• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the old and the new testament

Again, you don't get it that what's something may be called is not exactly the same thing that it actually stands for. In English, we use "Easter", but in my wife's Italian, it is "Pasqua". Whether it be "Easter" or "Pasqua", it's the same day in the Western Church.

We don't worship Eostar, so all you're doing is making a mountain out of a molehill.
Not really because what do you think Jesus Christ would call this Feast? It’s not up to man to name God’s Festivals, He called it Passover. I’m not making a mountain out of a molehill but pointing something out that’s been corrupted in the Church.
One of the problems is decisions were made by Gentile Church leaders without our Jewish brothers input, otherwise Easter wouldn’t have been used as well as a lot of other unscriptural traditions. I’m not talking traditions people do that are outside Scripture but traditions that pervert Scripture.
The Church is the pillar and support of the Truth and that’s the problem I see.
“if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭3:15‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Not really because what do you think Jesus Christ would call this Feast? It’s not up to man to name God’s Festivals, He called it Passover. I’m not making a mountain out of a molehill but pointing something out that’s been corrupted in the Church.
One of the problems is decisions were made by Gentile Church leaders without our Jewish brothers input, otherwise Easter wouldn’t have been used as well as a lot of other unscriptural traditions. I’m not talking traditions people do that are outside Scripture but traditions that pervert Scripture.
The Church is the pillar and support of the Truth and that’s the problem I see.
“if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭3:15‬ ‭ESV‬‬
Stop calling him 'Jesus' then. And stop saying 'Christ'.

Stop calling him 'Jesus' then. And stop saying 'Christ'.

If Jesus Christ was an improper name and He didn’t like being addressed like that then I would stop. Jesus Christ is His proper name in English and even the demons are expelled in the name of Jesus Christ.

978D6269-1024-4040-B694-7CD1330CA9D9.jpeg

68780924-83FA-4629-9E9D-F5AE2D14236D.jpeg

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It’s not and it’s a mistranslation used 1 time in the KJV in Acts as I posted earlier. It’s translated Passover in the rest of Scripture.
No, it's the proper English word for Pascha as celebrated by Christians. We are not Hebrews we use non-Hebrew languages.

No, it's the proper English word for Pascha as celebrated by Christians. We are not Hebrews we use non-Hebrew languages.
The Feasts Jesus fulfilled in the Spring are Passover (Passover Lamb), Unleavened Bread (sinless), First Fruits ( Resurrection and first fruits from the dead), Pentecost (50 days later, outpouring of the Holy Spirit).

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The Feasts Jesus fulfilled in the Spring are Passover (Passover Lamb), Unleavened Bread (sinless), First Fruits ( Resurrection and first fruits from the dead), Pentecost (50 days later, outpouring of the Holy Spirit).
And the first one we call Easter and the last we call Whitsun.

It's English.

And the first one we call Easter and the last we call Whitsun.

It's English.
Well the word Easter was inserted in one verse in the KJV the rest of the KJV it’s Passover for the same Greek word pascha this was done in the second century, the other versions have corrected the translation error. Not sure why you’re holding on to that so tightly, it’s obviously a translation error.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well the word Easter was inserted in one verse in the KJV the rest of the KJV it’s Passover for the same Greek word pascha this was done in the second century, the other versions have corrected the translation error. Not sure why you’re holding on to that so tightly, it’s obviously a translation error.
It's not a translation error. I'm not sure why you can't understand this. Easter is the right English term for this.

What's happened is actually quite clever. They've translated it as Passover when it refers to the Jewish festival as Jews hold it, and they call it Easter, what the Christians named the Christian holiday that came from the Jewish one, when it happens after Whitsun (Pentecost). IOW they're differentiating between the Jewish Pesach (Passover) and the Christian version of this holiday - Easter.

Easter is from a Saxon word meaning 'east' i.e., where the sun rises, i.e, dawn, and ultimately referring to the resurrection (rising as the sun rises). I study Old and Middle English, so I'm not just basing this on nothing; I have books and books on this.

It's not a translation error. I'm not sure why you can't understand this. Easter is the right English term for this.

What's happened is actually quite clever. They've translated it as Passover when it refers to the Jewish festival as Jews hold it, and they call it Easter, what the Christians named the Christian holiday that came from the Jewish one, when it happens after Whitsun (Pentecost). IOW they're differentiating between the Jewish Pesach (Passover) and the Christian version of this holiday - Easter.

Easter is from a Saxon word meaning 'east' i.e., where the sun rises, i.e, dawn, and ultimately referring to the resurrection (rising as the sun rises). I study Old and Middle English, so I'm not just basing this on nothing; I have books and books on this.
So why is the word translated Passover and not Easter? Why was pascha translated Easter 1 time in 1 version, the apostles didn’t call Passover, Easter.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So why is the word translated Passover and not Easter? Why was pascha translated Easter 1 time in 1 version, the apostles didn’t call Passover, Easter.
I have explained this to you, I'm not explaining it again.

The apostles didn't call Jesus 'Jesus' either.

I have explained this to you, I'm not explaining it again.

The apostles didn't call Jesus 'Jesus' either.
Your explanation doesn’t make any sense, the word Easter was introduced in the 2nd century and the translator was wrong to do that, again you would think Easter would be used the other 28 in KJV times but it wasn’t, just once for the same word pascha and was in Acts. The other translations corrected that mistake

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Your explanation doesn’t make any sense, the word Easter was introduced in the 2nd century and the translator was wrong to do that, again you would think Easter would be used the other 28 in KJV times but it wasn’t, just once for the same word pascha and was in Acts. The other translations corrected that mistake
Let's try this again.

There is a Jewish holiday called Pesach. In English we translate this as Passover.

There is a Christian holiday derived from Pesach called Easter and it is celebrated in a completely different way and has little to no similarities to the holiday it came from.

The KJV differentiates between the Jewish and Christian holidays by using their respective different names.

English Christians do not call their celebration of Jesus rising 'Pesach' or 'Passover' in English. We call it Easter, literally meaning 'rising' in this case.

The KJV is a translation into English.

Let's try this again.

There is a Jewish holiday called Pesach. In English we translate this as Passover.

There is a Christian holiday derived from Pesach called Easter and it is celebrated in a completely different way and has little to no similarities to the holiday it came from.

The KJV differentiates between the Jewish and Christian holidays by using their respective different names.

English Christians do not call their celebration of Jesus rising 'Pesach' or 'Passover' in English. We call it Easter, literally meaning 'rising' in this case.

The KJV is a translation into English.
I’m English and a Gentile believer and don’t call the Passover cebration by the name Easter.
I understand what you’re saying and don’t agree and also look at the passage in Acts.
“And because he saw that it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to seize Peter also. Now it was during the Days of Unleavened Bread. So when he had arrested him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four squads of soldiers to keep him, intending to bring him before the people after Passover.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭12:3-4‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Notice Feast of Unleavened Bread and Passover, so to change Passover to Easter isn’t proper. There isn’t a Jewish and Gentile Church, they have been made 1 Church, 1 Body.

“For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭2:14-18‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Just told you so in the last comment, I believe it was done out of ignorance.
So you believe they managed to get the word right in every single instance except one where they just managed for a minute to forget what it means?

So you believe they managed to get the word right in every single instance except one where they just managed for a minute to forget what it means?
They translated it Passover in every place but that instance in Acts, in the same passage they say Unleavened Bread so they were wrong in saying Easter, the other translations say correctly, Passover.
When I got saved and realized what the Episcopal Church taught on some things I couldn’t believe it. Wasn’t even biblical, so I scrapped all that and committed myself to living by the Scriptures in the Spirit and not by traditions.