Anas said: "Abu Dhar added that the Prophet met Adam, Idris, Moses, Jesus and Abraham, he (Abu Dhar) did not mention on which heaven they were but he mentioned that he (the Prophet ) met Adarn on the nearest heaven and Abraham on the sixth heaven. Anas said, "When Gabriel along with the Prophet passed by Idris, the latter said, 'Welcome! O pious Prophet and pious brother.' The Prophet asked, 'Who is he?' Gabriel replied, 'He is Idris." The Prophet added, "I passed by Moses and he said, 'Welcome! O pious Prophet and pious brother.' I asked Gabriel, 'Who is he?' Gabriel replied, 'He is Moses.' Then I passed by Jesus and he said, 'Welcome! O pious brother and pious Prophet.' I asked, 'Who is he?' Gabriel replied, 'He is Jesus.
Then I passed by Abraham and he said, 'Welcome! O pious Prophet and pious son.' I asked Gabriel, 'Who is he?' Gabriel replied, 'He is Abraham. The Prophet added, 'Then Gabriel ascended with me to a place where I heard the creaking of the pens." Ibn Hazm and Anas bin Malik said: The Prophet said, "Then Allah enjoined fifty prayers on my followers when I returned with this order of Allah, I passed by Moses who asked me, 'What has Allah enjoined on your followers?' I replied, 'He has enjoined fifty prayers on them.' Moses said, 'Go back to your Lord (and appeal for reduction) for your followers will not be able to bear it.' (So I went back to Allah and requested for reduction) and He reduced it to half. When I passed by Moses again and informed him about it, he said, 'Go back to your Lord as your followers will not be able to bear it.' So I returned to Allah and requested for further reduction and half of it was reduced. I again passed by Moses and he said to me: 'Return to your Lord, for your followers will not be able to bear it. So I returned to Allah and He said, 'These are five prayers and they are all (equal to) fifty (in reward) for My Word does not change.' I returned to Moses and he told me to go back once again. I replied, 'Now I feel shy of asking my Lord again.' Then Gabriel took me till we '' reached Sidrat-il-Muntaha (Lote tree of; the utmost boundry) which was shrouded in colors, indescribable. Then I was admitted into Paradise where I found small (tents or) walls (made) of pearls and its earth was of musk."

This story mentioned in the above Hadith gave us some unusual notes :

01- All-Knowing GOD was changing his mind and words again and again , which is against HIS Exalted nature being the supreme GOD .
02- Prophet Muhammad was having no knowledge and care about his followers though Prophet Moses knew more than him and of course more than GOD Himself that what to do and what not merely sitting in heaven .
03- The biggest problem of the above story is bit mathematical .

At first Almighty ALLAH prescribed 50 prayers for the Muslims .

Then , Almighty ALLAH made it half , i.e., now 50/2 = 25 prayers for Muslims.

Then again Almighty ALLAH reduced it to another half , i.e., 25/2 = 12 ½ prayers for Muslims .

Now this is impossible . How there could be 12.5 times Salah ever exist !

Last edited:

Union

FIVE DIVERGENT VERSIONS OF THE STORY IN SAHIAN

There are three versions of this same story have been inserted in Sahih Bukhari with significant alternations in them. There are also two additional versions of this story found in Sahih Muslim which are too divergent in their description . Now in this post we will place all of them together to find the discrepancies between them . Worthy to mention here that we are only focusing that part of the story where 5 prayers were offered to Prophet Muhammad (p) and incidents related to it , other part of the original Hadith is not of interest for this thread . I am sure if we scrutinize the other parts of the Hadith we will come up with so many other inconsistencies in them . But let us put that aside for now.

01st Version :
===========
Narrated Abu Dhar:
…….. Ibn Hazm and Anas bin Malik said: The Prophet said, "Then Allah enjoined fifty prayers on my followers when I returned with this order of Allah, I passed by Moses who asked me, 'What has Allah enjoined on your followers?' I replied, 'He has enjoined fifty prayers on them.' Moses said, 'Go back to your Lord (and appeal for reduction) for your followers will not be able to bear it.' (So I went back to Allah and requested for reduction) and He reduced it to half. When I passed by Moses again and informed him about it, he said, 'Go back to your Lord as your followers will not be able to bear it.' So I returned to Allah and requested for further reduction and half of it was reduced. I again passed by Moses and he said to me: 'Return to your Lord, for your followers will not be able to bear it. So I returned to Allah and He said, 'These are five prayers and they are all (equal to) fifty (in reward) for My Word does not change.' I returned to Moses and he told me to go back once again. I replied, 'Now I feel shy of asking my Lord again.' Then Gabriel took me till we '' reached Sidrat-il-Muntaha (Lote tree of; the utmost boundry) which was shrouded in colors, indescribable. Then I was admitted into Paradise where I found small (tents or) walls (made) of pearls and its earth was of musk."

02nd Version :
============
Sahih Bukharu Volume 4, Book 54, Number 429
Narrated Malik bin Sasaa:
…….. Then fifty prayers were enjoined on me. I descended till I met Moses who asked me, 'What have you done?' I said, 'Fifty prayers have been enjoined on me.' He said, 'I know the people better than you, because I had the hardest experience to bring Bani Israel to obedience. Your followers cannot put up with such obligation. So, return to your Lord and request Him (to reduce the number of prayers.' I returned and requested Allah (for reduction) and He made it forty. I returned and (met Moses) and had a similar discussion, and then returned again to Allah for reduction and He made it thirty, then twenty, then ten, and then I came to Moses who repeated the same advice. Ultimately Allah reduced it to five. When I came to Moses again, he said, 'What have you done?' I said, 'Allah has made it five only.' He repeated the same advice but I said that I surrendered (to Allah's Final Order)'" Allah's Apostle was addressed by Allah, "I have decreed My Obligation and have reduced the burden on My slaves, and I shall reward a single good deed as if it were ten good deeds."

03rd Version :
==========
Shahih Bukhari , Volume 5, Book 58, Number 227
----------------------------------------------------------
Narrated Abbas bin Malik:
……….. Then the prayers were enjoined on me: They were fifty prayers a day. When I returned, I passed by Moses who asked (me), 'What have you been ordered to do?' I replied, 'I have been ordered to offer fifty prayers a day.' Moses said, 'Your followers cannot bear fifty prayers a day, and by Allah, I have tested people before you, and I have tried my level best with Bani Israel (in vain). Go back to your Lord and ask for reduction to lessen your followers' burden.' So I went back, and Allah reduced ten prayers for me. Then again I came to Moses, but he repeated the same as he had said before. Then again I went back to Allah and He reduced ten more prayers. When I came back to Moses he said the same, I went back to Allah and He ordered me to observe ten prayers a day. When I came back to Moses, he repeated the same advice, so I went back to Allah and was ordered to observe five prayers a day.
When I came back to Moses, he said, 'What have you been ordered?' I replied, 'I have been ordered to observe five prayers a day.' He said, 'Your followers cannot bear five prayers a day, and no doubt, I have got an experience of the people before you, and I have tried my level best with Bani Israel, so go back to your Lord and ask for reduction to lessen your follower's burden.' I said, 'I have requested so much of my Lord that I feel ashamed, but I am satisfied now and surrender to Allah's Order.' When I left, I heard a voice saying, 'I have passed My Order and have lessened the burden of My Worshipers."

04th Version :
===========
Muslim Chapter 75: NIGHT JOURNEY OF THE MESSENGER OF ALLAH (MAY PEACE BE UPON HIM) TO HEAVEN, AND THE PRAYER MADE OBLIGATORY

Book 001, Number 0309
----------------------------------------------------

It is narrated on the authority of Anas b. Malik that …….
Then Allah revealed to me a revelation and He made obligatory for me fifty prayers every day and night. Then I went down to Moses (peace be upon him) and he said: What has your Lord enjoined upon your Ummah? I said: Fifty prayers. He said: Return to thy Lord and beg for reduction (in the number of prayers), for your community shallnot be able to bear this burden. as I have put to test the children of Isra'il and tried them (and found them too weak to bear such a heavy burden). He (the Holy Prophet) said: I went back to my Lord and said: My Lord, make things lighter for my Ummah. (The Lord) reduced five prayers for me. I went down to Moses and said. (The Lord) reduced five (prayers) for me, He said: Verily thy Ummah shall not be able to bear this burden; return to thy Lord and ask Him to make things lighter. I then kept going back and forth between my Lord Blessed and Exalted and Moses, till He said: There are five prayers every day and night. O Muhammad, each being credited as ten, so that makes fifty prayers. He who intends to do a good deed and does not do it will have a good deed recorded for him; and if he does it, it will be recorded for him as ten; whereas he who intends to do an evil deed and does not do, it will not be recorded for him; and if he does it, only one evil deed will be recorded. I then came down and when I came to Moses and informed him, he said: Go back to thy Lord and ask Him to make things lighter. Upon this the Messenger of Allah remarked: I returned to my Lord until I felt ashamed before Him.

05th Version :
============
Muslim Chapter 75: NIGHT JOURNEY OF THE MESSENGER OF ALLAH (MAY PEACE BE UPON HIM) TO HEAVEN, AND THE PRAYER MADE OBLIGATORY

Book 001, Number 0313
----------------------------------
Anas b. Malik reported: Abu Dharr used to relate that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said:
……..Ibn Hazm and Anas told that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Allah then made fifty prayers obligatory for my Ummah and I returned with that and passed by Moses. Moses, (peace be upon him) said: What has thy Lord enjoined on thy people? I said: Fifty prayers have been made obligatory on them. Moses (peace be upon him) said: Return to thy Lord, for thy Ummah would not be able to bear this burden. Then I came back to my Lord and He remitted a portion out of thut. I then again went to Moses (peace be upon him) and informed him about it He said: Return to thy Lord, for thy Ummah shall not be able to bear this burden. I then went back to my Lord and He said: They are five and at the same time fifty, and what has been said will not be changed. I then returned to Moses and he said: Go back to thy Lord. whereupon I said: I feel ashamed of my Lord. Gabriel then travelled with me till we came to the farthest lote-tree Many a colour had covered it which I do not know. Then I was admitted to Paradise and saw in it domes of pearls, and its soil of musk.

Let us put these in a table for the simplicity and comprehensibility of the readers on the huge differences of those numbers :

Incident ||1st Version | 2nd Version |3rd Version| 4th Version| 5th Version||
Prop. met GOD ||50 Salat |50 Salat | 50 Salat | 50 Salat | 50 Salat ||
Prop. returned1||25 Salat |40 Salat | 40Salat | 45 Salat | Unknown ||
Prop. returned2||12.5 Salat |30 Salat | 30 Salat |40 Salat | 05 Salat ||
Prop. returned3||05 Salat |20 Salat | 10 Salat | 35 Salat | ....... ||
Prop. returned4|| ........... |10 Salat | 05 Salat | 30 Salat | .......... ||
Prop. returned5|| ............ |05 Salat | ............. | 25 Salat | .......... ||
Prop. returned6|| ............ | ............ | ............ |20 Salat | ........... ||
Prop. returned7|| ............. | ........... | .............. | 15 Salat | ........... ||
Prop. returned8|| ............. | ........... | ............. | 10 Salat | ............ ||
Prop. returned9|| ............ | ........... | ............. | 05 Salat | ............ ||

Union

Last but not least .... how many times the Prophet used to pray daily before that dubious journey of Isra and Miraj ? Ibn Kathir mentioned it in his Tafsir :
http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1725&Itemid=106
http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1725&Itemid=106

(So bear with patience all that they say, ) in reference to those who deny the Prophet , ordering him to be patient with them and turn away from them in a good way,

﴿وَسَبِّحْ بِحَمْدِ رَبِّكَ قَبْلَ طُلُوعِ الشَّمْسِ وَقَبْلَ الْغُرُوبِ﴾

(and glorify the praises of your Lord, before the rising of the sun and before (its) setting.) There were two ordained prayers prior to the Isra' journey. One before the rising of the sun at dawn and the other before sunset in the evening. Qiyam Al-Layl, prayer at night, was a command for the Prophet and his followers for sometime but it was later abrogated for the Ummah. Later, during the Isra' journey, Allah abrogated all of the previous orders for prayer by ordaining five daily prayers, including the prayers of Fajr before sunrise, and `Asr in the late afternoon. Imam Ahmad recorded that Jarir bin `Abdullah said, "When we were sitting with the Prophet , he looked at the full moon and said,

«أَمَا إِنَّكُمْ سَتُعْرَضُونَ عَلَى رَبِّكُمْ فَتَرَوْنَهُ كَمَا تَرَوْنَ هذَا الْقَمَرَ لَا تُضَامُّونَ فِيهِ، فَإِنِ اسْتَطَعْتُمْ أَنْ لَا تُغْلَبُوا عَلَى صَلَاةٍ قَبْلَ طُلُوعِ الشَّمْسِ وَقَبْلَ غُرُوبِهَا فَافْعَلُوا»

(Certainly you will be brought before your Lord and will see Him as you see this moon, and you will have no trouble in seeing Him. So, if you can avoid missing the prayer before the sunrise and the prayer before sunset, you must do so.) He then recited Allah's statement,

(and glorify the praises of your Lord, before the rising of the sun and before (its) setting.)''' The Two Sahihs and the rest of the Group collected this Hadith through the chain of Isma`il. Allah the Exalted said,

﴿وَمِنَ الَّيْلِ فَسَبِّحْهُ﴾

(And during a part of the night glorify His praises), meaning pray to Him. Allah said Ayah,

﴿وَمِنَ الَّيْلِ فَتَهَجَّدْ بِهِ نَافِلَةً لَّكَ عَسَى أَن يَبْعَثَكَ رَبُّكَ مَقَاماً مَّحْمُودًا ﴾

(And in some parts of the night offer the Salah with it, as an additional prayer for you. It may be that your Lord will raise you to Maqam Mahmud.) (17:79) Ibn Abi Najih reported that Mujahid said that Ibn `Abbas said that,

﴿وَأَدْبَـرَ السُّجُودِ﴾

(and after the prostrations.) refers to Tasbih, i.e. glorifying Allah's praises, after the prayers. There is a Hadith collected in the Two Sahihs that supports this meaning. Abu Hurayrah said, "Some poor migrants came and said, `O Allah's Messenger! The wealthy people will get higher grades and will have permanent enjoyment. ' The Prophet said,

«وَمَا ذَاكَ؟»

(Why is that) They said, `They pray as we do, fast as we do, yet they give charity, but we can not. They free slaves, but we can not.' The Prophet said,

«أَفَلَا أُعَلِّمُكُمْ شَيْئًا إِذَا فَعَلْتُمُوهُ سَبَقْتُمْ مَنْ بَعْدَكُمْ وَلَا يَكُونُ أَحَدٌ أَفْضَلَ مِنْكُمْ إِلَّا مَنْ فَعَلَ مِثْلَ مَا فَعَلْتُمْ؟ تُسَبِّحُونَ وَتَحْمَدُونَ وَتُكَبِّرُونَ دُبُرَ كُلِّ صَلَاةٍ ثَلَاثًا وَثَلَاثِين»

(Shall I tell you about something that, if you did it, you would catch up with those who have surpassed you and nobody would be better than you except those who would do the same Say, `Subhan Allah, Alhamdulillah and Allahu Akbar,' thirty-three times each after every prayer.) Later, they came back and said, `O Allah's Messenger! Our brethren, the wealthy Muslims, heard of what we did and they also did the same.' The Prophet said,

«ذلِكَ فَضْلُ اللهِ يُؤْتِيهِ مَنْ يَشَاء»

(This is a favor and grace of Allah, and He grants it to whom He wills.)'' There is another way of explaining the Ayah. It is that Allah's statement,

﴿وَأَدْبَـرَ السُّجُودِ﴾

(and after the prostrations.) refers to the two Rak`ahs after the Maghrib prayer. This was reported from `Umar bin Al-Khattab, `Ali bin Abi Talib and his son Al-Hasan, `Abdullah bin `Abbas, Abu Hurayrah and Abu Umamah, may Allah be pleased with them. This is also the saying of Mujahid, `Ikrimah, Ash-Sha`bi, An-Nakha`i, Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Qatadah, and others.

﴿وَاسْتَمِعْ يَوْمَ يُنَادِ الْمُنَادِ مِن مَّكَانٍ قَرِيبٍ - يَوْمَ يَسْمَعُونَ الصَّيْحَةَ بِالْحَقِّ ذَلِكَ يَوْمُ الْخُرُوجِ - إِنَّا نَحْنُ نُحْىِ وَنُمِيتُ وَإِلَيْنَا الْمَصِيرُ - يَوْمَ تَشَقَّقُ الاٌّرْضُ عَنْهُمْ سِرَاعاً ذَلِكَ حَشْرٌ عَلَيْنَا يَسِيرٌ - نَّحْنُ أَعْلَمُ بِمَا يَقُولُونَ وَمَآ أَنتَ عَلَيْهِمْ بِجَبَّارٍ فَذَكِّرْ بِالْقُرْءَانِ مَن يَخَافُ وَعِيدِ ﴾

(41. And listen on the Day when the caller will call from a near place.) (42. The Day when they will hear As-Sayhah in truth, that will be the Day of coming out.) (43. Verily, it is We Who give life and cause death; and to Us is the final return.) (44. On the Day when the earth shall be cleft, from off them (they will come out) hastening forth. That will be a gathering, quite easy for Us.) (45. We know best what they say. And you are not the one to force them. But warn by the Qur'an; him who fears My threat.)

zahra67

Narrated Abu Dhar:
Allah's Apostle said, "While I was at Mecca the roof of my house was opened and Gabriel descended, opened my chest, and washed it with Zam-zam water. Then he brought a golden tray full of wisdom and faith and having poured its contents into my chest, he closed it. Then he took my hand and ascended with me to the nearest heaven, when I reached the nearest heaven, Gabriel said to the gatekeeper of the heaven, 'Open (the gate).' The gatekeeper asked, 'Who is it?' Gabriel answered: 'Gabriel.' He asked, 'Is there anyone with you?' Gabriel replied, 'Yes, Muhammad I is with me.' He asked, 'Has he been called?' Gabriel said, 'Yes.' So the gate was opened and we went over the nearest heaven and there we saw a man sitting with some people on his right and some on his left. When he looked towards his right, he laughed and when he looked toward his left he wept. Then he said, 'Welcome! O pious Prophet and pious son.' I asked Gabriel, 'Who is he?' He replied, 'He is Adam and the people on his right and left are the souls of his offspring. Those on his right are the people of Paradise and those on his left are the people of Hell and when he looks towards his right he laughs and when he looks towards his left he weeps.'

Then he ascended with me till he reached the second heaven and he (Gabriel) said to its gatekeeper, 'Open (the gate).' The gatekeeper said to him the same as the gatekeeper of the first heaven had said and he opened the gate. Anas said: "Abu Dhar added that the Prophet met Adam, Idris, Moses, Jesus and Abraham, he (Abu Dhar) did not mention on which heaven they were but he mentioned that he (the Prophet ) met Adarn on the nearest heaven and Abraham on the sixth heaven. Anas said, "When Gabriel along with the Prophet passed by Idris, the latter said, 'Welcome! O pious Prophet and pious brother.' The Prophet asked, 'Who is he?' Gabriel replied, 'He is Idris." The Prophet added, "I passed by Moses and he said, 'Welcome! O pious Prophet and pious brother.' I asked Gabriel, 'Who is he?' Gabriel replied, 'He is Moses.' Then I passed by Jesus and he said, 'Welcome! O pious brother and pious Prophet.' I asked, 'Who is he?' Gabriel replied, 'He is Jesus.
Then I passed by Abraham and he said, 'Welcome! O pious Prophet and pious son.' I asked Gabriel, 'Who is he?' Gabriel replied, 'He is Abraham. The Prophet added, 'Then Gabriel ascended with me to a place where I heard the creaking of the pens." Ibn Hazm and Anas bin Malik said: The Prophet said, "Then Allah enjoined fifty prayers on my followers when I returned with this order of Allah, I passed by Moses who asked me, 'What has Allah enjoined on your followers?' I replied, 'He has enjoined fifty prayers on them.' Moses said, 'Go back to your Lord (and appeal for reduction) for your followers will not be able to bear it.' (So I went back to Allah and requested for reduction) and He reduced it to half. When I passed by Moses again and informed him about it, he said, 'Go back to your Lord as your followers will not be able to bear it.' So I returned to Allah and requested for further reduction and half of it was reduced. I again passed by Moses and he said to me: 'Return to your Lord, for your followers will not be able to bear it. So I returned to Allah and He said, 'These are five prayers and they are all (equal to) fifty (in reward) for My Word does not change.' I returned to Moses and he told me to go back once again. I replied, 'Now I feel shy of asking my Lord again.' Then Gabriel took me till we '' reached Sidrat-il-Muntaha (Lote tree of; the utmost boundry) which was shrouded in colors, indescribable. Then I was admitted into Paradise where I found small (tents or) walls (made) of pearls and its earth was of musk."

01- All-Knowing GOD was changing his mind and words again and again , which is against HIS Exalted nature being the supreme GOD .
02- Prophet Muhammad was having no knowledge and care about his followers though Prophet Moses knew more than him and of course more than GOD Himself that what to do and what not merely sitting in heaven .

Then again Almighty ALLAH reduced it to another half , i.e., 25/2 = 12 ½ prayers for Muslims .

salam.
your reward with allah, our holy prophet and there ahl albayt peace be upon them.
your post was great,
but i wanted to mention two points.

1/ according to this aya and many hadis,
prophet mohammad and his ahl albayt are immaculate by devine will
consider this aya 33 of chapter 33 ahzab in the holy quran:

Allah only desires to keep away the uncleanness from you, O people of the House! and to purify you a [thorough] purifying.

zahra67

Last but not least .... how many times the Prophet used to pray daily before that dubious journey of Isra and Miraj ? Ibn Kathir mentioned it in his Tafsir :

(So bear with patience all that they say, ) in reference to those who deny the Prophet , ordering him to be patient with them and turn away from them in a good way,

(and glorify the praises of your Lord, before the rising of the sun and before (its) setting.) There were two ordained prayers prior to the Isra' journey. One before the rising of the sun at dawn and the other before sunset in the evening. Qiyam Al-Layl, prayer at night, was a command for the Prophet and his followers for sometime but it was later abrogated for the Ummah. Later, during the Isra' journey, Allah abrogated all of the previous orders for prayer by ordaining five daily prayers, including the prayers of Fajr before sunrise, and `Asr in the late afternoon. Imam Ahmad recorded that Jarir bin `Abdullah said, "When we were sitting with the Prophet , he looked at the full moon and said,

«أَمَا إِنَّكُمْ سَتُعْرَضُونَ عَلَى رَبِّكُمْ فَتَرَوْنَهُ كَمَا تَرَوْنَ هذَا الْقَمَرَ لَا تُضَامُّونَ فِيهِ، فَإِنِ اسْتَطَعْتُمْ أَنْ لَا تُغْلَبُوا عَلَى صَلَاةٍ قَبْلَ طُلُوعِ الشَّمْسِ وَقَبْلَ غُرُوبِهَا فَافْعَلُوا»

(Certainly you will be brought before your Lord and will see Him as you see this moon, and you will have no trouble in seeing Him. So, if you can avoid missing the prayer before the sunrise and the prayer before sunset, you must do so.) He then recited Allah's statement,

(and glorify the praises of your Lord, before the rising of the sun and before (its) setting.)''' The Two Sahihs and the rest of the Group collected this Hadith through the chain of Isma`il. Allah the Exalted said,

﴿وَمِنَ الَّيْلِ فَسَبِّحْهُ﴾

(And during a part of the night glorify His praises), meaning pray to Him. Allah said Ayah,

﴿وَمِنَ الَّيْلِ فَتَهَجَّدْ بِهِ نَافِلَةً لَّكَ عَسَى أَن يَبْعَثَكَ رَبُّكَ مَقَاماً مَّحْمُودًا ﴾

(And in some parts of the night offer the Salah with it, as an additional prayer for you. It may be that your Lord will raise you to Maqam Mahmud.) (17:79) Ibn Abi Najih reported that Mujahid said that Ibn `Abbas said that,

﴿وَأَدْبَـرَ السُّجُودِ﴾

(and after the prostrations.) refers to Tasbih, i.e. glorifying Allah's praises, after the prayers. There is a Hadith collected in the Two Sahihs that supports this meaning. Abu Hurayrah said, "Some poor migrants came and said, `O Allah's Messenger! The wealthy people will get higher grades and will have permanent enjoyment. ' The Prophet said,

«وَمَا ذَاكَ؟»

(Why is that) They said, `They pray as we do, fast as we do, yet they give charity, but we can not. They free slaves, but we can not.' The Prophet said,

«أَفَلَا أُعَلِّمُكُمْ شَيْئًا إِذَا فَعَلْتُمُوهُ سَبَقْتُمْ مَنْ بَعْدَكُمْ وَلَا يَكُونُ أَحَدٌ أَفْضَلَ مِنْكُمْ إِلَّا مَنْ فَعَلَ مِثْلَ مَا فَعَلْتُمْ؟ تُسَبِّحُونَ وَتَحْمَدُونَ وَتُكَبِّرُونَ دُبُرَ كُلِّ صَلَاةٍ ثَلَاثًا وَثَلَاثِين»

(Shall I tell you about something that, if you did it, you would catch up with those who have surpassed you and nobody would be better than you except those who would do the same Say, `Subhan Allah, Alhamdulillah and Allahu Akbar,' thirty-three times each after every prayer.) Later, they came back and said, `O Allah's Messenger! Our brethren, the wealthy Muslims, heard of what we did and they also did the same.' The Prophet said,

«ذلِكَ فَضْلُ اللهِ يُؤْتِيهِ مَنْ يَشَاء»

(This is a favor and grace of Allah, and He grants it to whom He wills.)'' There is another way of explaining the Ayah. It is that Allah's statement,

﴿وَأَدْبَـرَ السُّجُودِ﴾

(and after the prostrations.) refers to the two Rak`ahs after the Maghrib prayer. This was reported from `Umar bin Al-Khattab, `Ali bin Abi Talib and his son Al-Hasan, `Abdullah bin `Abbas, Abu Hurayrah and Abu Umamah, may Allah be pleased with them. This is also the saying of Mujahid, `Ikrimah, Ash-Sha`bi, An-Nakha`i, Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Qatadah, and others.

﴿وَاسْتَمِعْ يَوْمَ يُنَادِ الْمُنَادِ مِن مَّكَانٍ قَرِيبٍ - يَوْمَ يَسْمَعُونَ الصَّيْحَةَ بِالْحَقِّ ذَلِكَ يَوْمُ الْخُرُوجِ - إِنَّا نَحْنُ نُحْىِ وَنُمِيتُ وَإِلَيْنَا الْمَصِيرُ - يَوْمَ تَشَقَّقُ الاٌّرْضُ عَنْهُمْ سِرَاعاً ذَلِكَ حَشْرٌ عَلَيْنَا يَسِيرٌ - نَّحْنُ أَعْلَمُ بِمَا يَقُولُونَ وَمَآ أَنتَ عَلَيْهِمْ بِجَبَّارٍ فَذَكِّرْ بِالْقُرْءَانِ مَن يَخَافُ وَعِيدِ ﴾

(41. And listen on the Day when the caller will call from a near place.) (42. The Day when they will hear As-Sayhah in truth, that will be the Day of coming out.) (43. Verily, it is We Who give life and cause death; and to Us is the final return.) (44. On the Day when the earth shall be cleft, from off them (they will come out) hastening forth. That will be a gathering, quite easy for Us.) (45. We know best what they say. And you are not the one to force them. But warn by the Qur'an; him who fears My threat.)
and 2/ about the hadis you mentioned how do you combine it with this verse of the holy quran?
chapter 6, verse 103
Vision comprehends Him not, and He comprehends [all] vision; and He is the Knower of subtleties, the Aware.
this means that people recognize and see God by there hearts, not there eyes.

thanks again for your post and jazakum Allah.
God bless you.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not a visitor to this forum. Not a Muslim. But I will like to mention that worship/tending the house-fire five times a day was done in Vedas as well as with Zoroastrians. The fire was known as "Garhapatya agni". It was given to every newly married couple with a tinder from the house-fire of the boy's father, and his wife was supposed to tend it all her life. It was extinguished only when one of the couple died. The description of the rituals is given in various books among Hindus known as "Grahya Sutras".
I will not be posting in the topic again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalpa_(Vedanga)#Smarta_Sutras;

Griha.jpg

Union

salam.
your reward with allah, our holy prophet and there ahl albayt peace be upon them.
your post was great,
but i wanted to mention two points.

1/ according to this aya and many hadis,
prophet mohammad and his ahl albayt are immaculate by devine will
consider this aya 33 of chapter 33 ahzab in the holy quran:

Allah only desires to keep away the uncleanness from you, O people of the House! and to purify you a [thorough] purifying.
Thanks a lot Sis for your kind words . Also thanks to share the noble verse of the Qur'an .

Union

and 2/ about the hadis you mentioned how do you combine it with this verse of the holy quran?
chapter 6, verse 103
Vision comprehends Him not, and He comprehends [all] vision; and He is the Knower of subtleties, the Aware.
this means that people recognize and see God by there hearts, not there eyes.
thanks again for your post and jazakum Allah.
God bless you.

Thanks a lot for pointing it out .

Union

Not a visitor to this forum. Not a Muslim. But I will like to mention that worship/tending the house-fire five times a day was done in Vedas as well as with Zoroastrians. The fire was known as "Garhapatya agni". It was given to every newly married couple with a tinder from the house-fire of the boy's father, and his wife was supposed to tend it all her life. It was extinguished only when one of the couple died. The description of the rituals is given in various books among Hindus known as "Grahya Sutras".
I will not be posting in the topic again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalpa_(Vedanga)#Smarta_Sutras;

View attachment 14218

The info you provided is really interesting . Thanks a lot for your contribution .

mojtaba

Narrated Abu Dhar:

I am Shia, and Shias are not responsible for what is in Sunni books like Sahih[ Sahih and non-Sahih ] of Al-Bukhari. But, because you are going to reject the facts like Mi'raj and five Salats, I send my comment.

The translation is not correct, so that there is not any mathematical problem.

The term 'شطر' which is in the Hadith doesn't only mean 'the half'. It also means جزء من الشيء[ i.e., a part of every thing ]. See here. Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalani also has said, ' أو المراد بالشطر في حديث الباب البعض[ or the meaning of the 'شطر' in the Hadith of this chapter is 'part' ]. See Fat-hul Bari Fi Sharhi Sahih Al-Bukhari by Al-Asqalani, V.1, P.551.

So, the ff sentence in the Hadith, فوضع شطرها, does not mean 'He reduced it to half', but rather it means, ' He reduced some parts of it[ i.e., 10 Salats ] '. This meaning could be proved by another Hadith in Sahih Al-Bukhari that says that Allah reduced those 50 Salats 10 by10 till 10 Salats and finally He(swt) reduced it by 5 and remined 5 Salats that had/have the effect of those 50 Salats, because Allah says, 'Whoso brings a good deed shall have ten the like of it'[6:160]. See, Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol. 5, Book 58, Hadith 227.

Therefore, there is not any mathematical mistake in the Hadih.

Last edited:

mojtaba

Are you familiar with Quran?

Chapter 8
O Prophet! Urge on the faithful to fight[ against those who are fighting against you ]: If there be twenty patient men among you, they shall overcome two hundred; and if there be a hundred of you, they shall overcome a thousand of the faithless, for they are a lot who do not understand. (65) Now Allah has lightened your burden, knowing that there is weakness in you. So if there be a hundred patient men among you, they shall overcome two hundred; and if there be a thousand, they shall overcome two thousand, by Allah’s leave; and Allah is with the patient.(66)

mojtaba

02- Prophet Muhammad was having no knowledge and care about his followers though Prophet Moses knew more than him and of course more than GOD
God wanted to reduce the Salats throught the Shifa'ah of one of His Prophets, that is Prophet Moses. What is wrong with you?
God knew that He finally would reduce the Salats to the 5. But, He wanted to do so through the Shifa'ah of Prophet Moses(anwawas).

The Hadith does not mean God or Prophet Muhammad were ignorant about an issue that Moses was awar of. That is Shifa'ah.

That is just like the Prophecy of Prophet Aaron. If we think like you, we should believe that Prophet Moses knew more that God.[ نعوذ بالله ]

Chapter 28:
He[ Moses ] said, ‘My Lord! Indeed, I have killed one of their men, so I fear they will kill me. (33) Moreover my brother Aaron is more eloquent than me in speech. So send him with me as a helper to confirm me, for I fear that they will impugn me.’ (34) He said, ‘We will strengthen your arm by means of your brother, and invest both of you with such authority that they will not touch you. (35)

Chapter 20:
[ O my Lord ] Appoint for me a minister from my family, (29) Aaron, my brother. (30)Strengthen my back through him, (31) and make him my associate in my task, (32) so that we may glorify You greatly, (33) and remember You greatly. (34) Indeed You see us best.’ (35) He said, ‘Moses, your request has been granted! (36)

mojtaba

As I proved in the post #12, there is not any mathematical mistake. It is indeed your misunderstanding.

Wal Hamdoo Lillahi Wahdah.

mojtaba

As I mentioned in that thread, the following verse proves that Prophet Muhammad( peace be upon him and his pure progeny ) went to Mi'raj and saw the other Prophets(anwawas) and talk with them.

'Ask[ O Muhammad ] those of Our Messengers We sent before thee: Have We appointed, apart from the All-merciful, gods to be served?'[43:45]

This verse proves that Prophet Muhammad( peace be upon him and his pure progeny ) saw the other Messengers that passed away before him, and also proves that he talked with them. So, this verse, like other verses which say that Prophet Muhammad went to the Eden, proves his Mi'raj and his talking with Prophets.

Union

I am Shia, and Shias are not responsible for what is in Sunni books like Sahih[ Sahih and non-Sahih ] of Al-Bukhari. But, because you are going to reject the facts like Mi'raj and five Salats, I send my comment.

The translation is not correct, so that there is not any mathematical problem.

The term 'شطر' which is in the Hadith doesn't only mean 'the half'. It also means جزء من الشيء[ i.e., a part of every thing ]. See here. Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalani also has said, ' أو المراد بالشطر في حديث الباب البعض[ or the meaning of the 'شطر' in the Hadith of this chapter is 'part' ]. See Fat-hul Bari Fi Sharhi Sahih Al-Bukhari by Al-Asqalani, V.1, P.551.

So, the ff sentence in the Hadith, فوضع شطرها, does not mean 'He reduced it to half', but rather it means, ' He reduced some parts of it[ i.e., 10 Salats ] '. This meaning could be proved by another Hadith in Sahih Al-Bukhari that says that Allah reduced those 50 Salats 10 by10 till 10 Salats and finally He(swt) reduced it by 5 and remined 5 Salats that had/have the effect of those 50 Salats, because Allah says, 'Whoso brings a good deed shall have ten the like of it'[6:160]. See, Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol. 5, Book 58, Hadith 227.

Therefore, there is not any mathematical mistake in the Hadih.

Now at my possession I have two famous English translations of Bukhari , which both of them understood ‘Shatr’ as half (50% -50% or 1/2-1/2) in general sense and didn’t give an iota of hints that it should be approximate half .

Dr. M. Khan :

…. I replied, 'He has enjoined fifty prayers on them.' Moses said, 'Go back to your Lord (and appeal for reduction) for your followers will not be able to bear it.' (So I went back to Allah and requested for reduction) and He reduced it to half. When I passed by Moses again and informed him about it, he said, 'Go back to your Lord as your followers will not be able to bear it.' So I returned to Allah and requested for further reduction and half of it was reduced. I again passed by Moses and he said to me: 'Return to your Lord, for your followers will not be able to bear it. So I returned to Allah and He said, 'These are five prayers and they are all (equal to) fifty (in reward) for My Word does not change.'………..

Ustada A. Bewley :

…… I said, 'He has prescribed fifty prayers.`" He said, 'Go back to your Lord. Your community will not be able to manage that.' He made me go back and He reduced it to half. Then I returned to Musa and I said, 'He reduced them to half.' He said, 'Go back to your Lord. Your community will not be able to manage that.' I returned and He halved them again and I returned to him. He said, 'Go back to your Lord. Your community will not be able to manage that.' I returned to Him and He said, "'They are five and they are fifty. My word does not change……

The wise translators didn’t use ‘about’ or ‘approximate’ or ‘almost’ etc. word in front the ‘half’ rather render the real meaning of ‘Shatr’ as simply as its true meaning .

Okay , now lets move on to the lexicons . I have in my hand two famous lexicons/Dicts. . Let me produce from them what they had to say about ‘Shatr’ .

Hans Wehr Arabic-English Dictionary
Edited By : JM . Cowan
Spoken Language Services, Inc.
New York
ISBN 0-87950-001-8
Page 471
----------------------------------

شطر : to halve , divided into two (equal) parts, bisect , cut through ……

Arabic- English Lexicon
By : Edward William Lane
Libarairie Du Liban
Beirut Lebanon
Page 1550-1551
----------------------------------------

شطر : He halved it , divided into two halves .

He milked one شطر of camel teat and leave شطر the other
She-camel had one teat شطر dried up and other شطر full of milk
She-camel had one teat شطر longer than the other شطر.
ولد فلان شطرة The offspring of such a one are half males and half females
مشطؤر [Halved -And Hence] A verse of the meter termed الرجز and of that termed السريع, having three (03) of its six (03) having fect manting properly , having half therof taken away .

Lane went on details of the usage of this word شطر from day to day to life and also from Hadith and the Qur’an , But nowhere it appeared that it could be a approximate half division , especially when it comes to the division of number .

Union

Let us see the practical use of شطر from few Hadith it self :

01. Narrated Ibn `Abbas:

The custom (in old days) was that the property of the deceased would be inherited by his offspring; as for the parents (of the deceased), they would inherit by the will of the deceased. Then Allah cancelled from that custom whatever He wished and fixed for the male double the amount inherited by the female, and for each parent a sixth (of the whole legacy) and for the wife an eighth or a fourth and for the husband a half or a fourth.

حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ يُوسُفَ، عَنْ وَرْقَاءَ، عَنِ ابْنِ أَبِي نَجِيحٍ، عَنْ عَطَاءٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ ـ رضى الله عنهما ـ قَالَ كَانَ الْمَالُ لِلْوَلَدِ، وَكَانَتِ الْوَصِيَّةُ لِلْوَالِدَيْنِ، فَنَسَخَ اللَّهُ مِنْ ذَلِكَ مَا أَحَبَّ، فَجَعَلَ لِلذَّكَرِ مِثْلَ حَظِّ الأُنْثَيَيْنِ، وَجَعَلَ لِلأَبَوَيْنِ لِكُلِّ وَاحِدٍ مِنْهُمَا السُّدُسَ، وَجَعَلَ لِلْمَرْأَةِ الثُّمُنَ وَالرُّبْعَ، وَلِلزَّوْجِ الشَّطْرَ وَالرُّبُعَ‏.‏

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 2747
In-book reference : Book 55, Hadith 10

Narrated Bashir ibn Yasar:

When Allah bestowed Khaybar on the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) as fay' (spoils of war without fighting), he divided the whole into thirty six lots. He put aside a half, i.e. eighteen lots, for the Muslims. Each lot comprised one hundred shares, and the Prophet (ﷺ) was with them. He received a share like the share of one of them.

The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) separated eighteen lots, that is, half, for his future needs and whatever befell the Muslims. These were al-Watih, al-Kutaybah, as-Salalim and their colleagues. When all this property came in the possession of the Prophet (ﷺ) and of the Muslims, they did not have sufficient labourers to work on it. The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) called Jews and employed them on contract.

حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ مِسْكِينٍ الْيَمَامِيُّ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ حَسَّانَ، حَدَّثَنَا سُلَيْمَانُ، - يَعْنِي ابْنَ بِلاَلٍ - عَنْ يَحْيَى بْنِ سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ بُشَيْرِ بْنِ يَسَارٍ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم لَمَّا أَفَاءَ اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ خَيْبَرَ قَسَمَهَا سِتَّةً وَثَلاَثِينَ سَهْمًا جَمْعًا فَعَزَلَ لِلْمُسْلِمِينَ الشَّطْرَ ثَمَانِيَةَ عَشَرَ سَهْمًا يَجْمَعُ كُلُّ سَهْمٍ مِائَةً النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم مَعَهُمْ لَهُ سَهْمٌ كَسَهْمِ أَحَدِهِمْ وَعَزَلَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ثَمَانِيَةَ عَشَرَ سَهْمًا وَهُوَ الشَّطْرُ لِنَوَائِبِهِ وَمَا يَنْزِلُ بِهِ مِنْ أَمْرِ الْمُسْلِمِينَ فَكَانَ ذَلِكَ الْوَطِيحَ وَالْكُتَيْبَةَ وَالسُّلاَلِمَ وَتَوَابِعَهَا فَلَمَّا صَارَتِ الأَمْوَالُ بِيَدِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم وَالْمُسْلِمِينَ لَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُمْ عُمَّالٌ يَكْفُونَهُمْ عَمَلَهَا فَدَعَا رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم الْيَهُودَ فَعَامَلَهُمْ ‏.‏

Reference : Sunan Abi Dawud 3014
In-book reference : Book 20, Hadith 87
English translation : Book 19, Hadith 3008

Abu Qatada reported that Abu al Malih informed me:

I went along with your father to 'Abdullah b. Amr, and he narrated to us that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) was informed about my fasting and he came to me, and I placed a leather cushion filled with fibre of date-palms for him. He sat down upon the ground and there was that cushion between me and him, and he said to me: Does three days' fasting in a month not suffice you? I said: Messenger of Allah, (I am capable of observing more fasts). He said: (Would) five (not suffice for you)? I said: Messenger of Allah, (I am capable of observing more fasts) He said: (Would) seven (fasts) not suffice you? I said: Messenger of Allah, (I am capable of observing more fasts). He (the Holy Prophet) then said: (Would) nine (fasts not suffice you)? I said: Messenger of Allah, (I am capable of observing more fasts). He said: (Would) eleven (fasts not suffice you)? I said: Messenger of Allah, (I am capable of observing more fasts than these). Thereupon the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: There is no fasting (better than) the fasting of David which comprises half of the age, fasting a day and not fasting a day.

وَحَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ يَحْيَى، أَخْبَرَنَا خَالِدُ بْنُ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ، عَنْ خَالِدٍ، عَنْ أَبِي قِلاَبَةَ، قَالَ أَخْبَرَنِي أَبُو الْمَلِيحِ، قَالَ دَخَلْتُ مَعَ أَبِيكَ عَلَى عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَمْرٍو فَحَدَّثَنَا أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ذُكِرَ لَهُ صَوْمِي فَدَخَلَ عَلَىَّ فَأَلْقَيْتُ لَهُ وِسَادَةً مِنْ أَدَمٍ حَشْوُهَا لِيفٌ فَجَلَسَ عَلَى الأَرْضِ وَصَارَتِ الْوِسَادَةُ بَيْنِي وَبَيْنَهُ فَقَالَ لِي ‏"‏ أَمَا يَكْفِيكَ مِنْ كُلِّ شَهْرٍ ثَلاَثَةُ أَيَّامٍ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قُلْتُ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ خَمْسًا ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قُلْتُ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ سَبْعًا ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قُلْتُ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ تِسْعًا ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قُلْتُ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ أَحَدَ عَشَرَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قُلْتُ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ ‏.‏ فَقَالَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏"‏ لاَ صَوْمَ فَوْقَ صَوْمِ دَاوُدَ شَطْرُ الدَّهْرِ صِيَامُ يَوْمٍ وَإِفْطَارُ يَوْمٍ ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Reference
: Sahih Muslim 1159 m
In-book reference : Book 13, Hadith 247

Union

Are you familiar with Quran?

Chapter 8
O Prophet! Urge on the faithful to fight[ against those who are fighting against you ]: If there be twenty patient men among you, they shall overcome two hundred; and if there be a hundred of you, they shall overcome a thousand of the faithless, for they are a lot who do not understand. (65) Now Allah has lightened your burden, knowing that there is weakness in you. So if there be a hundred patient men among you, they shall overcome two hundred; and if there be a thousand, they shall overcome two thousand, by Allah’s leave; and Allah is with the patient.(66)

Strong people Vs. Weak people . Simple as it is .

Union

As I mentioned in that thread, the following verse proves that Prophet Muhammad( peace be upon him and his pure progeny ) went to Mi'raj and saw the other Prophets(anwawas) and talk with them.

'Ask[ O Muhammad ] those of Our Messengers We sent before thee: Have We appointed, apart from the All-merciful, gods to be served?'[43:45]

This verse proves that Prophet Muhammad( peace be upon him and his pure progeny ) saw the other Messengers that passed away before him, and also proves that he talked with them. So, this verse, like other verses which say that Prophet Muhammad went to the Eden, proves his Mi'raj and his talking with Prophets.
Replied on the other thread.