• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Near Total Failure of Government in the U.S.

PureX

Veteran Member
For many decades in the U.S. it has been a common practice for corporations, corporate conglomerates, and wealthy individuals to pool their considerable resources and use that wealth to bribe state and federal legislators, and anyone else in government of whom they desire special consideration and cooperation to gain an unfair market advantage that results in their ability to garner huge profits for themselves at the expense of the American people. And this practice has by now become so prevalent and institutionalized, and so effective, that no politician will dare even speak of it for fear of being stifled and driven out of public office by virtually every politician around them. Only the most rare and insulated politician will even elude to it. And none are willing to try and attempt any sort of reform that would seek to end the rampant legalized bribery of our government.

To make matters worse, as these corporate conglomerates and the wealthy elites that run them gain more and more and yet more wealth, they have also now been able to buy control of the media, and particularly of the news media. Allowing them to make sure that the whole subject of legalized bribery and of organized corporate economic pillaging stays out of the public's general realm of attention. And to instead keep us all occupied with silly and pointless social arguments, causes, and debates. And we have been falling for this ruse for decades. We're still falling for it.

The effect of all this bribery and corruption within our government has been that it has become totally and completely unable and unwilling to act on behalf of the well-being of the citizens its supposed to be serving, and instead only seeks new and better ways to funnel every possible dollar into the hands of the wealthy corporate elites that control them. That, in a nutshell, is ALL our government does, now. And everything else it pretends to do is just theater intended to serve as a distraction to the citizenry so they won't see themselves being systematically robbed with the full cooperation of their own elected officials.

And now the poison of all this corruption has finally infected even the most 'untouchable' corner of government in the land: the Supreme Court. The inevitable has finally happened, as the corrupt politicians have finally managed to stack the court with enough corrupt judges that the court can no longer function as it was assigned to do. The last bastion of hope for the U.S. citizen being protected from the greed and stupidity of capitalism has fallen. And there is no one left to help them now.

Shortly, the people of the U.S. will lose what little ability they have to effect political change via the voting booth. Voting will no longer matter to the outcome of an "election" because voting will just be a bit of empty theater meant to keep the citizenry thinking they are still "in charge". It's functionally that way, already. And we did this to ourselves. The moment we chose to vote for a politician because he or she promised to install biased judges, and to bring us jobs that don't pay a living wage, and to allow 'free trade' to run amok at the cost of everyone and everything else, we voted for our own destruction. We voted stupidly and selfishly and now we have a government that is so stupid and selfish that it's going to destroy everything and everyone we care about.

This isn't about whether or not abortion should be legal or illegal. It's about men deliberately lying to get themselves installed on the Supreme Court, and then forcing the court to throw women to the wolves and whims of state politics. To abandon its most sacred duty to protect minorities from the abuse of the majority, as well as to protect any subset of citizens from any other more powerful subset of citizens. It is the single most important responsibility of government. It's why we established a government. And especially so of the courts. But instead, the highest court in the land deliberately set aside the previous protections and then refused to replace them with whatever they determined to be better. Leaving the states to do whatever they please to a huge subset of U.S. citizens.

What if, next, this court decides to set aside the laws banning slavery, allowing the states to decide that practice for themselves, too? Or how about the laws banning debtor's prisons? ... This decent into a new 'dark age' continues to progress. And there are too many among us that are applauding it and encouraging it.

It's a sad, sad, thing to witness.

Altfish

Veteran Member
It is the same in the UK, the Government (especially the right wing ones) are more concerned about looking after the party and their donors rather than the country and people they are supposed to represent.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
We are given the choice of two banners:
  1. The Sky Is Falling
  2. Elections are Coming
In the immortal words of Joe Hill ...
  • Don't mourn, organize!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Government has been failing me all my 68 years.
Every year, people always thought it was the worst.
The sky had finally fallen.
Then the next year arrives, & it becomes the worst ever.
If that were really happening, wouldn't we be roiling in
the Lake Of Fire by now?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
We are given the choice of two banners:
  1. The Sky Is Falling
  2. Elections are Coming
In the immortal words of Joe Hill ...
  • Don't mourn, organize!
But once all branches of government have been corrupted enough, there will be no means, short of armed insurrection, to fix that government itself. I've been banging this drum for years now, and have been frequently told that I'm "overreacting" and "hysterical."

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
the Lake Of Fire by now?
68 years is a short time in the life of nations. The battle against Roe has been going on for 85.3% of your whole time on earth -- and has just now been won (or lost, depending on your viewpoint).

PureX

Veteran Member
It is the same in the UK, the Government (especially the right wing ones) are more concerned about looking after the party and their donors rather than the country and people they are supposed to represent.
The poison was and is capitalism. It's a fundamentally competitive economic system that pits everyone against everyone else, thereby encouraging fear, greed, exploitation and lack of compassion. People who live under such conditions for many generations eventually become the system. They have no idea that there might be any other way to live. So they vote for politicians that they think will serve their own interests. And they get politicians that will enact policies and laws that serve THEIR own interests and the interests of the rich people that pay them off. Leaving the voter exploited by his own selfishness, and left aside. Capitalism as a system is fundamentally unethical, immoral, and brutally non-compassionate. So as we have become it (or it becomes us), and we elect it's poison culture into public office, it just turns on us and bites us in the *** every time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
68 years is a short time in the life of nations. The battle against Roe has been going on for 85.3% of your whole time on earth -- and has just now been won (or lost, depending on your viewpoint).
The battle is ongoing.
We'll eventually win.
Patience, grasshopper.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You're right - let's give up.
Okay, rebuke understood. But unlike @Revoltingest I am pessimistic about how some things might be accomplished. I've been reading the many sides of every argument here on RF for 9 years now, and have yet to see one side see the reason behind the other, and give so much as a millimeter.

Look at the recent debate(s) over Roe. People are talking past one another, because one side will only consider "the baby (person)" while the other will only consider the woman's rights. I've been trying for years now to find a balance, and my posts on the subject (I always start with "I don't like abortion" and I always end with "sometimes I have to accept it") are routinely ignored. Why? Because I don't fall completely on one side or the other, and therefore don't deserve the attention of either.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The poison was and is capitalism.
Nay, it's the antidote.
What could be better than individuals acting voluntarily in concert
with their fellow humans to strive for success & independence,
unconquered by the slavering thieving minions of government.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Nay, it's the antidote.
I think both you and @PureX are partly right. I myself believe that capitalism is the only economic system that can actually create wealth. The problem is how much is it controlled. In the United States, the answer is "not very much." In places like England, France and Canada, much more so.

Look at the rules around political funding in those countries, compared to your own. Corporations are strictly limited in England, France and Canada as to how much they can contribute to political parties -- as are individuals. In France, example, companies can't contribute anything at all (though their owners can, limited to their personal individual maximums). And any contribution over $152 euros MUST be made by cheque (the reason should be obvious). How French parties and politicians are funded

Canada has similar rules. As of 2021, the maximum yearly contribution limit is $1650 to a given federal political party, $1650 to a given party's riding associations, $1650 to a given party's leadership candidates, and $1650 for each independent candidate. The maximum total contribution is set at $3300. Notice that this has little impact on the middle and lower classes, for whom $3300 is actually a lot. But hugely affects the very rich, for whom it is money they could probably find in the sofa.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I The problem is how much is it controlled. In the United States, the answer is "not very much." In places like England, France and Canada, much more so.
What's the basis for the claim?
As one who does business here, I'm seeing
a whole lotta control. You'd be amazed.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
the Lake Of Fire by now?

Some things take time to unfold.

PureX

Veteran Member
Nay, it's the antidote.
But that isn't capitalism. That's basically communism. And it only works on very small scales and for very short periods of time.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Nay, it's the antidote.
The antidote to the problems created by capitalism is more capitalism?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some things take time to unfold.
R.7445d4cd15196456076e005772a38c05

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The OP overstates my opinion but I basically agree that we've been seeing the disintegration of our institutions.

I am, weirdly enough, a long term optimist for spiritual reasons. My attitude can be summed up with the image of the phoenix now entering the flames of renewal. We've been in dire straights before - our revolution, Civil War and again today.