• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The one true faith!

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I hear certain people talk about having "truth". Is there one true faith for all of mankind? If so what evidence can you show that this is so? (and if you give me the, because G-d said so thing don't bother, anyone can say that...give me something more)

Circle_One

I don't think there is one true faith in the sense that it is the ONLY right path. I think that my faith is the one true faith for me, just as someone else's is the one true faith for them, if that makes any sense.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I agree with Circle One. We each of us have to find our own paths in this world, and the notion that there is one true faith sounds a lot like the notion that one shoe size fits everyone.

fromthe heart

I think there are many faiths because everyone determines God differently. To me one true faith would be that we all who believe in God have the one faith that He Is the great I AM as He said. Our names for our religion is to signify that we are a part of one or more beliefs...but the one true faith in all these religions is the faith that there is one greater than we. Does that make sense?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Deut. 32.8 said:
Respectfully, I suggest that the question is (cognitively) meaningless. What the hell is a "true faith"?
Good question Deut! Perhaps those who believe they are a part of this "true faith" can explain that to us!:)

chuck010342

I guess I can use this thread as my "letter to the relativist/agnostic thread"

What kind of evidence would you like Jewscout?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
What kind of evidence hmmmm...i don't know, aside for the "because G-d said so" what have you got Chuck? I'm open to whatever...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Before you get too far into "relativism", Chuck, you might begin by defining what you believe "relativism" to be.

SoulTYPE

There is no "True religion". A religion is only BELIEVED to be true by it's follower. A follower is not going to go around saying how bad their religion is, are they?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
chuck010342 said:
I guess I can use this thread as my "letter to the relativist/agnostic thread"
You'd do well to address them separately.

chuck010342 said:
What kind of evidence would you like ...?
Verifiable and not necessitating confirmation bias to be deemed probative.

may

jewscout said:
I hear certain people talk about having "truth". Is there one true faith for all of mankind? If so what evidence can you show that this is so? (and if you give me the, because G-d said so thing don't bother, anyone can say that...give me something more)
"WHAT is truth?" (John 18:38) That question, cynically posed by Pontius Pilate nearly 2,000 years ago, implies that truth is too elusive to be pursued. Many today would agree. The very nature of truth is under attack. You may have heard it said that everyone makes his own truth, or that truth is relative, or that truth is ever changing. Such reasoning is flawed. The very goal of research and education is to learn the facts, the truth, about the world in which we live. Truth is not a matter of personal opinion. For example, either the human soul is immortal or it is not. Either Satan exists or he does not. Either there is a purpose to life or there is not. In each case, there can be only one correct answer. One is true, and the other is false; both cannot be true.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Duet. 32:8 Respectfully, I suggest that the question is (cognitively) meaningless. What the hell is a "true faith"?
Yes, I have to agree faith is neither TRUST or TRUTH.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
may said:
"WHAT is truth?" (John 18:38) That question, cynically posed by Pontius Pilate nearly 2,000 years ago, implies that truth is too elusive to be pursued. Many today would agree. The very nature of truth is under attack. You may have heard it said that everyone makes his own truth, or that truth is relative, or that truth is ever changing. Such reasoning is flawed. The very goal of research and education is to learn the facts, the truth, about the world in which we live. Truth is not a matter of personal opinion. For example, either the human soul is immortal or it is not. Either Satan exists or he does not. Either there is a purpose to life or there is not. In each case, there can be only one correct answer. One is true, and the other is false; both cannot be true.
There are some pretty profound answers to the question, "What is truth?", but those answers don't necessarily apply to the often peculiar ways that the word "truth" is used in religious contexes.

For instance, the way the word "truth" is used in science and formal philosophy seems to be more clearly explored and defined than the way it is used in religion.

IF we were to apply the same high standards of science and formal philosophy to religion, we would have to ask whether questions such as "Is the soul immortal" were meaningful questions at all.

chuck010342

jewscout said:
What kind of evidence hmmmm...i don't know, aside for the "because G-d said so" what have you got Chuck? I'm open to whatever...

Well your not open to whatever because you rulled out the bible. Jesus said "I am the way the light and the truth." But this statement is rulled out because I can't use the bible. The bible is where I get the "because God said so"

So I would have to argue from the laws of logic.

One such law is the law of non-countradiction.

How can two faiths be true if they countradict eachother?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
chuck010342 said:
Well your not open to whatever because you rulled out the bible. Jesus said "I am the way the light and the truth." But this statement is rulled out because I can't use the bible. The bible is where I get the "because God said so"

So I would have to argue from the laws of logic.

One such law is the law of non-countradiction.

How can two faiths be true if they countradict eachother?
interesting...then how do we determine which is "true" and which isn't?

chuck010342

Sunstone said:
Before you get too far into "relativism", Chuck, you might begin by defining what you believe "relativism" to be.

Ahh relativism my arch enemy. I believe that relativism is a type of philosophy where there are no absolutes.

chuck010342

may said:

THANK YOU

jewscout

Religious Zionist
may said:

But which is it?