• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(The Noble Quran, 25:54) We came from water?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was browsing the net about our origins. I was taught that we came from water, not the earth. So that is where we will eventually return. As I surfed, I interestingly for me enough, found a verse in the Quran that I thought said the very same thing I believe:

"It is He Who has created man from water: then has He established relationships of lineage and marriage: for thy Lord has power (over all things). (The Noble Quran, 25:54)"

Among other verses : Life originated from water in the Noble Quran.
Although not a formal site, I thought it relevant nonetheless.

In the Islamic faith, does it say humans came from water? If so, is it literal or metaphorical (of course, of equal importance regardless)?

How would Allah define our origin according to the Quran?

Thought man was created from clay? "And indeed, We created man from sounding clay of altered black smooth mud."15:26

For people who live in/near the desert, the link between life and water would be pretty self-evident though.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Since we need water to survive, made up of mostly water, and lived nine months in water like fluid. I remember reading scientists trying an experiment of keeping a baby under water after birth and it worked, I figure that that is our origin. I never believed we came clay or earth. Just doesn't click.

Also in the U.S. DC Smithsonian, they have a whole section that talks about the science of water and our origins from it.

Thought man was created from clay? "And indeed, We created man from sounding clay of altered black smooth mud."15:26

For people who live in/near the desert, the link between life and water would be pretty self-evident though.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I was browsing the net about our origins. I was taught that we came from water, not the earth. So that is where we will eventually return. As I surfed, I interestingly for me enough, found a verse in the Quran that I thought said the very same thing I believe:

"It is He Who has created man from water: then has He established relationships of lineage and marriage: for thy Lord has power (over all things). (The Noble Quran, 25:54)"

In the Islamic faith, does it say humans came from water? If so, is it literal or metaphorical (of course, of equal importance regardless)?

Well actually we aren't CREATED from WATER.

I think that verse is actually just an observation.

Most come forth at birth with a flood of liquid (amniotic fluid) - to them - like fish from water.

Thus the idea that God creates man from water.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them, and we made every living thing of water? Will they not then believe? (21:30)

The verse says that the universe originated from a single point and life originated from water.

Shad

Veteran Member
Nope. The parameters are Heavens, which the Earth is a part of still, and Earth, which didn't exist for billions of years until after being split, does not find your interpretation. You also equivocate Heaven with universe. There is also a lot of theories which are ignored to even reach this interpretation. It is post hoc rationalization, nothing more

Union

Though how life was originated first in earth is still not sure and so many experiments and hypothesis were made in this regard on what a total opinion of scientists was not settled for having so many deficiency , one thing admitted by every scientists that for organization of life on earth water was vital. Among these the followings are most discussed :

01. The Bubble Theory
Waves breaking on the shore create a delicate foam composed of bubbles. Winds sweeping across the ocean have a tendency to drive things to shore, much like driftwood collecting on the beach. It is possible that organic molecules were concentrated on the shorelines in much the same way. Shallow coastal waters also tend to be warmer, further concentrating the molecules through evaporation. While bubbles comprised of mostly water burst quickly, oily bubbles happen to be much more stable, lending more time to the particular bubble to perform these crucial experiments.

The phospholipid is a good example of an oily compound believed to have been prevalent in the prebiotic seas. Because phospholipids contain a hydrophilic head on one end, and a hydrophobic tail on the other, they have the tendency to spontaneously form lipid membranes in water. A lipid monolayer bubble can only contain oil, and is therefore not conducive to harbouring water-soluble organic molecules. On the other hand, a lipid bilayer bubble can contain water, and was a likely precursor to the modern cell membrane. If a protein came along that increased the integrity of its parent bubble, then that bubble had an advantage, and was placed at the top of the natural selection waiting list. Primitive reproduction can be envisioned when the bubbles burst, releasing the results of the experiment into the surrounding medium. Once enough of the 'right stuff' was released into the medium, the development of the first prokaryotes, eukaryotes, and multicellular organisms could be achieved. This theory is expanded upon in the book, "The Cell: Evolution of the First Organism" by Joseph Panno Ph.D.

Similarly, bubbles formed entirely out of protein-like molecules, called microspheres, will form spontaneously under the right conditions. They are not a likely precursor to the modern cell membrane, though, as cell membranes are composed primarily of lipid compounds rather than amino-acid compounds.

03. Thermal Vents

One current theory is that life originated deep beneath the surface of the ocean at deep sea hydrothermal vents. These hydrothermal vents were first discovered in 1979. Soon after, scientists made an exciting discovery. These vents release hot gaseous substances from the center of the earth at temperatures in excess of 572oF. Previously scientists were sure that life could not exist, deep beneath the surface of the ocean. After the discovery of hydrothermal vents, they found ecosystems thriving in the depths of the ocean. These ecosystems contained various types of fish, worms, crabs, bacteria and other organisms which had found a way to survive in a cold, hostile environment without energy input from sunlight. Because life had been found to exist where it previously was thought unable to, many scientists began to ask questions as to whether or not this was where life may have originated on the earth.

On the molecular level, the chances of life originating at deep sea thermal vents is not likely. It is known that organic molecules are unstable at high temperatures, and are destroyed as quickly as they are produced. It has been estimated that life could not have arisen in the ocean unless the temperature was less than 25oC, or 77oF.

Supporters of this theory claim that the organic molecules at the thermal vents are not formed in 300oC temperatures, but rather in a gradient formed between the hydrothermal vent water, and the extremely cold water, 4oC (39.2oF), which surrounds the vent at the bottom of the ocean.

03.Spontaneous generation in a primeval soup: Miller's Experiment

Stanley Miller, a graduate student in biochemistry, built an apparatus to simulate what he
believed was the atmosphere and conditions on the primitive earth.

He filled the glass chamber with:

* water (H2O
* methane (CH4)
* ammonia (NH3) and
* hydrogen (H2)
------ but NO oxygen.

Miller hypothesized that this mixture resembled the atmosphere of the early earth.
(Some are not so sure.) The mixture was kept circulating by continuously boiling and then condensing the water.

The gases passed through a chamber containing two electrodes with a spark passing between them (simulated lightning).

At the end of a week, Miller used paper chromatography to show that the flask now contained several amino acids as well as some other organic molecules.

In the years since Miller's work, many variants of his procedure have been tried.

Virtually all the small molecules that are associated with life have been formed:

* all the amino acids used in protein synthesis
* all the purines and pyrimidines used in nucleic acid synthesis .

04. Extra Terrestrial Sources

Panspermia
In the early twentieth century, a Swedish chemist named Svente Arrhenius developed a theory called panspermia. Arrhenius' theory accounted for life's origins by simply stating that life did not originate on the Earth, but originated elsewhere in the universe. He believed that cellular life reached the Earth hiding inside a meteor which hit the Earth long ago. Newly uncovered evidence suggests that this might be possible, since an organism inside a meteor (Picture of impactor) would be safe from the high levels of radiation in space, and would be kept at a relatively low temperature. The odds of an organism surving inside a meteor for thousands of years, however, are not high. It is even less likely that organisms would be able to withstand the high energy impacts of bolides into the Earth or other planetary objects. Most scientists today do not look at this hypothesis as a very likely origin of life on the earth. However, it is considered possible, at least for now, and so is still a candidate for life's origin on earth.

"Protoplasm is the basis of all living matter, and 'the vital power of protoplasm seems to depend on the constant presence of water' (Lowsons' Text-book of Botany, Indian Edition. London 1922, p. 23). Text books of Zoology are also clear on the point. For example, see T.J. Parker and W.A. Haswell, Textbook of Zoology, London, 1910, Vol I. p. 15: 'Living protoplasm always contains a large amount of water.' "

About 72 percent of the surface of our Globe is still covered with water, and it has been estimated that if the inequalities of the surface were all leveled, the whole surface would be under water, as the mean elevation of land sphere-level would be 7,000-10,000 feet below the surface of the ocean (cf. 11:7). This shows the predominance of water on our Globe. That all life began in the water is also a conclusion to which our latest knowledge in biological science points. Apart from the fact that protoplasm, the original basis of living matter, is liquid or semi-liquid and in a state of constant flux and instability, there is the fact that land animals, like the higher vertebrates, including man, show, in their embryological history, organs like those of fishes, indicating the watery origin of their original habitat. The constitution of protoplasm is about 80 to 85 percent water .

Moreover everyone knows that liquid water is essential for humans to survive. In fact, it is essential in the chemistry of all biological systems. Water provides the medium in which the transport of molecules can occur in reactions. Because water is necessary for all life, scientists look for evidence of liquid water wherever they search for life, whether it is somewhere on Earth, or even somewhere else in our solar system or beyond. In fact, astronomers are currently examining the satellites of Jupiter, Europa and Ganymeade, and Titan, one of Saturn's satellites, to see if they contain liquid water and the conditions which may give rise to life as we know it.

These are the recent efforts where human kind came to know that formation of first life was made only possible only when there was water. Also the anatomy of protoplasm is a recent discovery of the world .But This most scientific fact has been described in Quran.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Beautiful verse. Thank you for sharing.
Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them, and we made every living thing of water? Will they not then believe? (21:30)

The verse says that the universe originated from a single point and life originated from water.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Interesting. Does the Quran mention where man was created from?
Well actually we aren't CREATED from WATER.

I think that verse is actually just an observation.

Most come forth at birth with a flood of liquid (amniotic fluid) - to them - like fish from water.

Thus the idea that God creates man from water.

Zulk-Dharma

I've read on Wikipedia, in the Ahmadiyya section of science & religion, that some Muslims claim this verse about the origin of life is in perfect harmony with the scientific abiogenesis or at least compatible to accept it with religious justification.

I don't know much about abiogenesis and don't know how much this verse is referring to it, or at least the concept of it, can someone with more knowledge on this shed some light to it?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Interesting. Does the Quran mention where man was created from?

Augustus above has already told us the verse, 15:26. And I will provide the rest - showing the same idea as the Bible. That man is an earthen vessel imbued with Spirit/Soul.

Sahih International version - Qur'an

15:26 And We did certainly create man out of clay from an altered black mud.

15:27 And the jinn We created before from scorching fire.

15:28 And [mention, O Muhammad], when your Lord said to the angels, "I will create a human being out of clay from an altered black mud.

15:29 And when I have proportioned him and breathed into him of My [created] soul, then fall down to him in prostration."

OurCreed

There is no God but Allah
I've read on Wikipedia, in the Ahmadiyya section of science & religion, that some Muslims claim this verse about the origin of life is in perfect harmony with the scientific abiogenesis or at least compatible to accept it with religious justification.

I don't know much about abiogenesis and don't know how much this verse is referring to it, or at least the concept of it, can someone with more knowledge on this shed some light to it?

Abiogenesis is a process where non-living materials transform into living materials or organisms.

All living things in this world, if we trace their lineage all the way back to how life first formed, it all started with non-living material. Water and other elements of the known universe combined to form life. The Qur'an uses several words to describe these materials, water, dust, dirt, clay. These words are used in two contexts. The first context is the historical context, for the original Arab people during the early times of Qur'anic revelation to understand them.

If the Qur'an used modern scientific language to describe the creation and origin of life, the Arabs would not have understood the message, let alone believe in Islam. So God with wisdom had multiple contexts within the same message.

Now this second context is the scientific concept.

According to modern established science, everything here on earth comes from startdust, material which is thrown from stars, and other elements in space which have come to earth. These various elements have combined and created compounds. The Qur'an uses words for these elements and compounds such as dirt and dust. These became minerals and then mixed with water to create clay. After millions of years, life emerged from what was considered non-living at the moment.

That is abiogenesis.

Now I am definitely no expert, I probably made mistakes, so if someone can correct me on anything, that'd be appreciated.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hmm... the Quran mentions in another place that the people are made out of water that comes from between the backbone and the ribs (Quran 86:5-7). That water is interpreted to semen. Maybe the water subject of this thread's discussion is that water.

It could also mean the water that makes clay out of earth.

Dunno, I'm just guessing.

MOHAMMEDshoeb

the fact that the Qur'an while talking about man's creation, has referred to two distinct creations. One is the creation of Adam (the first man) and the other is the creation of the children of Adam. Adam, as shall be seen later, was created from water/dust/clay etc, while his progeny was created from "a drop of semen". These two creations are actually two distinct stages in the creation of man. The first man was created from dust etc and later on, his progeny was created from "`alaqa", which developed from "nutfah" (a drop of sperm). The Qur'an has itself referred to these two distinct stages of creation in Al-Sajadah 32: 7 - 8, where the Qur'an says:

Who made excellent everything that He created. He began the creation of man from clay, then made his offspring from a drop of humble fluid.

Thus, all those verses which refer to "`alaq", "nutfah" and the like are actually referring to the creation of the offspring of Adam, which according to the Qur'an itself was different from the creation of Adam
Man was made from water (21: 30, 24: 45, 25: 54)
Man was made from dust/soil (3: 59, 30: 20, 35: 11)
Man was made from sounding [extremely dry] clay from black stinking mud (15: 26)
Man was raised from the earth (11: 61)

Besides these verses, Al-Saaffaat 37: 11 gives an even different picture, as it says that man was created from such soil that sticks to one's hands, or sticky soil. The verse reads as:

We created them from a sticky soil.

I really do not know what is the contradiction in these verses. Anyone with a literary sense can see that these verses are not contradictory.

If someone says that I made a cake from flour (soil) and then says I made a cake from water (water), and then says I made this cake from a solution of flour and water (mud, sticky soil), and then says that I made this cake from a dried out solution of flour and water (sounding clay from black stinking mud) and then says I brought the cake out from the oven (raised from the earth), a person may say that the statements are contradictory. But it is quite obvious that they are not. These statements inform us of not only the major ingredients of cake (man) but also give us some information regarding the stages from which these ingredients were made to go through for the ultimate production of the cake (man).
I draw the following conclusions:
Two major ingredients in man's creation are soil and water;
The soil and water took the shape of sticky mud;
The sticky mud was left to dry out till it became hard (sounding clay);
The total process beginning from the mixing of soil and water till man's birth took place on this planet called "earth".

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

This is incorrect. Man was created from clay.

Shad

Veteran Member
You dismiss the contradiction by apologetics and content not found in either verses. You are injecting context to these verse is not there. Also several verses as specifically addressing people. 21:30 is addressing the believer regarding unbelievers thus not about Adam. 24:45 is generic and not specific to Adam nor huamans. 25:54 is human not Adam specific. 3:54 include Jesus thus could not be about Adam only. 30:20 is a sign to us thus about us. It specifically says we are made from dust thus applies to all humanity. 35:11 is about specifically humans not Adam. 15:26 is general not specific to Adam. 37:11 is addressing people not Adam. Many of the verse contract your explanation along since you didn't bother reading before posting.

Any competent person when asked what the recipes for a cake is will provide it collectively not piece meal.

MOHAMMEDshoeb

Consider the following Qur’aanic verse:

“Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one Unit of Creation), before We clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?”
[Al-Qur’aan 21:30]

Only after advances have been made in science, do we now know that cytoplasm, the basic substance of the cell is made up of 80% water. Modern research has also revealed that most organisms consist of 50% to 90% water and that every living entity requires water for its existence. Was it possible 14 centuries ago for any human-being to guess that every living being was made
of water? Moreover would such a guess be conceivable by a human being in the deserts of Arabia where there has always been scarcity of water?

The following verse refers to the creation of animals from water:

“And Allah has created Every animal from water.”
[Al-Qur’aan 24:45]

The following verse refers to the creation of human beings from water: “It is He Who has Created man from water: Then has He established Relationships of lineage And marriage: for thy Lord Has power (over all things).”
[Al-Qur’aan 25:54]

Not from an Quran view. I had always been taught we come from water. I even saw in our Smithsonean (historic museum) that scientist agree we do.

Not something I can negotiate. I agree with the Quran.

Adam was created from clay, just as Prometheus created man from clay and the Biblical God created man from earth and countless other mythologies that predated Islam did. So if you are saying 'we' i.e. humanity comes from water then that is not what the Quran says. It does not teach that we evolved from water based life-forms, humanity was a distinct and separate creation.

I don't think the evolution of other animals from water is distinctly ruled out, but I still can't get too excited about a desert based society identifying a connection between water and life. That pretty much means they have eyes.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe we come from water and return to the earth. Water can be interpreted as fluid from the mother's belly. With that, the first child could not be born outside of fluid. So I agree with the Quran in post 5 and it makes sense in post 15 that there are two creations; I dont agree. When we die we turn to ashes and join with the earth.

So the water is our birth, cleansing, and rejuvination. It mirrors the moon phases where the moon controls the tides and we are in line with them as well.

We return to the earth. Our anceators are there. Our family. Thats are home.

We are not born from clay. I cant rationalize that even logically. Sounds all scriptural.

Adam was created from clay, just as Prometheus created man from clay and the Biblical God created man from earth and countless other mythologies that predated Islam did. So if you are saying 'we' i.e. humanity comes from water then that is not what the Quran says. It does not teach that we evolved from water based life-forms, humanity was a distinct and separate creation.

I don't think the evolution of other animals from water is distinctly ruled out, but I still can't get too excited about a desert based society identifying a connection between water and life. That pretty much means they have eyes.