• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The new TMNT movie

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
With all these remakes lately, it was only a matter of time before they picked a great such as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I just found out about this Friday, and I seen the trailer for it on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTExFsVZXEQ

I love the Turtles. Ever since I was a kid, they've been my favorite. I've been lucky enough to get my kids into the Ninja Turtles. So when I seen that they were making a new Turtles movie, I was a little apprehensive. I hate remakes, and I have yet to see one that lives up to the originals.

But I viewed the trailer. And it was the most horrible thing I've ever seen. First, the ambiance of the movie itself is complete opposite of the originals. The originals were all about humor. This movie seems much darker in tone. Then there's the Turtles themselves. They look like rejects from Cloverfield (if you've never seen Cloverfield, don't, it's not worth it). Megan Fox playing April O'Neill? What a joke. And they decided to take the Shredder and completely redo his background story. He went from being a Japanese ninja named Oroku Saki, the enemy of Master Splinters teacher, to, from what I can tell, some American businessman named Eric Sachs.

So, will I be watching this when it comes out? Maybe, but from what it looks like so far, I won't be enjoying it, nor buying it on DVD. I would even suggest people not to watch it.

Why has Hollywood decided in recent years to destroy everything we loved when we were younger?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
With all these remakes lately, it was only a matter of time before they picked a great such as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I just found out about this Friday, and I seen the trailer for it on Youtube:

I love the Turtles. Ever since I was a kid, they've been my favorite. I've been lucky enough to get my kids into the Ninja Turtles. So when I seen that they were making a new Turtles movie, I was a little apprehensive. I hate remakes, and I have yet to see one that lives up to the originals.

But I viewed the trailer. And it was the most horrible thing I've ever seen. First, the ambiance of the movie itself is complete opposite of the originals. The originals were all about humor. This movie seems much darker in tone. Then there's the Turtles themselves. They look like rejects from Cloverfield (if you've never seen Cloverfield, don't, it's not worth it). Megan Fox playing April O'Neill? What a joke. And they decided to take the Shredder and completely redo his background story. He went from being a Japanese ninja named Oroku Saki, the enemy of Master Splinters teacher, to, from what I can tell, some American businessman named Eric Sachs.

So, will I be watching this when it comes out? Maybe, but from what it looks like so far, I won't be enjoying it, nor buying it on DVD. I would even suggest people not to watch it.

Why has Hollywood decided in recent years to destroy everything we loved when we were younger?

I will offer two possible, non-exclusive answers...
1) There's money to be made; and
2) if you're a not-very-talented creative type--seems like most of the entertainment industry, but I'm over generalizing--it's easier to steal something that has an existing appeal, and to "improve" it, than it is to come up with a new idea that people will want to consume. :D

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I'm not one to judge a remake or reboot until I see it. For example, many disagree with me, but I really enjoyed the Evil Dead remake. As a fan of horror films, the general consensus was "how dare they touch a classic" or "can't they think of anything original"?

That being said, remakes are made because 1.) They generally make money and/or 2.) It's a way for a new group of people to watch a well known story in a style in which they are familiar with. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just how things are. Heck, House of Wax with Vincent Price is considered a classic and it's a remake of an older film from the 30s.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I won't disparage all remakes. I loved the Karate Kid with Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith. But from what I can tell of the trailer, this one doesn't look to be good.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Shredder's army went from ninja to military... Shredder went from Japanese to American... I mean I usually don't mind something like that but it just seems so ingrained in Shredder's character to be Japanese, and it feels off.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member

Looks terrible so I probably wont watch it

Money. Plain and simple

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Dyanaprajna# said:
Go see The Lego Movie, and I promise you will feel better.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

It's always done that. But sometimes remakes of famous tv shows that are so derivative of the original that they're only recognizable in appearance and a vague notion of the storyline can actually work well. Think The Fugitive, or The Addams Family, or even Mission Impossible. Of course, we can never forgive Hollywood for The Flintstones. :D

My daughter is a huge fan of TMNT. Owns all the movie releases (hated the live action films from the '90s, loved the animated film). And she watched the trailer and thought, "meh." She doesn't have the visceral angered response that other fans have had.

You never know. I'm biting my tongue until the film is released and I can actually see it. Even if it's on DVD when I do.

freethinker44

I think if Hollywood wanted to make REAL money, they'd make a money on Minecraft. It'd be a blockbuster!

I can see how that story would go. Half the movie will be the main character digging and trying to build the biggest monstrosity he can think of, then the next half of the movie will be pitch black because he can't figure out how to light a torch, and then he hears a noise and dies but we don't see this because you can't see a ******* thing.

In case you can't tell, I hate that game.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Have you seen TMNT 3? Because it's pretty bad. Let's keep in mind before we judge a remake, that's the direction the originals were going and why they quit making them.

Well, yeah. Were the producers going to ask Corey Feldman to do the voice for Donatello again? :D

The Neo Nerd

Well splinters back story changed between the original cartoon series and the first movie.

I'll watch it out of sheer curiosity.

You never know, in a vacuum this movie could be great.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Quaxotic said:
You never know, in a vacuum this movie could be great.

Possibly, but I've already been entrenched in the franchise. I felt the same with Dragon Ball: Evolution; the movie, in-and-of-itself, wasn't bad, but having been a fan of the anime for years, I felt the movie was a betrayal of the series.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm not one to judge a remake or reboot until I see it. For example, many disagree with me, but I really enjoyed the Evil Dead remake. As a fan of horror films, the general consensus was "how dare they touch a classic" or "can't they think of anything original"?

That being said, remakes are made because 1.) They generally make money and/or 2.) It's a way for a new group of people to watch a well known story in a style in which they are familiar with. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just how things are. Heck, House of Wax with Vincent Price is considered a classic and it's a remake of an older film from the 30s.

I loved the Evil Dead "remake" (really a reimagining), too. Same for Snyder's Dawn of the Dead.

freethinker44

I loved the Evil Dead "remake" (really a reimagining), too. Same for Snyder's Dawn of the Dead.

I also liked The Evil Dead remake. I thought it was actually more of a loosely connected sequel. Even had Bruce Campbell reprising the role of Ash in the end. There was talk of him doing Army of Darkness 2 but I don't know if that's still on.

Like Dawn of the Dead remake too. Day of the Dead was remade a couple times but they were terrible, even for zombie movies.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I also liked The Evil Dead remake. I thought it was actually more of a loosely connected sequel. Even had Bruce Campbell reprising the role of Ash in the end. There was talk of him doing Army of Darkness 2 but I don't know if that's still on.

Like Dawn of the Dead remake too. Day of the Dead was remade a couple times but they were terrible, even for zombie movies.

Same. I like when the remakes take it in a new direction or reveal things that the originals didn't. I can think of a couple of remakes that is actually better than the original - the Crazies and Quarantine. Both of those remakes were excellent. Very creepy and violent. The original Crazies was laughable and George Romero should be ashamed of it. Lol. The original REC was a bore and too non-plausible to be scary. Some nonsense about demonic possession that doesn't really make sense. I don't understand why it's so well-liked, or at least appears to be well-liked from my observation.

Never saw the Day of the Dead remakes. They look pretty bad, though. I wonder when they're going to do a remake of the Return of the Living Dead. You can't tell me that's not on the horizon since it's such an iconic cult film.