• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The One True God™

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I know many that believe the god of their religion is the One True God™. Holy wars, jihad, etc. have resulted in countless deaths due to this concept.

I am of the opinion that all gods worshiped/revered by all religions are merely aspects of one God. In my view, this God is non-sentient, non-judgmental, and does not control one's fate or destiny, and has no interest in the outcome of humanity or any other species. It just is. I believe most gods are injected with human characteristics to facilitate human relation with them, but do not actually possess these characteristics in a stand-alone version. The "god" concepts that are born of human emotion/character (loving, angry, caring, judging,etc.) come from man, not god. However, these emotions/characteristics manifest in one's personal god due to the energy put forth by a particular god's adherents. This opinion does not lend any more or any less credence to the existence or validity of one's personal god, nor is it saying that your god is any more or less real than another's. I just think most that identify themselves as religions and subscribe to the One True God™ mentality are missing the bigger picture. I am more than willing to elaborate on my thoughts on this should one ask.

I am looking to read responses from people that disagree with my opinion ITT. If you view my concept as invalid and believe your god is separate from or is not an aspect of a greater God, I would like you to provide your thoughts as to why he/she/it is not or cannot be. I am not looking for Scripture quotes or any other references to holy texts. These are man-made by people other than you (check local listings) and simply promote bias. I am also not looking for comments based on something someone else has told you to think. I am looking for real-life comments based on experience, contemplation, or personal enlightenment. Of course, hard evidence is always welcome.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I know many that believe the god of their religion is the One True God™. Holy wars, jihad, etc. have resulted in countless deaths due to this concept.

I am of the opinion that all gods worshiped/revered by all religions are merely aspects of one God. In my view, this God is non-sentient, non-judgmental, and does not control one's fate or destiny, and has no interest in the outcome of humanity or any other species. It just is. I believe most gods are injected with human characteristics to facilitate human relation with them, but do not actually possess these characteristics in a stand-alone version. The "god" concepts that are born of human emotion/character (loving, angry, caring, judging,etc.) come from man, not god. However, these emotions/characteristics manifest in one's personal god due to the energy put forth by a particular god's adherents. This opinion does not lend any more or any less credence to the existence or validity of one's personal god, nor is it saying that your god is any more or less real than another's. I just think most that identify themselves as religions and subscribe to the One True God™ mentality are missing the bigger picture. I am more than willing to elaborate on my thoughts on this should one ask.

I am looking to read responses from people that disagree with my opinion ITT. If you view my concept as invalid and believe your god is separate from or is not an aspect of a greater God, I would like you to provide your thoughts as to why he/she/it is not or cannot be. I am not looking for Scripture quotes or any other references to holy texts. These are man-made by people other than you (check local listings) and simply promote bias. I am also not looking for comments based on something someone else has told you to think. I am looking for real-life comments based on experience, contemplation, or personal enlightenment. Of course, hard evidence is always welcome.

"all religions are merely aspects of one God"

I agree with what I have colored in magenta . Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

"this God is non-sentient, non-judgmental, and does not control one's fate or destiny, and has no interest in the outcome of humanity or any other species"

I don't agree with one on the above colored in magenta. Please
Regards

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
"this God is non-sentient, non-judgmental, and does not control one's fate or destiny, and has no interest in the outcome of humanity or any other species"

Regards

Why not? Please expound.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.

I was about to yell, "deism!"...but then looked up and saw pantheist under your name. Close enough! :D

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I was about to yell, "deism!"...but then looked up and saw pantheist under your name. Close enough! :D

The most significant difference I see is that I view God as immanent rather than transcendent.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:

Regards
Why not? Please expound.
Because G-d has let us know that whatever any animate does and specifically whatever the humans do, He knows that and lets us know his feelings about it. If we do good and virtuous things he will reward us in a god way and if we do evil, we get the punishment, in this world and in the hereafter. He will judge our deeds and misdeeds. He is the Master of the Day of Judgment, and everything is in His control and none could escape from His control. He doesn't need us, but we need Him, and we could get His nearness, and He guides us to Him. If we remember Him, He remembers us.
Does it help? Please
Regards

psychoslice

Veteran Member
God is not a concept or belief, God has no gender, is not and cannot be personalized, God is all there is, God is the Source and we are that Source also, we separate ourselves from the Source when we start to label God, make religions out of God and so on.

We are like waves on the ocean believing we are separate from the ocean when in fact we are all the Ocean, this is my experience of truth.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The One True God

I looked for One True God on the internet and came across this one in Wikipedia:

Yajur Veda 32:3: "God is formless and bodiless"

Yajur Veda 40:8: "All those who worship the uncreated things, they are in darkness, and you'll enter more into darkness if you worship the created things."

source: islamherald.com - The Best PDF Sharing

"They are enveloped in darkness, in other words, are steeped in ignorance and sunk in the greatest depths of misery who worship the uncreated, eternal prakriti -- the material cause of the world -- in place of the All-pervading God, BUT THOSE WHO WORSHIP VISIBLE THINGS BORN OF THE PRAKRITI, such as the earth, trees, bodies (human and the like) in place of God are enveloped in still greater darkness, in other words, they are extremely foolish, fall into an awful hell of pain and sorrow, and suffer terribly for a long time." -- Yajur Veda 40:9.

This is merely further confirmed in yet another verse:

"The Formless Supreme Spirit that pervades the universe can have NO MATERIAL REPRESENTATION, LIKENESS OR IMAGE." -- Yajur Veda 32:3.

source: http://www.news.faithfreedom.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1033

In this way these texts are quoted by Muslim scholars but their real meaning is different:

Sukla Yajur Veda
32.3: na tasya pratima asti - There is nothing to compare with That.
40.8 (Isa Upanisad): The Upanishads, Part 1 (SBE01): Vâgasaneyi-Samhitâ-Upanishad, sometimes called Îsâvâsya or Îsâ-Upanishad.: Î<I>s</I>â-Upanishad
He (the Self) encircled all, bright, incorporeal, scatheless, without muscles, pure, untouched by evil; a seer, wise, omnipresent, self-existent, he disposed all things rightly for eternal years.
40.9 All who worship what is not real knowledge (good works), enter into blind darkness: those who delight in real knowledge, enter, as it were, into greater darkness.
Talk:Yajurveda - Wikipedia
Please
Regards

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
paarsurrey said:

Regards

Because G-d has let us know that whatever any animate does and specifically whatever the humans do, He knows that and lets us know his feelings about it.

Us? He must have let me out of the loop on this. But since he apparently let you know that he has feelings about what happens here, perhaps you are willing to share how he has let you personally know.

If we do good and virtuous things he will reward us in a god way and if we do evil, we get the punishment, in this world and in the hereafter.

What you are describing here is causality. How do you know that this is your god reacting to his feelings and not just how the Universe works? For example, the earth rotates around the sun every 365.256 days. Do you believe this to be your god's will?

He will judge our deeds and misdeeds. He is the Master of the Day of Judgment, and everything is in His control and none could escape from His control. He doesn't need us, but we need Him, and we could get His nearness, and He guides us to Him. If we remember Him, He remembers us.
Does it help? Please
Regards

Is this your own personal knowledge or what you've been taught to believe? If the former, how do you know this? Remember, as I said in the OP, I'm not looking for quotes from sacred texts or what you were taught, but your own knowledge based on experience or contemplation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also want to remind you of the point of this thread. I think we're straying a bit off topic. The point not to learn what the god of your religion does. Much of this I am already aware of. What I am looking for here is why you think your religion's god is the One True God™. What you have posted here is a common behavior the of the gods of many religions. I'm looking for why yours is unique and true.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The One True God

I looked for One True God on the internet and came across this one in Wikipedia:

Yajur Veda 32:3: "God is formless and bodiless"

Yajur Veda 40:8: "All those who worship the uncreated things, they are in darkness, and you'll enter more into darkness if you worship the created things."

source: islamherald.com - The Best PDF Sharing

"They are enveloped in darkness, in other words, are steeped in ignorance and sunk in the greatest depths of misery who worship the uncreated, eternal prakriti -- the material cause of the world -- in place of the All-pervading God, BUT THOSE WHO WORSHIP VISIBLE THINGS BORN OF THE PRAKRITI, such as the earth, trees, bodies (human and the like) in place of God are enveloped in still greater darkness, in other words, they are extremely foolish, fall into an awful hell of pain and sorrow, and suffer terribly for a long time." -- Yajur Veda 40:9.

This is merely further confirmed in yet another verse:

"The Formless Supreme Spirit that pervades the universe can have NO MATERIAL REPRESENTATION, LIKENESS OR IMAGE." -- Yajur Veda 32:3.

source: http://www.news.faithfreedom.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1033

In this way these texts are quoted by Muslim scholars but their real meaning is different:

Sukla Yajur Veda
32.3: na tasya pratima asti - There is nothing to compare with That.
40.8 (Isa Upanisad): The Upanishads, Part 1 (SBE01): Vâgasaneyi-Samhitâ-Upanishad, sometimes called Îsâvâsya or Îsâ-Upanishad.: Î<I>s</I>â-Upanishad
He (the Self) encircled all, bright, incorporeal, scatheless, without muscles, pure, untouched by evil; a seer, wise, omnipresent, self-existent, he disposed all things rightly for eternal years.
40.9 All who worship what is not real knowledge (good works), enter into blind darkness: those who delight in real knowledge, enter, as it were, into greater darkness.
Talk:Yajurveda - Wikipedia
Please
Regards

While I appreciate your post, this, again, is not what I'm looking for.

I am not looking for Scripture quotes or any other references to holy texts. These are man-made by people other than you (check local listings) and simply promote bias. I am also not looking for comments based on something someone else has told you to think. I am looking for real-life comments based on experience, contemplation, or personal enlightenment. Of course, hard evidence is always welcome.

I've read the Bible, many of the Vedas, and a bit of the Quran. These are, again, created by man's interpretation of god and are, through translation and ambiguity, subject to personal interpretation and not what I am looking for as a reason why one's god is the One True God™.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

All religions are not merely aspects of one god. Each god-religion has their own beliefs, culture, and language that makes that religion unique and true onto itself. There maybe some overlaps as we are all human beings; but, that doesn't exclude the differences among us too. Huge differences that do not always need to be tried to see in one lens.

Multiple gods make more sense than one god because there are multiple aspects of reality, life, and as a whole that to say it all come from one source is like above depriving each part of life the unique difference that makes that aspect what it is and/or who it is.

There is no "greater" anything. Pretend there are no humans and just animal and plant life with energy and all things forming and changing. Where, in the process of this life and death does one change, formation, life, and death much greater than the process or life cycle of the object, animal, or plant next to it? How is it "greater" by its own standards or compared to others?

What is the definition of greater if we did not involve our own politics in the mix?

He/she/it cannot be because everything about he/she/it is all aspects, reflections, hopes, characteristics, and qualities of humans, our thought, emotions, motivations, what we want, what we have, and what we don't have. Its (or they) are personification of the human character or spirit if you will. Hence why "gods reflect humans or humans reflect gods" or gods become human or gods interact with humans or gods created humans..."

but humans are not the center of the universe. So, just saying "...humans...." alone makes gods and the like part of our point of view rather than part of reality in and of itself.

What is god if god is us it and how do you know this god exists unless you can compare it to something you know exists?

For example, when people say "god exist just as unicorns do"... we didn't get unicorns out of thin air just as I just said adafefevadak exists. We got it from the imagination and written description from stories and labels we put on animal-like looking creatures we say are fantasy just the same as adafefevadak is not non existant as it exist the reflection or representation of individual letters put together to make a word.

However, if it's just an it what is the characteristics of it that doesn't mirror what we what to put on it and our imagination or personification (cultural or otherwise) to describe it?

How do you describe life-whether you want to call it god, a chair, or a person-without relating it to us in some fashion?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
All religions are not merely aspects of one god. Each god-religion has their own beliefs, culture, and language that makes that religion unique and true onto itself. There maybe some overlaps as we are all human beings; but, that doesn't exclude the differences among us too. Huge differences that do not always need to be tried to see in one lens.

Multiple gods make more sense than one god because there are multiple aspects of reality, life, and as a whole that to say it all come from one source is like above depriving each part of life the unique difference that makes that aspect what it is and/or who it is.

Just because there are differences between god-religions does not mean that they cannot be aspects of a greater whole. Let's use an example in the microcosm. A human. A human can have varying emotions that result in different manifestations of that human. Just because there are differences between emotions that result in different manifestations of one person does not negate that those manifestations fall under one being. Or would it make more sense that these manifestations are different people?

I know, not a perfect analogy. Perhaps I'll come up with a better one later.

There is no "greater" anything. Pretend there are no humans and just animal and plant life with energy and all things forming and changing. Where, in the process of this life and death does one change, formation, life, and death much greater than the process or life cycle of the object, animal, or plant next to it? How is it "greater" by its own standards or compared to others?

What is the definition of greater if we did not involve our own politics in the mix?

I'm glad you brought this up. I was contemplating this just this morning.

Ultimately, humans will become extinct just like practically every other species has. What happens to each god-religion then? Do they simply blink out of existence? What remains after the extinction of the human race. Does the system just fall apart for all remaining species because there is no greater God?

He/she/it cannot be because everything about he/she/it is all aspects, reflections, hopes, characteristics, and qualities of humans, our thought, emotions, motivations, what we want, what we have, and what we don't have. Its (or they) are personification of the human character or spirit if you will. Hence why "gods reflect humans or humans reflect gods" or gods become human or gods interact with humans or gods created humans..."

but humans are not the center of the universe. So, just saying "...humans...." alone makes gods and the like part of our point of view rather than part of reality in and of itself.

I was with you right up until that last paragraph. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there.

But yes, may gods are simply personifications to make them more relatable to their human counterparts.

What is god if god is us it and how do you know this god exists unless you can compare it to something you know exists?

For example, when people say "god exist just as unicorns do"... we didn't get unicorns out of thin air just as I just said adafefevadak exists. We got it from the imagination and written description from stories and labels we put on animal-like looking creatures we say are fantasy just the same as adafefevadak is not non existant as it exist the reflection or representation of individual letters put together to make a word.

However, if it's just an it what is the characteristics of it that doesn't mirror what we what to put on it and our imagination or personification (cultural or otherwise) to describe it?

How do you describe life-whether you want to call it god, a chair, or a person-without relating it to us in some fashion?

Simple. All matter and energy is a manifestation of God. As I said in the OP, I do not view God as sentient. I believe many need to make It so so they can better relate to It. It is formless but takes form in all of It's manifestations. It does not control fate or destiny, and It does not judge. It simply is.

firedragon

Veteran Member
While I appreciate your post, this, again, is not what I'm looking for.

I've read the Bible, many of the Vedas, and a bit of the Quran. These are, again, created by man's interpretation of god and are, through translation and ambiguity, subject to personal interpretation and not what I am looking for as a reason why one's god is the One True God™.

What if the universe is alive, evolving with a single mind and that mind is God.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What if the universe is alive, evolving with a single mind and that mind is God.

The Universe is indeed alive and evolving, but can you expound on what you mean by "evolving with a single mind". Are you referring to "mind" as a consciousness, i.e. intelligent design?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am of the opinion that all gods worshiped/revered by all religions are merely aspects of one God.
I think I would add the word imagined to that. All gods worshiped/revered by all religions are merely [imagined] aspects of one God
In my view, this God is non-sentient,
I do not agree with this one. Psalms 94:8-98Take notice, you senseless ones among the people; you fools, when will you become wise?
9Does he who fashioned the ear not hear? Does he who formed the eye not see?
non-judgmental,
I agree with this one. John 5:22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son
and does not control one's fate or destiny,
I think this might be true most of the time. Whenever someone shares the opinion that "God would not allow us to be misled" I cringe and I think that it is not possible to believe God allowed Adam to be misled but not us and they say he was perfect.

and has no interest in the outcome of humanity or any other species.
I can't agree with this one. I think it is true that God's nature is love. I think that love means having a personal interest in what happens.
It just is.
I think that before God bore a son it might have been true that the god was just is. And then.........God became a father. A father is about caring, feeling and providing. So why does God not provide for many people? I don't know except that maybe we are supposed to learn how to seek it. This place, The World, has powerful forces that cause difficulty in learning and in seeking, which I believe needs freedom.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I think I would add the word imagined to that. All gods worshiped/revered by all religions are merely [imagined] aspects of one God
I do not agree with this one. Psalms 94:8-98Take notice, you senseless ones among the people; you fools, when will you become wise?
9Does he who fashioned the ear not hear? Does he who formed the eye not see?
I agree with this one. John 5:22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son
I think this might be true most of the time. Whenever someone shares the opinion that "God would not allow us to be misled" I cringe and I think that it is not possible to believe God allowed Adam to be misled but not us and they say he was perfect.

I can't agree with this one. I think it is true that God's nature is love. I think that love means having a personal interest in what happens.
I think that before God bore a son it might have been true that the god was just is. And then.........God became a father. A father is about caring, feeling and providing. So why does God not provide for many people? I don't know except that maybe we are supposed to learn how to seek it. This place, The World, has powerful forces that cause difficulty in learning and in seeking, which I believe needs freedom.

I gather from these responses that you are Christian. Assuming I'm correct, do you believe the Christian god is the One True God™? If so, why?