• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The One, True Religion? Brilliant Idea or Bogus Bulldust?

Is the notion that there is or can be one, true religion suitable for everyone brilliant or bulldust

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is there one religion that is spiritually suitable to all people? If so, what is it and why is it suitable to all people? If not, can there be such a religion in theory? Why or why not?

Please note: For the sake of discussion, I am defining "spiritual" in this context as "the manner and extent to which a person deals with or copes with their psychological self."

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Jainism, morally speaking, strikes me as the "ideal" religion for the human race as a whole. It's essential teachings are complete non-violence and pluralism.

However out with morals, I do not think dogmatically speaking any single religious philosophy could even in principle draw adherence from everyone and nor would I consider this too be desirable.

I would distinguish between religious unity in diversity and one uniform religious belief structure. The former I see as possible, even if unlikely, whereas the latter I view as undesirable and impractical.

We need diversity of views, cultures and beliefs. Without "difference", tolerance would be an empty word. Coming into contact with the "other," a person who has a distinct worldview from yourself and looks at an issue from a different vantage point, is for me essential to the concept of freedom. Diversity leads to open-mindedness and prevents people from clinging, in a fundamentalist fashion, to narrow minded views and frameworks that inhibit both personal and societal development.

I do not believe in universal conformity to a single belief system. I do believe in universal cross-cultural consensus on fundamental values and rights, but this comes out of dialogue and negotiation between different civilizations and religions, not the imposition of a single framework of beliefs.

I believe the ideal should be unity in diversity, not uniformity. No

I would not even like Jainism to become the universal uniform religion because out with the moral sphere, it's practices, metaphysical beliefs (which I reject) and so forth emerged out of ancient Indian civilization and are not applicable to the entire human race.

Hence why the Catholic Church, au contraire to its image as a monolithic body, is actually comprised of 24 autonomous 'churches' following distinct cultural practices and theological traditions under the leadership of the Roman Pontiff. Catholicism is not monolithic even though the word Catholic literally means "universal". The universal Church is more like a federation of rites under a strong federal government in the person of the Pope. So while Catholicism is rightly seen as a single, integrated religion - indeed one of the most organised and centralized if not the most - is not a uniform entity.

There are common dogmatic beliefs, values and moral precepts shared by all Catholics, but there are at least 24 ways of being Catholic, hundreds if you consider the different spiritualities of orders like the Franciscans, Dominicans, Carmelites and so forth. One faith in a plurality of rites, traditions, spiritual paths and theological perspectives.

Thus it is not surprising to me that one of history's most lucid and earliest theories of religious unity in diversity, as opposed to uniformity, came from the pen of the Catholic fifteenth century Cardinal Nicholas of Cus. He taught that:

The Word remarks that the variability of opinions is equally entailed in free will.[15] Plurality of opinions is a creation of God, from which we may deduce that freedom of will is not restricted to the capability to sin (as Luther would have it). Plurality is the epitome of human creativity that as much as any undirected potential can go wrong, even if without arbitrary meanness. Otherwise it would be inexplicable why the same freedom is the basis of human sociability...​

I think we will always have diversity, even as human beings become ever more integrated through globalization. On one level, this will lead us to smooth over clashes between legal systems and values but on another level it will not override diversity. We will become ever more united while not losing our distinctiveness from each other.

Diversity makes us creative, stimulates independent thought and breeds a spirit of openness. It would be a travesty of colossal significance for the human race to lose or abandon these qualities.

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Is there one religion that is spiritually suitable to all people? If so, what is it and why is it suitable to all people? If not, can there be such a religion in theory? Why or why not?

Please note: For the sake of discussion, I am defining "spiritual" in this context as "the manner and extent to which a person deals with or copes with their psychological self."
You for got "other" in your poll.
Seems to me that there is one true religion (or lack of) for everyone.
It just is not the exact same religion for everyone...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I wish people would find religion in their family and past relations. Christians want people to be saved. Buddha wanted people to be enligtened. Having a true religion would clear up trying to conform others to our beliefs rather than theirs. I value freedom, so Id feel imprisoned if Im told to believe a religion that does not make up me.

So, I picked neither. In general, its a good idea. Specifically, it breaks down peoples freedom to be who they are to themselves rather than to others.

Aka. Some of us arent communists. ;)

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls

It would be interesting to examine that definition at some point.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I'll go with Hinduism as it so vast and provides different paths for all the different personality types.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Is there one religion that is spiritually suitable to all people? If so, what is it and why is it suitable to all people? If not, can there be such a religion in theory?
Currently there isn't one religion; yet it could be possible to form one around Oneness, as everyone understands it in some degree. :innocent:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
There are too many people for there to be a "one true faith". And more importantly, it would be indescribably boring if there were. If the alternatives to our world of violence, hate and inequality is one where everyone believes the same thing I think I'd prefer to castrate myself with a spoon before living in the second one.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
There are too many people for there to be a "one true faith". And more importantly, it would be indescribably boring if there were. If the alternatives to our world of violence, hate and inequality is one where everyone believes the same thing I think I'd prefer to castrate myself with a spoon before living in the second one.
You and me both. I'm not interested in joining any religion. I simply don't need it.

Besides I think the idea of a "one true religion" is predicated on a deeply flawed understanding of human nature.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I think there is one, on some level. I don't seek to find it in any particular language or social institution. But I think there is a rhizome beneath it all.

allfoak

Alchemist
There is only one religion.
It is the narrow path.

The path is narrow because it is your path and yours alone.
No one can walk it for you.

It is ironic that only the few find their own path.
The many are led down many paths that all lead to death.

The one true religion is life itself.

djhwoodwerks

In my opinion: If there is only one religion, why did Jesus send letters to 7 different churches in Revelation? Anyone claiming they have the only true religion, is a cult! Just my opinion.

Erebus

Of course there's one true religion that's suitable for all. I can tell you what it is and what it teaches for the low price of $40 a month. Just PM me your bank acco...

OK, that's enough of that.

I don't believe there is a religion that would truly be suitable for everybody. The simple reason for this is that people have pretty diverse needs, personalities and cultural backgrounds. What suits me might not suit you and vice versa.

As to whether or not such a religion is possible ... maybe? I'd honestly be astounded if it was possible, but we live in a strange world. There would need to be some common factor among all humans that it could tap into. I don't believe that we all share a common factor. The only way that might change would be down to some sci-fi scenario.

So without nano-machines, alien invasion, artificial evolution/devolution, mind control worms and so on, I don't see a "one size fits all" religion springing up.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I think Ice-Cream would be a universally popular religion...the Voluptuous Virtue of Vanilla and the Tantric Triad of Neapolitan. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I suspect that the vast majority of people could find nearly any religion suitable, and that a small minority of people couldn't find any religion suitable.