• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nutrition Thread

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I'm not going to ask for what people eat every day, instead I want to share some sites about nutrition and health that have helped me make some better food choices, and I encourage you to share some as well.

MyPyramid.gov: Explains the new food pyramid and how you can apply it to your daily needs.
Includes:
  • My Pyramid Tracker (I love this and use it everyday) is an online dietary and physical activity assessment tool that provides information on your diet quality, physical activity status, related nutrition messages, and links to nutrient and physical activity information. The Food Calories/Energy Balance feature automatically calculates your energy balance by subtracting the energy you expend from physical activity from your food calories/energy intake. Use of this tool helps you better understand your energy balance status and enhances the link between good nutrition and regular physical activity. MyPyramid Tracker translates the principles of the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans and other nutrition standards developed by the U.S. Departments of Agriculture and Health and Human Services.
  • A section for kids
  • A section of Tips and Resources

Another online resource I want to share is the The World's Healthiest Foods List. The World's Healthiest Foods have been selected because they are among the richest sources of many of the essential nutrients needed for optimal health.

One more: The Nutrition Facts & Calorie Counter: NutritionData provides nutrition facts, Calorie counts, and nutrient data for all foods and recipes.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
I'm not going to ask for what people eat every day, instead I want to share some sites about nutrition and health that have helped me make some better food choices, and I encourage you to share some as well.

MyPyramid.gov: Explains the new food pyramid and how you can apply it to your daily needs.
Includes:
  • My Pyramid Tracker (I love this and use it everyday) is an online dietary and physical activity assessment tool that provides information on your diet quality, physical activity status, related nutrition messages, and links to nutrient and physical activity information. The Food Calories/Energy Balance feature automatically calculates your energy balance by subtracting the energy you expend from physical activity from your food calories/energy intake. Use of this tool helps you better understand your energy balance status and enhances the link between good nutrition and regular physical activity. MyPyramid Tracker translates the principles of the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans and other nutrition standards developed by the U.S. Departments of Agriculture and Health and Human Services.
  • A section for kids
  • A section of Tips and Resources
Another online resource I want to share is the The World's Healthiest Foods List. The World's Healthiest Foods have been selected because they are among the richest sources of many of the essential nutrients needed for optimal health.

One more: The Nutrition Facts & Calorie Counter: NutritionData provides nutrition facts, Calorie counts, and nutrient data for all foods and recipes.
Oh no, not calories ! not you as well.............:(

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
michel said:
Oh no, not calories ! not you as well.............:(
LOL.

If you want to lose weight, you have to count calories: "To lose weight, your energy intake must be less than your energy expenditure. This will always be true. There are no foods, pills, or potions that will magically melt the pounds off. The only approach that works is eating less and/or exercising more."
link

Most nutritionists will tell you that reducing your energy intake (calories) by 500 calories a day will result in a loss of 1 lb of weight per week. Based on the fact that 3500(7 days X 500) calories = one lb of fat. It is not recommended that you lose more than 2 lbs a week. Slow and steady is the best way to do it healthfully.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
LOL.

If you want to lose weight, you have to count calories: "To lose weight, your energy intake must be less than your energy expenditure. This will always be true. There are no foods, pills, or potions that will magically melt the pounds off. The only approach that works is eating less and/or exercising more."
link

Most nutritionists will tell you that reducing your energy intake (calories) by 500 calories a day will result in a loss of 1 lb of weight per week. Based on the fact that 3500(7 days X 500) calories = one lb of fat. It is not recommended that you lose more than 2 lbs a week. Slow and steady is the best way to do it healthfully.
I am well aware of the facts, but I just don't like them.........:biglaugh:

It is not recommended that you lose more than 2 lbs a week. Slow and steady is the best way to do it healthfully.
That is or ought to be the prime rule, in every diet; it is so true.;)

nutshell

I don't agree that you must count calories. If a person controls their portions and gets regular excercise they will loose weight. No counting necessary.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
nutshell said:
I don't agree that you must count calories. If a person controls their portions and gets regular excercise they will loose weight. No counting necessary.
How do you know if you have a negative energy balance?

Maybe it's just me, but I find it helpful to keep a dietary journal and track not only my caloric intake but also to make sure I'm getting enough nutrients and eating enough from all the food groups. If I didn't, I would consistently be not eating enough fruit, I know. I just don't eat fruit until I see that blank space beside "fruit". On the other hand my vegetables are usually twice what I need, which is OK since they are nutrient rich and low in calories. But I wouldn't know my groups are lopsided if I didn't track them.

almifkhar

what works for my family is eating fresh (meat fresh kill from small farms, fruits, veggies)
staying away from anything that comes from a box, jar, or can
limit the salt, sugar, and oil

i don't count caleries and i don't follow the food pyramid, nor do we take vitamins

we are all in good health and are no where near being over weight