• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL and Trump

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Wait midway thru and it gets all patriotic. The ending is the best a player carrying a flag thru a line of players all holding flags.

A Vestigial Mote

What you believe and what law states are 2 different things. Yes NFL stadiums go out of there way to promote famous people coming to sing the national anthem. Yes the NFL adds go out of there way to link National Pride to NFL games.
What the law states? You still haven't answered that one. What law? Where is this written? Who is required to observe this law? Athletes? Kids in school? Everyone? Is there a clause protecting people in wheel chairs from prosecution? What about amputees? Are they required to wear prosthetics if the national anthem is playing? You are blowing smoke. Just admit it to youself and stop.

A Vestigial Mote

Within the first couple of lines:

The NFL encourages its players and fans to respect our nation’s flag while respecting the First Amendment rights of people wishing to express themselves politically, Commissioner Roger Goodell said in response to a question from a fan.

Encourages? So what? Do you think they can break the first amendment right of people wishing to express themselves politically? Do you honestly think they should?

As far as I can tell, your second link is broken.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
What the law states? You still haven't answered that one. What law? Where is this written? Who is required to observe this law? Athletes? Kids in school? Everyone? Is there a clause protecting people in wheel chairs from prosecution? What about amputees? Are they required to wear prosthetics if the national anthem is playing? You are blowing smoke. Just admit it to youself and stop.

Deceptive Advertising Definition - Consumer | Laws.com

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Everyone has an axe to grind", something I always say, meaning everyone has a complaint about something.
Yeah, I got the meaning. I just wondered about the context, if there were an import or allusion I was missing.
Something I welcome with open arms. It gives me warm fuzzies to know I'm being looked after.
"Looked after" meaning surveilled,watched, blackmailed, controlled?
Sounds like authoritarian submission.

An American Stazi doesn't give me warm fuzzies.
Maybe you're the 'strong father' psychological type.
Can you blame them, when every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to put a bullet in them? How many police officers have been executed just sitting in their patrol cars?
Give a man cool, macho toys and there's sometimes an irresistible urge to play-act the part -- and to use them inappropriately.
You don't see any of this as protection for you? I do. Not so sure about the CIA though; they've always been questionable.

I'm of the opinion that if I haven't done anything wrong, I don't have anything to fear.
Just look at the history of what happens to Liberals, intellectuals, artists, political dissidents and the 'social enemy du jour' when authoritarians are in power and begin flexing their muscle. Look at Argentina, Spain, East Germany, Chile and dozens more.
It can happen here.

@Augustus - when you said "North America" reminded me of something. People who think sports are apolitical should hear the crowd sing "Flower of Scotland" before a Scotland/England rugby match.
Team sports are, after all, vicarious tribal skirmishes, little different from tribal raids and skirmishes in the Amazon basin or the New Guinea highlands.
People are tribal. We love a good fight. If we don't have a tribe of our own, and an enemy, we'll create artificial ones.
A question I just asked on another "kneeling" thread that I want to ask here because it's not getting covered is why did Trump decide to get into this now, especially with so many other much more serious problems? What's his motive?
Motive?
I get the impression Trump's more impulsive than strategic.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Motive?
I get the impression Trump's more impulsive than strategic.
I agree with you to a point, but I think it goes well beyond that because of his patterns throughout his life. He has a long history of racist tendencies and one of also creating conflicts amongst his employees to see who'll "rise to the top". The only ethics he seems to have is that of having power and fame, and he feels that apologizing is a weakness. Belittling others seems to make him feel strong and dominant.

Now, which of these items, or possibly others, is/are largely contributing to his NFL rants? That I don't know, but I have my suspicions.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Last Try to get this off my chest.

What is the National Anthem to you? One Guy decides it equates to Black lives matter and then the world says, kneeing to it means you support black lives matter. Can the LBGT community also take a knee for discrimination against them. Can women take a knee because of discrimination against them. Is it OK for the religious to take a knee because of discrimination against them.

There is no direct link to the National Anthem, the flag and discrimination. They stand for the freedoms this country has gotten by all our past citizens and their fights for the rights. None in the past have ever taken a Knee for the Anthem or the flag but thrust it in front of them carrying it in their protest. Singing while they marched. Daring others to knock it from their hand or silence them.

You are an NFL player or any one in the Media and you want to support something put it on a Hat or shirt and wear it proudly in front of the camera and wave the flag or sing the Anthem to remind people of what America stands for. Don't manipulate what The Anthem or the Flag stands for.

To be honest one Guy tried something different and it really wasn't the right way to go but he had the freedom to try. Do we want to lose the symbol of our freedom for the mistake of one guy.