• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The North American Reform Seminary

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Note: this post is for information purposes only. I am not an employee or affiliate of TNARS in anyway, other than a student.

TNARS is a non accredited, distance learning seminary, that is 100% free for students. It is headquartered in South Carolina, and offers degree programs up through doctorates. Although it does not seek accreditation at this time, it is recognized by the Association of Reformed Theological Seminaries (ARTS), which has petitioned the US based Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) for official recognition.

So how does TNARS offer its degree programs for free? The same way the US military academies do. Upon completion of the program, you take an oath to serve; in this case the ministry. The difference is that TNARS is a distance learning program, so you work at your own pace. There is no pressure.

What are the courses like? Hard! This is not a "gimmie" program. That is the easiest way to put it. In the graduate programs, each class will require a 40 page essay after completing the required literature, video conferences and research. You will also be assigned a mentor, which is the old Puritan method of teaching. Yes, you will learn Hebrew and Greek during the masters courses. They are required for the doctorate programs.

Which denomination does TNARS associate with? It is a non denominational institution, and is open to anyone interested in pursuing a Christian based, religious studies degree. There are several courses that involve Puritan studies, but multiple aspects of Christianity will be included in the curriculum.

For those interested: Home

As for myself, I am in the final leg of receiving their Doctor of Theology in Puritan Studies. My previous ThD transferred over, and I only have to complete the missing courses.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I will try and answer to the best of my knowledge.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Although it does not seek accreditation at this time, it is recognized by the Association of Reformed Theological Seminaries (ARTS), which has petitioned the US based Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) for official recognition.
This is fascinating resource, saving for later for sure! Question, not sure if you know this or not. Is there a specific reason they are not seeking accreditation? We are currently going through our documentation where I work for SACSCOC to renew our accreditation, hence my curiosity. :)

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Question, not sure if you know this or not. Is there a specific reason they are not seeking accreditation?

My understanding is that recognized accreditation by a legit agency through CHEA has hefty fees attached to it. Many of the smaller and private colleges and seminaries simply can't afford it. Most, like TNARS, quote the 1st Amendment - Freedom of Religion, and adopt an exempt status.

Religious degrees are usually reserved for use within the Church, so they don't need secular oversight. It's based on the whole separation of Church and State.

Last edited:

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
My understanding is that recognized accreditation by a legit agency through CHEA has hefty fees attached to it. Many of the smaller and private colleges and seminaries simply can't afford it. Most, like TNARS, quote the 1st Amendment - Freedom of Religion, and adopt an exempt status.

Religious degrees are usually reserved for use within the Church, so they don't need secular oversight. It's based on the whole separation of Church and State.
That's true. And if the employers that are relevant to your study recognize your credential, it's a dead point anyway.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
That's true. And if the employers that are relevant to your study recognize your credential, it's a dead point anyway.

Yep.

Accreditation is really only good if you plan to transfer from one university to another. As long as both have recognized accreditation (regional or national) then your credits will normally transfer between them. However, most theology students complete everything at one institution, thus no need for transfer credits.

There is something to be said of having accredited academic standards to ensure that the curriculum is up to par, but places like TNARS go above and beyond what many accredited institutions require. It is no joke, unlike some other places where you send in a "love offering" and they hand you a degree. By the time you are done with a Th.D. or D.Div., you have enough material for two books!

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Military academies are funded by the government. Which is probably more realistically why TNARs can offer its programs free. and explains why they call themselves Puritan Yet you'd never heard of the Puritan bible, the Geneva Bible. Because TNARS Puritan claim is a thin disguise for Vatican based teaching to a protestant world, an extension of the counter reformation.