• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The only difference between religions.

We Never Know

No Slack
No, that doesn't make God that. That is your understanding of God. I have a different understanding of God. You don't own the understanding of God and neither do I.

From my understanding what god is, who god is, how people see god, how god touches people, how god communicates with people, how people communicate with god, and how people view god varies with each person.
But again I could be wrong.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
No, that doesn't make God that. That is your understanding of God. I have a different understanding of God. You don't own the understanding of God and neither do I.
We already established you are philosopher rather than religious, therefore you should know the definition of God:
Definitions of God - PHILOSOPHY DUNGEON (weebly.com)

From my understanding what god is, who god is, how people see god, how god touches people, how god communicates with people, how people communicate with god, and how people view god varies with each person.
Which makes a God made in mans image, a God crafted by man aka. as deity.

Last edited:

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Can he make a rock so big he can't lift it? :rolleyes:
You quoted an answer to your question.

Making stone so heavy he could not lift it again goes against his omnibenevolent nature because by doing so God would limit his omnipotence, but omnibenevolence means love toward itself therefore God is not willing to limit it self.
This doesn't mean God is unable to do so, God certainly could do it.

A question with same weight would be, "Can God kill him self?"
Yes he could since it's omnipotent but it would not because it's also omnibenevolent.
This doesn't mean God is unable to do so, God certainly could do it.

Similar allegory:
I could kill my self but I will not do it because I love my self.
But this doesn't mean I cannot kill myself, I could and I hold that power.

Therefore God could make it (since it's omnipotent) but is not willing because he is omnibenevolent.

Similarly God can't make things which are logically impossible such as making 1 + 1 = 3 or drawing a squared circle.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
We already established you are philosopher rather than religious, therefore you should know the definition of God:
Definitions of God - PHILOSOPHY DUNGEON (weebly.com)

Which makes a God made in mans image, a God crafted by man aka. as deity.

And you should now that you are not a "we" as you use it and there are several definitions of what religion is and I fit some and not others.
Just as there are several definitions of a god a god.
Conceptions of God - Wikipedia
Just as there are several definitions of philosophy, so you use one tradition of philosophy, but I am from another.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So we'll be magically rescued from the effects of our bad decisions? Sweet.
Only the figurative righteous 'sheep' at the coming separating time of Matthew 25:31-33 will be rescued/saved/delivered.
The figurative 'goats' will be destroyed. They will Not be rescued/saved/delivered through the coming 'great tribulation' as found mentioned at Revelation 7:14,9.
Seems as if it could take a thousand years for upright people ('sheep' and resurrected people) to help transform the Earth to once again become a beautiful paradisical Earth as Eden originally was. -1 Corinthians 15:24-26
They will have work to do according to Isaiah 65:21-22 build their houses, plant vineyards and gardens - Amos 9:14

stevecanuck

Are there pictures in the Quran then? Because there are with IKEA instructions, and the reason for that is simple; words are frequently ambiguous, and subject to nuanced interpretation. Hence the need for simple illustrations, to avoid confusion.

Okay, please tell me the many ways that you can take "Allah is the enemy of unbelievers".

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Okay, please tell me the many ways that you can take "Allah is the enemy of unbelievers".

Well, is that an internal struggle in your soul or external struggle in the world for one? There are more interconnected interpretations possible. But I get your method. Read it only literally and Islam is an religion of external war.
And those who read it differently are not relevant, because there is only one way to interpret it. That has a name. It is called dogmatic fundamentalism and that is what it appears you are doing.

stevecanuck

Well, is that an internal struggle in your soul or external struggle in the world for one? There are more interconnected interpretations possible. But I get your method. Read it only literally and Islam is an religion of external war.
And those who read it differently are not relevant, because there is only one way to interpret it. That has a name. It is called dogmatic fundamentalism and that is what it appears you are doing.

I'm explaining dogmatic fundamentalism by showing you where it comes from - the Qur'an.

RestlessSoul

I would have to read it in context, to do the question justice. I am not familiar with the Koran, and I do not speak or read Arabic.

However, if I was to offer a quote from William Blake, Virgil, or The Bible, and ask you to interpret it, there's a fairly strong chance you and I would do so differently.

For example, l how would you interpret the line "Sooner strangle an infant in it's cradle, than nurse unacted desires"?

stevecanuck

I would have to read it in context, to do the question justice.

Fair enough. It's verse 2:98 if you want to check it out.

The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Translation

However, if I was to offer a quote from William Blake, Virgil, or The Bible, and ask you to interpret it, there's a fairly strong chance you and I would do so differently.

For example, l how would you interpret the line "Sooner strangle an infant in it's cradle, than nurse unacted desires"?

I don't see the relevance of this. The verse I gave says "Allah aduwwun al kafareena", which is no uncertain terms means "God is the enemy of unbelievers". The verse you quoted is much more cryptic.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
How can you say that? They are reading instructions that they believe are directly from Allah - verbatim. That's the very definition of being "particular to religion".

No, you are using a certain definition of religion. I am using another one. Further not all Muslims are reading instructions that they believe are directly from Allah - verbatim. Further all religion is not Islam and all religion is not theistic.

stevecanuck

No, you are using a certain definition of religion. I am using another one.

THE definition of Islam is very basic. Muslims believe that Allah sent Gabriel to Mohamed with verbatim verses. Those verses make up the Qur'an, and it defines Islam. A more simple concept is not possible.

Further not all Muslims are reading instructions that they believe are directly from Allah - verbatim.

Yes .... they ... are (the pious and adherent ones). That's what makes them Muslim.

Further all religion is not Islam and all religion is not theistic.

Where did this come from?? You're certainly not responding to anything I said.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
THE definition of Islam is very basic. Muslims believe that Allah sent Gabriel to Mohamed with verbatim verses. Those verses make up the Qur'an, and it defines Islam. A more simple concept is not possible.

Yes .... they ... are (the pious and adherent ones). That's what makes them Muslim.

No, what makes them Muslims is that they consider them Muslims. Not what you believe a Muslim is.