• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Op Ed: Whodunit ?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think it is Pence. I thought so before I learned of the use of the word "lodestar".

The writer is terribly alienated, feels only the barest of desires to expose Trump's ineptness, seems to be literally unable of accepting anything resembling a progressive policy, and does not realize or does not care that he is enabling the very trends that made Trump possible in the first place.

In other words, he earned Trump's ear and trust, from what I can figure of Trump's own judgement.

Yet he is also enough of a functioning human being to realize that the worst, most obvious excesses must be stopped before tragedy happens, And he paints himself as a freedom fighter as opposed to an enabler of disgrace.

That is a pretty restricted space, and Pence is the most obvious person to exist in it.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I also think it was Pence. And I think the truth will come out before the midterms, one way or the other.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think it is Pence. I thought so before I learned of the use of the word "lodestar".

The writer is terribly alienated, feels only the barest of desires to expose Trump's ineptness, seems to be literally unable of accepting anything resembling a progressive policy, and does not realize or does not care that he is enabling the very trends that made Trump possible in the first place.

In other words, he earned Trump's ear and trust, from what I can figure of Trump's own judgement.

Yet he is also enough of a functioning human being to realize that the worst, most obvious excesses must be stopped before tragedy happens, And he paints himself as a freedom fighter as opposed to an enabler of disgrace.

That is a pretty restricted space, and Pence is the most obvious person to exist in it.

Is Pence unaware of his rather unique use of the word "lodestar"? If I was a staffer and wanted to switch the attention from me a use of such a word could cause a much needed distraction.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Knowing next to nothing about the "suspects," and having listened to the run down given the other day by Lawrence O'Donnell on MSNBC, I'm going along with his pick: Dan Coats.

101514628-183962787.530x298.jpg

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Its hard for me to believe that the author did not give a good deal of thought to his/her formulations, fully expecting them to be analyzed by a crazed President and a world of pundits alike. "Lodestar" strikes me as too easy a tell.

Duke_Leto

I personally doubt that it's true, or that it came from anyone of importance; that is, it could be some clerk or intern who wrote this, trying to make as much a stir as possible, if not a writer at the NYT.

It's written to cause a buzz. It says nothing substantial. It's just the latest installation of the media circus surrounding Trump.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I would hope that those running our country are not that dense.
Pence isn't exactly what I would consider bright.Downplaying the dangers of tobacco smoking, going before the state senate to denounce and disprove evolution as "just a theory," and trying to keep same-sex marriage out of Indiana even after the Supreme Court overturned Indiana's law and after the SC legalized same-sex marriage in all 50 states.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I personally doubt that it's true, or that it came from anyone of importance; that is, it could be some clerk or intern who wrote this, trying to make as much a stir as possible, if not a writer at the NYT.

It's written to cause a buzz. It says nothing substantial. It's just the latest installation of the media circus surrounding Trump.
Considering the stories of his reaction to the piece Trump certainly didn't think it was "nothing substantial."

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

I can't help but remember that the NYT prefaced the piece by stating that they know who the contributor is, and that they know the contributor to be a "senior official" in the Trump admin. The Times might hate Trump for calling them "failing" all the time, but I doubt that they would tell a lie of that magnitude in so prominent a place.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Probably no one... If I wanted to make chaos for the White House I'd just invent a mole. So, that's the most likely case. :D

I mean it's far more fun to make them scramble for an imaginary mole than there to really be one. Of course, then that makes Bob Woodward's material even more bull**** as well as the op-ed post.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Probably no one... If I wanted to make chaos for the White House I'd just invent a mole. So, that's the most likely case. :D

I mean it's far more fun to make them scramble for an imaginary mole than there to really be one. Of course, then that makes Bob Woodward's material even more bull**** as well as the op-ed post.
And you know all of this, in your great wisdom, how exactly?

Duke_Leto

Considering the stories of his reaction to the piece Trump certainly didn't think it was "nothing substantial."

Trump reacts to everything. I don't think it means anything.

I can't help but remember that the NYT prefaced the piece by stating that they know who the contributor is, and that they know the contributor to be a "senior official" in the Trump admin. The Times might hate Trump for calling them "failing" all the time, but I doubt that they would tell a lie of that magnitude in so prominent a place.

They wouldn't do it out of spite as much as they would for attention and publicity. And, sure, it would be brazen to lie, but since they don't plan on revealing the source anytime soon, who's going to call them on it?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
They wouldn't do it out of spite as much as they would for attention and publicity. And, sure, it would be brazen to lie, but since they don't plan on revealing the source anytime soon, who's going to call them on it?

Who's going to call them on it? Well, the Administration itself pops quickly to mind, and as I recall they do have some resources....