• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ONLY religious question!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Sorry, had to post this, after having just had a rant in another thread...

To everyone who has a religious belief that the hold to be "the Truth," or "the only way to salvation," I want to ask this one simple question:

What the hell do you think you know that everybody else doesn't? How can you be so blindly stupid as to imagine for yourself a God that could make his truth known to you -- but was utterly powerless to make it known to everybody else?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

To everyone who has a religious belief that the hold to be "the Truth," or "the only way to salvation," I want to ask this one simple question:

What the hell do you think you know that everybody else doesn't? How can you be so blindly stupid as to imagine for yourself a God that could make his truth known to you -- but was utterly powerless to make it known to everybody else?

Because God made it so you have to seek the truth. Even without a god that would be how it works. The truth doesn't come to you, you don't accidentally find it. You have to seek the truth. It can be found it your honest with yourself, open to all ideas and patient.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Because God made it so you have to seek the truth. Even without a god that would be how it works. The truth doesn't come to you, you don't accidentally find it. You have to seek the truth. It can be found it your honest with yourself, open to all ideas and patient.

There is no "truth" that is constant or absolute. Though for many, truth is usually just something they've decided to believe in.

The only truth for me is now. Each moment of existence. Since now is constantly changing, the truth is constantly changing. Truth is not something you can point to and say here is truth. The truth is experienced in each moment of existence. Therefore my truth is going to be different than your truth since my experience differs from yours.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

It is frustrating isn't it? But frustration doesn't change it unfortunately. The way I see it (not that this will help at all) is that understanding is a maturity thing and its progressive, just as kids ability to understand certain concepts is. When I taught school there were always a few kids that you could reason with. I'd talk to them one on one, and explain how their behaviour and general co-operation benefitted the entire class, including themselves, and me. After a couple of attempts, they'd get it, or they came in not needing it.

But then ... there were other kids that simply didn't have the ability. They needed that stern look, that time out, something more on an emotional level to get it.

But some days, yes, I do share your frustration. I deal with it personally by lowering my expectations, sometimes by a lot.

BTW, I do not have any truth to 'share'.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
There is no "truth" that is constant or absolute. Though for many, truth is usually just something they've decided to believe in.

The only truth for me is now. Each moment of existence. Since now is constantly changing, the truth is constantly changing. Truth is not something you can point to and say here is truth. The truth is experienced in each moment of existence. Therefore my truth is going to be different than your truth since my experience differs from yours.

I agree everything is constantly changing is a truth.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How can you be so blindly stupid as to imagine for yourself a God that could make his truth known to you -- but was utterly powerless to make it known to everybody else?
No. It is not a God (or Goddess) but science which tells me the truth. It tells the truth to other people as well. However, some accept it, some don't.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
How can you be so blindly stupid as to imagine for yourself a God that could make his truth known to you -- but was utterly powerless to make it known to everybody else?

Great question! On the surface, it certainly seems monstrously unfair that certain people have experiences that leave them with no doubt while the rest of the population is left to blunder along the best way they know how ...

Best of luck finding an answer that satisfies you.

It's simply egotistical and inseparable from a person's psychology.

One's ancestors believed in [some ****] so that revered ancestor (probably dead) couldn't possibly had it so wrong.

The OP is describing weak minded, insensitive, unthoughtful individuals.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I've made my own personal efforts.

The best I can come up with is: "god is a metaphor for the full sweep of the universe or what cannot be accurately or coherently explained by humans".
Yes I agree, many of us humans are so superstitious about the world that we don't understand, that we make up stupid stories such as god to try and explaine that which we are ignorant about, it really makes me sick.

arthra

Baha'i

My old friend Evangelical... ... How are you these days...

Not all religions suggest they are the "only" way... Some acknowledge what went before as having validity and suggest there is a promised "return" of the truths of the previous one(s).

omega2xx

Christians don't say God is powerless. We teach just the opposite. Do you not know what "Omnipotent" means.

What qualifies you to declare the Bible is not true?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Do narcissism and arrogance seem like human qualities that are in short supply?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not all religions suggest they are the "only" way... Some acknowledge what went before as having validity and suggest there is a promised "return" of the truths of the previous one(s).
Ah, but declared that God will send another only after a millenium, thus leaving no chance for competition. Till then, they are supposed to be the only way. :)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

... and why the hell do you reject science and support Trump?

There can be some pure truth, unfortunately we cannot know exactly what it is and it lies somewhere independent of any of us, so there is no one person's "truth" especially if it violates the law of non-contradiction by differing from another person's "truth."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Funny on how it's continually put that way.

That actually dismissess each and every centralised character mentioned and described in the bible for where God, throughout the bible's entire narrative, does just the opposite.