• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Norns

VioletVortex

Hence my new avatar, I've been reading a bit about the Norns. They are the female deities who "twist the fibers of destiny", creating the paths of other deities and men alike.

My take on this is that the Norns represent the power we have over our own destinies, the forces within us that allow us to make life changing decisions. I think that the fibres spun by these deities represent threads of DNA. I know that this sounds far fetched, considering that microscopes (at least in the sense of high power magnification devices) did not exist during the ancient times. Instead, they relied on their intuition, at least that's how I see it.

Share your thoughts on the Norns.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Hence my new avatar, I've been reading a bit about the Norns. They are the female deities who "twist the fibers of destiny", creating the paths of other deities and men alike.

My take on this is that the Norns represent the power we have over our own destinies, the forces within us that allow us to make life changing decisions. I think that the fibres spun by these deities represent threads of DNA. I know that this sounds far fetched, considering that microscopes (at least in the sense of high power magnification devices) did not exist during the ancient times. Instead, they relied on their intuition, at least that's how I see it.

Share your thoughts on the Norns.

It is interesting.

If you look at the differences in the three we can see that the weave is past, present, and future, by relationship.

Other connections interact within ours causing a direction, - which may or may not be your future. Sometime previous events set in motion unavoidable consequence.

VioletVortex

It is interesting.

If you look at the differences in the three we can see that the weave is past, present, and future, by relationship.

Other connections interact within ours causing a direction, - which may or may not be your future. Sometime previous events set in motion unavoidable consequence.

The Norns within us weave our futures with the same threads of the past. This symbolises the fact that we have the power within ourselves to take what we've gained in the past and use it to carve our futures out.

The painting just used for my avatar is really cool though. I stumbled upon it while reading about Proto-Indo-European Paganism and I had to read more about the painting...the 19th century saw a revival of Paganism in art, and this resurgence created a lot of cool products.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The Norns are incredibly complex. They're often equated to the Greek Fates, but this is as uneven a comparison as equating Thor to Zeus.

There are three major Norns, though it is also believed that there are several handmaiden norns that weave the fates of the individual. The Norns, however, handle the fate of Yggdrasil - every world, creature, and god therein. They are Urðr ("Fate"), the eldest--Yggdrasil is fed by her well, it's roots tended by the past; Verðandi ("Happening"); and Skuld ("Shall Be"). Skuld is often listed among the ranks of the Valkyries, and of the Three, she has the most interaction with mortals.

Rather than crafting the fates of individuals, the Norns simply weave it out into the tapestries of our lives. Our fate is only made finite in that there is a day that we will die - the thread cut by Skuld. From there our choices are our own and we may do as we please, but depending on what we choose (and the Norns, in turn, weave into the tapestry of life,) our fate may change for better or worse. Once our fate is woven, it cannot be unwoven. In any case, once we reach the end of our thread, we will die, however that might come to pass.

Worship of the Norns is difficult. They are deep, primordial beings - neither Æsir nor Vanir, jotun nor álf. Having no direct interaction with mortals (in general) there's nothing to offer them or ask of them. The day of our death changes for no man, nor can we ever "cheat" death. Use of the runes for divination is tied to the Norns, as we gain glimpses of what the future might hold in store for us through them. Aside from this, however, the Norns are as far removed from active Heathen worship as can be, yet central to everything that we do.

VioletVortex

The Norns are incredibly complex. They're often equated to the Greek Fates, but this is as uneven a comparison as equating Thor to Zeus.

There are three major Norns, though it is also believed that there are several handmaiden norns that weave the fates of the individual. The Norns, however, handle the fate of Yggdrasil - every world, creature, and god therein. They are Urðr ("Fate"), the eldest--Yggdrasil is fed by her well, it's roots tended by the past; Verðandi ("Happening"); and Skuld ("Shall Be"). Skuld is often listed among the ranks of the Valkyries, and of the Three, she has the most interaction with mortals.

Rather than crafting the fates of individuals, the Norns simply weave it out into the tapestries of our lives. Our fate is only made finite in that there is a day that we will die - the thread cut by Skuld. From there our choices are our own and we may do as we please, but depending on what we choose (and the Norns, in turn, weave into the tapestry of life,) our fate may change for better or worse. Once our fate is woven, it cannot be unwoven. In any case, once we reach the end of our thread, we will die, however that might come to pass.

Worship of the Norns is difficult. They are deep, primordial beings - neither Æsir nor Vanir, jotun nor álf. Having no direct interaction with mortals (in general) there's nothing to offer them or ask of them. The day of our death changes for no man, nor can we ever "cheat" death. Use of the runes for divination is tied to the Norns, as we gain glimpses of what the future might hold in store for us through them. Aside from this, however, the Norns are as far removed from active Heathen worship as can be, yet central to everything that we do.

I think we can call upon the Norns for advice on monumental decisions via meditation. They seem to be the ones to provide inspiration as far as the proper decision for one's future goes. I think they are very benevolent deities with both light and dark sides. The darkness comes in when they bring our deaths upon us.

Personally, I do not think that the Norns predetermine one's destiny. Instead, they provide a path that is somewhat pliable, and they also provide guidance on how to manipulate that path if need be. From a mythological standpoint, my views may deviate from the norm, but I'm speaking more of how I relate to the mythology on a personal level. As a disclaimer, I am new to the concept of Norns.

May I ask what you mean by "They weave it into the tapestries of our lives" as opposed to crafting our fates? As far as death goes, I think that one sets the rough date and nature of their death via a certain action they might perform in their life.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I think we can call upon the Norns for advice on monumental decisions via meditation.
Our Gods don't work like that. A lot of people like to pretend that they do, but they do not. Think about it; these are three immensely powerful beings that oversee the fate of everything. They have far more important things to do than dole out advice when asked. Not even the Gods themselves had interaction with the Norns; only with völva and disir who could read the Web of Fate.

Personally, I do not think that the Norns predetermine one's destiny.
Nor did I say they did; I said that they set the day of our death. How that comes about is up to us. For example, if you are fated to die April 10th, 2060, you will die on that day. It could be from a heart attack, a vehicle crash, combat, or any number of things. But that is the day you will die.

May I ask what you mean by "They weave it into the tapestries of our lives" as opposed to crafting our fates?
It means that what we do sets the course of our lives, and affects the lives of all those around us; actions that we take can never be taken back, and shape the direction that our fate takes us.

VioletVortex

Our Gods don't work like that. A lot of people like to pretend that they do, but they do not. Think about it; these are three immensely powerful beings that oversee the fate of everything. They have far more important things to do than dole out advice when asked. Not even the Gods themselves had interaction with the Norns; only with völva and disir who could read the Web of Fate.

Nor did I say they did; I said that they set the day of our death. How that comes about is up to us. For example, if you are fated to die April 10th, 2060, you will die on that day. It could be from a heart attack, a vehicle crash, combat, or any number of things. But that is the day you will die.

It means that what we do sets the course of our lives, and affects the lives of all those around us; actions that we take can never be taken back, and shape the direction that our fate takes us.

I understand what you mean, people do seem to look for a "quick fix" in gods, magic, etc. but it's much deeper than that. I think that meditation allows one to communicate with the gods on the lowest level, but it's still a means of relating to deities. Then again, I believe that one can enter various levels of meditation.

So it's sort of like a tricking stream of water. The source is predetermined by its very nature of existing, and the path can't really be changed once it is laid, and the point at which the stream ends is predetermined by the amount of water there. Maybe that isn't the most physically accurate analogy...

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I think that meditation allows one to communicate with the gods on the lowest level, but it's still a means of relating to deities.
Yes, it can be. But you're not trying to reach Odin or Thor; you are trying to reach beings that are far deeper than they, who some believe set in motion the creation of the universe - if so, they are older and more powerful than anything. You are hoping to glean advice from something that not even the Gods themselves could reach and visit. I hate to sound blunt, but do you know how arrogant that sounds?

VioletVortex

Yes, it can be. But you're not trying to reach Odin or Thor; you are trying to reach beings that are far deeper than they, who some believe set in motion the creation of the universe - if so, they are older and more powerful than anything. You are hoping to glean advice from something that not even the Gods themselves could reach and visit. I hate to sound blunt, but do you know how arrogant that sounds?

I understand what you mean, but I disagree. I don't think that what I'm saying is of the magnitude that you are describing.

I come from a LHP background, and I tend to interpret things for my own, rather than believe literally.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Yes, I understand that. But while Heathenry doesn't have doctrine or dogma, there is certainly a way to go about things, and a culture that defines what does and does not make sense. It's not something to go at half-assed or without understanding, and trying to contact beings this deep and powerful could have very tragic results, if it's possible at all.

VioletVortex

Yes, I understand that. But while Heathenry doesn't have doctrine or dogma, there is certainly a way to go about things, and a culture that defines what does and does not make sense. It's not something to go at half-assed or without understanding, and trying to contact beings this deep and powerful could have very tragic results, if it's possible at all.

Yeah, Paganism is generally not a blank slate like pantheism is. But I still think that the way one relates to the gods is very personal. Different people may do it differently, through ritual, meditation, invocation, or some combination of those things.