• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The new devotee

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The temple I go to is lucky as 2 sides border nature, a deep ravine. The temple owns about 3 acres of it. So we get animals. Deer, coyotes, many kinds of birds (crows, ravens, geese, bluebirds, 2 kinds of woodpeckers, and more) weasels, rabbits, moose, and now, just recently, a juvenile porcupine. For the last 10 days or so, he's been coming right up to the concrete pad in front of the temple to munch on the clover. Every night around 9 PM at dusk (porcupines are nocturnal) he has his feast. I've never actually been there, but the priests say he's fairly tame. They (and the one priest's 3 children) get fairly close and watch. He's too busy eating to notice them much. I saw him when he was younger (coulda been a different one). The priest joke he's the most regular devotee, and I figure if he does have a human past, or connection, it is to kavadi, because of the quills.
Just sharing. I'll have to get the priest to email me the picture.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
That's amazing. Animals can for sure have devotion in their hearts, I believe.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Update ... originally my thoughts were that it might be the winter sidewalk salt that was attracting him, but that would be long gone I thought. Then just now I learned that they are attracted to salt ... a lot. So maybe that is it ... he does like to eat near the sidewalk (leaves his scat on the concrete) and the clover is everywhere. The deer eat almost anything, except marigolds and the hardy roses, thank goodness. I'm planting new grass in a few days, and they love that stuff. Just so long as they don't tell all their friends.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I did have a cat sneak into the puja room once...

He didn't know I could see him in there. He walked up to Shiva's altar and stood on hind legs, paws on the table, and just gazed up and Shiva for quite awhile.

It was really surreal.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I did have a cat sneak into the puja room once...

He didn't know I could see him in there. He walked up to Shiva's altar and stood on hind legs, paws on the table, and just gazed up and Shiva for quite awhile.

It was really surreal.

Aww. I wish my pets were reverent. Rudy is a tornado. I like to think Ganesha and Shiva are amused by him, though.