• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The One

Vee

Premium Member
Any of you watched the series "The One" on Netflix?
If that kind of technology existed - and it probably will eventually - would you want to ne matched?
I'm more the whatever happens, happens kind of person, so I'm not sure I would want to get tested to see who's a genetic romantic match.
Would a genetic match really increase the chance of a successful relationship?

PureX

Veteran Member
Compatibility is not a genetic, or even a biological result. It's mostly psychological, and it's also dynamic (ever-changing). So there will be no 'test' one can take to determine such a match.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I thought it was a TV series about romance...
I watched the trailer...it scared me. It really did.

Well...I don't believe in fatalism. I believe in free will. We choose who to love.:)

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
If that kind of technology existed - and it probably will eventually - would you want to ne matched?
I'm more the whatever happens, happens kind of person, so I'm not sure I would want to get tested to see who's a genetic romantic match.
I did see that. You know what it reminds me of two films. One is that film with Emily Blunt and whats his name The Adjustment Bureau. It wasn't about genetics but it posited that people weren't allowed control of their lives, but in the film two people couldn't be controlled as their attraction was too strong and overcame the controls. It was more of a matrix type situation than a genetic one. Also it reminded me of Gattaca. That was a film about a society in which DNA determined which jobs a person was capable of doing. One of the characters had DNA which doomed him to being a janitor, but he was trying to buck the system to become something else.

If we used DNA matching I believe we could create a problem similar to inbreeding. Perhaps at first pairings would seem carefully chosen to maintain diversity, but eventually hidden patterns in our DNA selection process would manifest. We'd wind up repeating some gene or another. It would have to be corrected.

"Would a genetic match really increase the chance of a successful relationship?"
Yes, I think so; but its not similarity which would increase chances but difference. Also it would probably be something you could not normally detect such as the immune system or the gastric system, not so much the size and physical attributes. A DNA match would work with many hidden attributes.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

The idea of "the one" or "soul mates" or any such thing is pseudoscientific woo, IMHO. Lasting, healthy, romantic relationships are possible between many different combinations of people. Generally they require honest communication, compromise, forgiveness, and generally letting go of one's own ego. (Plus sex. Amazing, guilt-free, mind-blowing sex. :D)