• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The old teaching vs the new buddhist monk`s teachings

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You probably have heard how well us Zen folk and Theravada gets along together. Heh he.

It was probably during the worst Bushido match I've ever been on an internet forum.

I had blood coming out of my freakin ears and eyes because it was so toxic. Severed limbs, heads rolling around... Right out of a Kill Bill scene.

Anyways long story short, my second worst enemy in the battle throws "A Handbook for Mankind" by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu PDF. at my head causing horrendous damage all the while being flanked by his color commentary buddy.

After the battle was over and the ringing in my brain ceased, I reluctantly opened it and read it. He starts out like a typical Theravada bulldog ranting about 'true' Buddhism and all that, but damn....

The man resonated with me so well as I got more into it that his handbook now sits in my literary archives along with Dogen, The Blue Cliff Records, and of course the worst influence in my life, Brad Warner.
Yes Theravada buddhists are known for being sutta riders :) But in my cultivation i found that yes the suttas is the teaching but no matter how much i can recite them, if i can not understand the true meaning behind the words, it does not help me to becomea better being. one must cultivate the teaching, but also use it in daily life to get the full benefit :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
We have a lot of people here who have studied Buddha's words. Just ask.
Yes many here have read the suttas :) But my reply was to say, it is very good to know the teching in words, but to really understand it deeply one must see the teaching in daily life when we are interacting with others :) To active use it :)

Or maybe this was what you actually meant too :)

Shantanu

Yes many here have read the suttas :) But my reply was to say, it is very good to know the teching in words, but to really understand it deeply one must see the teaching in daily life when we are interacting with others :) To active use it :)

Or maybe this was what you actually meant too :)
It is true that one needs to practice a religion to gain the maximum understanding of it and determining if it is true, for only during practice one gets to know whether there are flaws in the enlightenment gained. That is why Buddha established a working religion, not an esoteric belief system.:)