• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Old Testament. Have Christians written a fair portion of it themselves?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Isaiah 45:7 King James Version (KJV)

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Any serious student of the Bible will not settle for the inferior new translations. Because they are so twisted, they are pointless to use.

I will beg to differ on that point. The rendering of the KJV in that verse makes God out to be capricious....capable of evil or wickedness.

According to Strongs....the word "evil" in that verse ....

The KJV translates Strong's H7451 in the following manner: evil (442x), wickedness (59x), wicked (25x), mischief (21x), hurt (20x), bad (13x), trouble (10x), sore (9x), affliction (6x), ill (5x), adversity (4x), favoured (3x), harm (3x), naught (3x), noisome (2x), grievous (2x), sad (2x), miscellaneous (34x).

Why does the KJV translate the same word in so many different ways?
God does not cause evil because there is no evil in him. He can cause "affliction" "trouble" or "adversity" for his enemies but that is retribution, not "evil". In the first part of that verse is the contrast between light and darkness....the second part is not a contrast at all. "Evil" is not the opposite of "peace", but "calamity" or "adversity" are. Do you see the difference?

There are many other examples where the KJV has not rendered a verse as it should be rendered.

It is not a translation I favor because of its outdated language and failure in its renderings to convey the truth of God's word. The main purpose of a translation is to accurately convey the thoughts of another language into one you understand perfectly. I don't find that the KJV does that.