• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Next Prophet

nutshell

I think we're 99.999% sure it will be President Monson.

However, the practice of the senior most apostle become president of the church is one of historical precedent rather than any firm doctrine (to my knowlege).

The question is this: Can you imagine a scenario where the senior most apostle did not become president? If so, what is that scenario?

jonny

The only scenario I can imagine is that President Monson turns down the presidency of the church. I don't see that happening. President Monson has always been my favorite general authority. For some reason, he speaks to me in ways that others cannot. I'm looking forward to his leadership.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The question is this: Can you imagine a scenario where the senior most apostle did not become president? If so, what is that scenario?
I can't really imagine such a scenario, but unlike jonny, I think that if it were to happen, it wouldn't be a matter of President Monson declining to accept the call, but the entire Quorum (including President Monson) receiving revelation that it was to be someone else. That just seems highly unlikely.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The only scenario I can imagine is that President Monson turns down the presidency of the church. I don't see that happening. President Monson has always been my favorite general authority. For some reason, he speaks to me in ways that others cannot. I'm looking forward to his leadership.
Have I ever mentioned that he performed my wedding ceremony? If not, I guess now would be the time to be a name-dropper. I don't get all that many opportunities (since I'm not a descendent of Hyrum Smith or anything like that). :)

jonny

I can't really imagine such a scenario, but unlike jonny, I think that if it were to happen, it wouldn't be a matter of President Monson declining to accept the call, but the entire Quorum (including President Monson) receiving revelation that it was to be someone else. That just seems highly unlikely.

I should have said that. That is the likely/unlikely scenario. :)

It's obviously in God's hands.

nutshell

My question was not Monson-specific.

If the senior most apostle were incapacitated, would it still go to him?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Yeah I think it's just historical, not doctrinal. I'm a ward missionary and President Monson was our ward mission leaders bishop way back when. He always tells stories about President Monson. They're still very close to this day.

P.S. How do y'all like my new avatar? Everyone else was getting new ones. So I figured I should too.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
When Joseph Fielding Smith became the prophet, some thought he was too old and the tradition of succession might change.
I truly believe that God is in complete control. He has in place the man he wants in the position. None of this is just chance.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
When Joseph Fielding Smith became the prophet, some thought he was too old and the tradition of succession might change.
I truly believe that God is in complete control. He has in place the man he wants in the position. None of this is just chance.

Yeah I agree. Thats why it has historically been how it is.

Is she some kind of Wonder Woman rip off?

She's Darna, sort of the Filipino Wonder Woman. But she could kick Wonder Woman's can up and down the block.

nutshell

That didn't answer any of my questions.

nutshell

I'm not trying to make any predictions or even considering the current members of the quorum.

I'm trying to ask the hypothetical: In what scenario would the result be something other than the most senior apostle.

So far, I find the answers lacking.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Who would you like to see as the next President of the church ???

Who would I like to see as the next President of the Church?

The man the Lord sees most fit to lead His Church on earth. It does not matter who it is, just as long as the Lord sees him fit.

Whether it is President Eyring, President Monson, or even *gasp* someone not in the Presidency at the moment, it doesn't matter. As long as the Lord okay's the man, I'm okay with it.

Scott C.

Just one guy

Just my opinion, but I think it's no more likely that the President of the Twleve would not be sustained as President of the Church, than it is that a sitting President of the Church would be released for some reason. President Monson, at this moment, presides over the Church, since he is the Senior Apostle and there is no First Presidency.

cardero

Citizen Mod
She's Darna, sort of the Filipino Wonder Woman. But she could kick Wonder Woman's can up and down the block.
mrscardero and I watched a movie with her (Tagolog with English subtitles). Now I am trying to find comics and artwork by her creator, Mars Ravelo.

Scott C.

Just one guy
That didn't answer any of my questions.

I don't think anyone knows for certain what would happen in the hypothetical situation of a coma. My guess would be that the Quorum of the Twleve would wait to reorganize the First Presidency until the leader in the coma either recovered or passed away. The second senior Apostle would be sustained as Acting President of the Twelve, while the one in a coma would remain the President of the Twelve. It would be hard to sustain a man as President of the Church who could not consciously accept the position or organize the First Presidency. Also, I don't think the Quorum of the Twleve would ever bypass the President of the Twelve and call someone else, as the man could come out of the coma at any time. The only reason I think the new President of the Church would not be the Senior Apostle, would be in the case of serious transgression, in which case he would be removed from the Quorum all together. That's my best quess.