• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Atheists....

linwood

.... are ********

I`ve been cruising around RF for the past few weeks and I gotta tell you I`m not particularly impressed with this "Atheistic Revival" we`ve supposedly got going on here.

If this is what the Four Horsemen have spawned it`s just confirmation of my distaste for their religious writings and/or intellects.

A few examples of some absolutely irrational insights from those who hold themselves as the most rational.

*Atheists debating against the concepts of the Abrahamic faith in discussions where the Abrahamic faiths aren`t the point.

Do you guys know there are other religions in the world?

*Atheists using the argument from authority concerning science and scientific models with a dogmatic fervor that would make the Pope blush.

Do you guys know that Hawkings and Weinberg did NOT themselves create the universe in their images?

*Atheists simply being condescendingly rude.

This last one should come as a shocker from me as I have been known to be quite the ******* on this forum at times towards theistic claptrap.
The difference is I usually wait until someone has actually done something to deserve being *****-slapped BEFORE I tear into them.

Y`all ain`t making any converts.

You`re forcing theists to reinforce the walls of ignorance while reinforcing atheist stereotypes many have worked to dispel.

Humanistheart

Indeed it is.

Point being?

You have a rather argumentative thread here. One that seems more apt in the debate section. But what ever. Plus members outside the religion, or in this case lack of religion, are sopposed to keep comments respectful, and in the previous post I conversed with you you did not identify as an athiest when I specifically asked. So, do you have a right to post in this section? Are you in fact an atheist?

linwood

You have a rather argumentative thread here. One that seems more apt in the debate section. But what ever. Plus members outside the religion, or in this case lack of religion, are sopposed to keep comments respectful, and in the previous post I conversed with you you did not identify as an athiest when I specifically asked. So, do you have a right to post in this section? Are you in fact an atheist?

I am well aware of the rules of this forum as I was around when they were formed.

I specifically put this in the Atheist DIR because I feel it`s an issue that atheists should debate amongst themselves.
I rarely ever post in any DIR forum but this is an exception.

I also do not recall you specifically asking if I were an atheist.

I am not only an atheist I`m a strong militant atheist.

I`m just not always an ******* and that`s the point of this thread.

:)

You shouldn`t worry so much about "My rights" to post where I do.
The MODs here are quick, fair, and well versed in who is who.

Do you have a comment towards the OP?

Humanistheart

I am well aware of the rules of this forum as I was around when they were formed.

I specifically put this in the Atheist DIR because I feel it`s an issue that atheists should debate amongst themselves.
I rarely ever post in any DIR forum but this is an exception.

I also do not recall you specifically asking if I were an atheist.

I am not only an atheist I`m a strong militant atheist.

I`m just not always an ******* and that`s the point of this thread.

Do you have a comment towards the OP?

Also I see you have none as your religion, so are you not in fact an athiest yourself?

Back to the topic, the book of mormon and it's many flaws.

There's where it was asked. And funny enough the way you ended your last post was how I had the last several, asking if you had a relevant comment to the post.

The point of this thread is that you are not always an &#%***. Alright, enjoy patting your own back.

As for comments, what can I say about a thread designed just for you to congradulate yourself in? This is a pointless thread.

linwood

There's where it was asked. And funny enough the way you ended your last post was how I had the last several, asking if you had a relevant comment to the post.

In post #47 of that thread I did a bit more than give a relevant comment on the OP.
I gave a link to a previous debate 289 posts long that dissects, destroys, and makes utterly ridiculous any claim of original authorship for the BOM.
Maybe you missed it.

The point of this thread is that you are not always an &#%***. Alright, enjoy patting your own back.

As for comments, what can I say about a thread designed just for you to congradulate yourself in? This is a pointless thread.

That`s fine.
I was looking for a point of view that had just a tiny bit more "objective honesty" in it than you could supply anyway.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
If we're on the topic of ranting:

Abrahamic faiths bring about the world's disgust all on their own. I don't like it how its unacceptable to attack Christianity in most cases here simply because in order to have a decent debate we must first accept that a theist is right in believeing in God. Its a prerequisite to have a debate and its annoying. Its like the non-acceptance of the possibility of a God based on personal experience is somewhat of a taboo concept.

Also havn't you noticed, the angry atheists are in proportion to preachy fundamentalists with an IQ of 48 and a concept of this universe an 8 year old would have grown out of?

Humanistheart

In post #47 of that thread I did a bit more than give a relevant comment on the OP.
I gave a link to a previous debate 289 posts long that dissects, destroys, and makes utterly ridiculous any claim of original authorship for the BOM.
Maybe you missed it.

That`s fine.
I was looking for a point of view that had just a tiny bit more "objective honesty" in it than you could supply anyway.

Then it would have been an easy matter for you to simply have replied previously, yes I am an athiest. As for 'objective honesty' I find it unlikely your that dim as to not understand what that meant, and can only assume you're now using it in a misguided attempt to annoy, in a thread that you said was all about saying your not an ****. Rather contradictory.

Oh and I didn't miss this link, but hadn't read it yet and hadn't realized that was from you. I think this would be a good time to break and do that. Thank you for remminding me.

Humanistheart

Abrahamic faiths bring about the world's disgust all on their own. I don't like it how its unacceptable to attack Christianity in most cases here simply because in order to have a decent debate we must first accept that a theist is right in believeing in God. Its a prerequisite to have a debate and its annoying. Its like the non-acceptance of the possibility of a God based on personal experience is somewhat of a taboo concept.

Also havn't you noticed, the angry atheists are in proportion to preachy fundamentalists with an IQ of 48 and a concept of this universe an 8 year old would have grown out of?

So true.

linwood

You have a point but I don`t think it`s as relevant in this forum as you might think.
Trust me I`ve fairly successfully attacked in debate many god concepts here without ever relinquishing the point that there is no god to any theist.

However as I said you do have a point and it bothers me too.

It`s not the rules of the forum that force one to concede the god concept.
It`s the culture of the numerous "Bliss Ninnies" who become offended the moment you question someones fairy tale .
Just ignore them or demand they support their position (Which they can`t and won`t at which point they usually go away.)

An atheist doesn`t have to attack them on a personal level either outright or underhandedly.
(I`m not saying you do darkendless)

You have another point
Yes I have noticed the immaturity of the atheistic philosophies coming in here lately but it hasn`t always been so.
This is the reason for my reference to the Four Horsemen and the atheist revival.

It`s just irritating me that those who constantly espouse their rationality and open mindedness seem to be becoming as irrational and closed minded as those they rail against.

It`s funny really, in an irritating sort of way.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
You have a point but I don`t think it`s as relevant in this forum as you might think.
Trust me I`ve fairly successfully attacked in debate many god concepts here without ever relinquishing the point that there is no god to any theist.

However as I said you do have a point and it bothers me too.

It`s not the rules of the forum that force one to concede the god concept.
It`s the culture of the numerous "Bliss Ninnies" who become offended the moment you question someones fairy tale .
Just ignore them or demand they support their position (Which they can`t and won`t at which point they usually go away.)

An atheist doesn`t have to attack them on a personal level either outright or underhandedly.
(I`m not saying you do darkendless)

Oh of course not, i'm just saying. The general consensus is you do not attack beliefs because everyone knows no one can defend them and it gets messy quickly. However, i have lately been involved in debates where "faith" came up. Faith is my most hated word in the world when applied to religion. I've come to realise these people are happy in their self imposed ignorance and leave them be.

You have another point
Yes I have noticed the immaturity of the atheistic philosophies coming in here lately but it hasn`t always been so.
This is the reason for my reference to the Four Horsemen and the atheist revival.

It`s just irritating me that those who constantly espouse their rationality and open mindedness seem to be becoming as irrational and closed minded as those they rail against.

It`s funny really, in an irritating sort of way.

They're as hypocritical as they hypocrites they despise so much. It is kinda funny. I must confess i used to fly under such a banner :eek:

linwood

They're as hypocritical as they hypocrites they despise so much. It is kinda funny. I must confess i used to fly under such a banner :eek:

I suppose I did too at one time.

Maybe this "revival" has fattened the ranks of atheism.

Who the hell is going to educate them though?
They don`t seem to listen too well.

:shrug:

linwood

However, i have lately been involved in debates where "faith" came up. Faith is my most hated word in the world when applied to religion. I've come to realise these people are happy in their self imposed ignorance and leave them be.

I want to go back to this as it`s another point I should have put in my OP.

You can`t argue with faith yet I see many atheists attempt to do so.

Faith has no material evidenced foundation and most theists who rest their beliefs on pure faith will tell you as much.

There`s nothing of any substance to debate.

Leave them alone there is nothing to debate.

If they poke their nose into a substantial debate, simply ask them to support their position and when they can`t they usually go away.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I want to go back to this as it`s another point I should have put in my OP.

You can`t argue with faith yet I see many atheists attempt to do so.

Faith has no material evidenced foundation and most theists who rest their beliefs on pure faith will tell you as much.

There`s nothing of any substance to debate.

Leave them alone there is nothing to debate.

If they poke their nose into a substantial debate, simply ask them to support their position and when they can`t they usually go away.

Its hard. From my education i do not like truth labelled as such without evidence. Yet people claim faith is faith it doesnt have the be true for what i want it to be.

However, why is there 1 set of rules for life, 1 for religion? Its not special?

linwood

Its hard. From my education i do not like truth labelled as such without evidence. Yet people claim faith is faith it doesnt have the be true for what i want it to be.

Yes, it is hard but it`s senseless to do otherwise as you really can`t argue with faith.

These people have decided to live their very lives based upon an illusion in their minds.
This to me is insanity

How the hell do you argue with insanity?

Give it up, it only makes the atheist look like a bully for attacking them.

No it`s not right and it`s not fair.
It`s perception and while peoples perceptions are very often incorrect or irrational they are important if you truly want to be heard.
You can disagree with them but you cannot disregard their impact.

However, why is there 1 set of rules for life, 1 for religion? Its not special?
I`m not saying you have to give respect to theism whatsoever but you have to tolerate it just as we have to tolerate a seemingly endless supply of nuttiness in our society just to live within it.

Religion isn`t special nor does it deserve special consideration and you can make this point easily and well when confronted with a theist who is demanding respect for his myth.
He will feel slighted and insulted no matter how politely,rationally and calmly you do this.

Why make the mistake of being absolutely unable to defend your point of view in societies eyes by giving him the right to feel insulted by actually insulting him?

Again darkendless I`m not directing this at you personally.
I`m simply speaking to you as you seem to be the only atheist interested in a little self critique tonight.

:)

Amill

Apikoros
People are who they are. We can blame people for the way they act all we want, but we are all a product of our environment. In order to change someone's attitude and intellect they must be influenced and educated, so if there is to be change here then people will need to post in a way that influences the way other atheists think and feel. Are you willing? I'm relatively new here, so I'm not saying that you aren't an influence, because I don't know yet. Just saying that this is either a whine post or it will be a foundation that you'll build upon. Calling people out does nothing unless you help redirect them.

I've seen some pretty mature and intelligent atheists on these boards since I've been here, I think the problem is that most topics are still overwhelmed by the rest of us. Having more discussions within atheist forums would be a help, as we would be more likely to look deeply into the posts of the more intelligent guys, rather than bombarding the fallacies presented by theists. Some people are simply here to debate theists though.

Last edited: