• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Necronomicon by Simon

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
So, I have made my way into reading something else interesting as hell, as I move along slowly.

Right now I am reading "Dead Names" by Simon. This is supposed to tell the history of the Necronomicon, how it was found, and give an autobiography of it's founders... a few wandering bishops including Simon, Lavenda, Pratzky, and a few others who supposedly stumbled upon the text when sifting through rare books that other bishops had stolen from various libraries and rich people.

It also tells of relationships between a whole bunch of different people, like Gerald Gardner, as I mentioned elsewhere.

It says he was a member of the OTO and that he took those resources, toned them down, created his Book Of Shadows, and hence created Gardnerian Wicca. This of course would nullify the claims of it being the oldest religion, since it would be an adaptation of something else.

Once I finish this book I'm reading the Necronomicon and the The Gates of the Necronomicon. And I want someone to chat with about it on here as well as on other forums, because I love you guys :).

Anyone read these??? Hmm Hmm???? If you haven't you should. It won't hurt you. It's just a book about Sumerian Magic.

Pleeeeaaase............ :D

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Oh whatever it's still an interesting read!

Occultism has caught my attention. I want to learn about it all.

The Necronomicon is the focus for Chaos Magic apparently, and it doesn't have to be "real" or "true" to work apparently. People who openly declare it is fiction still admit how effective it is. It is actually all in your head so they say.

Regardless it is notorious and I am determined to pick it apart. :D All the while being careful not to conjure up any bug-a-boo's.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I read all that a while back when I first stumbled upon that Goetia book. I looked up the Necronomicon too just for giggles and found that.

It wasn't anything I could look up that sparked my interest in finally checking it out. It was the gradual stacking up of information and experiences I have read of other people having with the book, and one particular class discussion/tutorial on the book that will take you like, 5 hours to read and is just mind blowing. It was various online people in a private forum discussing their experiences in detail, picking them apart, all being similar, and learning. It was wild. I can't explain it. There is a lot of crap to sift through, but once you get to the people who you know are educated, are totally normal and down to earth, and they are talking about this in such detail it sounds like microbiology, I was like... okay. I'm going to check into this for myself and make my own conclusions now :D.

I know you of all people wouldn't be the one to believe wikipedia at face value and not wait until you investigate for yourself;)

I also wonder why, out of all the "Necronomicons" did the Simon translation get chosen as the Occult standard while the others aren't even mentioned? Hence the 800,000+ sold copies, and any experienced occultist telling you that the Simon version is the only proper version... There has to be something interesting there.

Also, wouldn't you think that the subject of occultism as a whole is mostly fiction? lol.

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Do not get me wrong, I found the Necronomicon an interesting read.
And you are right, I did do a ton of research into it.

As to why Simons version sold better...
I dunno, why does one particular version of the Bible sell better than other versions?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I have The Necronomicon by Simon and have read it. I haven't gotten around yet to reading Dead Names(have it on my shelf). I also have Gates of the Necronomicon and the Nerconomicon Spell Book(which is just the 50 names of Marduk).
And though I understand the the Necronomicon is fiction, I have found that it does work(all magic takes is Will), but yeah...
I also have Tyson's Necronomicon, based more on Lovecraft's version. ^_^

Last edited:

justin

student
While it is very usable, I saw it as perhaps a little distasteful that the author included the Lovecraftian entities among the Sumerian and Akkadian ones. I have not worked very indepth with this book, but I have somewhat. It works, I can say. I've seen on other boards others who have found that despite it's being a forgery, that it does indeed work. I was informed privately by a member of another board, however, that the initiation scheme is highly accelerated, without time to really balance and integrate the energies utilized, and this can cause problems. Potentially, at any rate.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
While it is very usable, I saw it as perhaps a little distasteful that the author included the Lovecraftian entities among the Sumerian and Akkadian ones.
I agree, but being written by someone you might consider himself a Chaote(guessing here) he wouldn't care how distasteful it is.

I have not worked very indepth with this book, but I have somewhat. It works, I can say. I've seen on other boards others who have found that despite it's being a forgery, that it does indeed work.
I believe that that's because that since it's in the realm of Magic(k) if one put energy into it it will work whether other believe it's real or not.

I was informed privately by a member of another board, however, that the initiation scheme is highly accelerated, without time to really balance and integrate the energies utilized, and this can cause problems. Potentially, at any rate.
That makes sense, Simon seems to just throw you into it quick.

justin

student
I agree with your posts I've got to say. I can definitely see Simon as being a Chaote, his eclectic mix of fiction and myth, and his constant insistance that the Nec is genuine in order to build belief around the book. Interesting stuff! Regardless of my opinion of Simon, the guy is obviously a practicing magician and not an armchair scholar.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I agree with your posts I've got to say. I can definitely see Simon as being a Chaote, his eclectic mix of fiction and myth, and his constant insistance that the Nec is genuine in order to build belief around the book. Interesting stuff! Regardless of my opinion of Simon, the guy is obviously a practicing magician and not an armchair scholar.

Wow I've never heard that before. What a brilliant idea. He aggressively worked to build belief around the book, to feed it energy, which is why it is fiction yet it still works. It's like how chaos magicians create servitors and feed them energy to make them work, but this is a 1000 times more complex and in book form.

Right? :confused:

Clover

Taoist & Shintoist Farmer
I have heard about it a lot in the Evil Dead series, I'd like to read a book if they had one on it's history, or if they made one out of it.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I have heard about it a lot in the Evil Dead series, I'd like to read a book if they had one on it's history, or if they made one out of it.
Well Evil Dead took the idea from H,P, Lovecraft who came up with the book in his Cthulth Mythos. But that's different then the E.D. one and Simon only uses some of it in his. The book 'Dead Names" is the "Dark History" behind the book written by Simon.

If someone want a Necronomicon that's more like Lovecraft a say one should read,Nacronomicon: The Wandering of Alhazred by Donald Tyson.
Necronomicon: the wanderings of Alhazred - Google Books

Mr Cheese

From what I've seen, sexual energy/fluids/acts seem to be a constant everywhere in general occultism.

Well spare was so ugly, unliek crowley who humped anything that breathed practically, Spare ended up using clay pots...and burying them.

Personally you may find that ok, but that along with cakes of light, I assume you know what they are... kinda makes me raise an eye brow...

But each to their own..... to me such acts are literalism and stupidity...
But there are lots of unsavory "general occult practises", such as the charging of talismans..... again probably a wee bit too adult for the public side of this forum

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Personally you may find that ok, but that along with cakes of light, I assume you know what they are... kinda makes me raise an eye brow...

But each to their own..... to me such acts are literalism and stupidity...
But there are lots of unsavory "general occult practises", such as the charging of talismans..... again probably a wee bit too adult for the public side of this forum

Yeah some of that is pretty sick. I don't know what I think about it. It depends on if it is actually functional in it's purpose. If it's actually neccesary and deeply impacts what you are trying to do, or... if it is just a sick practice from the sick part of someones mind.

Sireal

Setian
Yeah some of that is pretty sick. I don't know what I think about it. It depends on if it is actually functional in it's purpose. If it's actually neccesary and deeply impacts what you are trying to do, or... if it is just a sick practice from the sick part of someones mind.

Much of Uncle Al's Work is meant to take the Initiate Outside of it self in order to see the Self. The "cakes of light" I feel are one of these "triggers" that moves the psyche into a different mode of expression that lends itself handily to the improvement of the Initiate. Not that you should bugger off (no pun intended) and go make your own but do not judge it unless you've done it seriously.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You do know that the Necronomicon is pure fiction, right?
Some of it is based on Lovecraft's own nightmares, true, but a good part is also based on actual lore.

I've only gotten to read a small part of it awhile ago, and only remember a few things about it.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Much of Uncle Al's Work is meant to take the Initiate Outside of it self in order to see the Self. The "cakes of light" I feel are one of these "triggers" that moves the psyche into a different mode of expression that lends itself handily to the improvement of the Initiate. Not that you should bugger off (no pun intended) and go make your own but do not judge it unless you've done it seriously.

See I figured there was a deeper purpose than just prepping for Fear Factor food. I just haven't reached that subject in my studies yet.

I have read that a lot of Crowleys work was also meant to be... shocking to the reader, but not taken literally. The example I remember being given was the human sacrifices.

As far as the sexual stuff, I don't think its too adult. That's funny cause it wasn't too horribly long ago I realized how talismans are charged. lol.

One of the key underlying concepts seems to be the reconciliation of opposites, just generally, and sex is considered one of the ultimate physical reconciliation of opposites, and so it is used a lot.

Elle327

Goddess of War
:help: Okay. I was like talking to my dad about like ouija boards and stuff and he told me about the Necronomicon book. He told me that when he was like 15, his friend lent him the book and told him that if he read the whole thing through, he'd die in 6 years. (Needless to say, he skipped some parts) So he told me it was like about Hell and demons and stuff like that. So I've been researching and found a bunch of crap. My friend said she watched a thing on the Discovery Channel about Hell and they mentioned it. She said it was like the equivelent of the Bible, but from Satan's point of view. So if someone could clear it up for me, that'd be great!