• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nature Of Propaganda

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
"Propaganda is communication that is primarily used to influence an audience and further an agenda, which may not be objective and may be selectively presenting facts in order to encourage a particular synthesis or perception, or using loaded language in order to produce an emotional rather than a rational response to ..."

--Wikipedia

Perhaps this thread should have been titled, Do You Believe What You Are Being Told? My perspective is that nothing on television reflects my values. I don't buy cable television, so my opinion on that is not an issue. I don't much watch it anymore, and it has been a relief.

How about you? Does television hold value for you? Also, how would you define propaganda in our day?

pexels-dids-5777492.jpg
Photo by Dids from Pexels

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
"Propaganda is communication that is primarily used to influence an audience and further an agenda, which may not be objective and may be selectively presenting facts in order to encourage a particular synthesis or perception, or using loaded language in order to produce an emotional rather than a rational response to ..."

--Wikipedia

Perhaps this thread should have been titled, Do You Believe What You Are Being Told? My perspective is that nothing on television reflects my values. I don't buy cable television, so my opinion on that is not an issue. I don't much watch it anymore, and it has been a relief.

How about you? Does television hold value for you? Also, how would you define propaganda in our day?

View attachment 46072

I don't do much television, either. Certainly not cable, though sometimes we put on public TV cartoons for the kids. Mainstream entertainment kind of shows some strange(to me)alternate reality, and one that I don't want to be a part of. I'm pretty discriminate with internet usage, too. Used to have really bad anxiety, and I eventually learned that moderating my 'media diet' made a big difference.

It seems you can choose your propaganda these days, by tailoring your newsfeed or other media to repeat stories you want to hear in ways you want to hear them. You choose the response you want to get, in a way.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

--Wikipedia

View attachment 46072

Our World is full of it.

Political Selling from a National level down to local government.
Advertising, even within Advert Standards rules.
Media companies seeking attention.
etc

I love the local government examples, such as the Council's Parking Enforcement Department being called 'Parking Services'.... :p

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

--Wikipedia

View attachment 46072

I don't do much TV and am extremely cynical (surely not me) about ads. I make up my own mind at time of purchase. So i see the propaganda of advertising to be a waste of money.

But there is one ad that struck me

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I gave away my last TV to a bar that a friend of mine worked at because theirs had broken just before a Superbowl. That was 30 years ago. I have never owned a TV since, and I have almost never missed owning one.

Propaganda is a fascinating subject -- I mean on the nuts and bolts level. The Wiki definition seems like a good one to me, but you could read it all day and all night without getting even a hint of how well developed and science-based the techniques of propaganda are today.

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
It seems you can choose your propaganda these days, by tailoring your newsfeed or other media to repeat stories you want to hear in ways you want to hear them. You choose the response you want to get, in a way.
We do create our own bubbles online. YouTube is happy to help you on that path, which is good and bad. But there is always the search box to nudge it in a different direction if you are curious.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
When I get a little free time these days, I tend to spend it listening to music videos on YouTube, but it annoys me how seldom I find anything new or different in my 'feed' -- in their list of recommended videos. There's whole worlds of music out there just waiting to be explored!

Beyond that, if I still have some time left over, I visit RF.

As for FaceBook and Instagram, I almost never log on. I hired a young woman from Florida to make occasional promotional posts on those platforms in connection with my books. I'm paying her to do it mainly to free up some time for me, but also partly because I can't stand those platforms. They just tell you what you know or think you know.

I quit watching MSNBC a few years ago when I realized they were just feeding me my own opinions back at me. That is, either my own opinions or opinions too close to my own. I grew up in a small town where everyone thought so much alike I was screaming inside for diversity by the time I was a teenager. I still to this day have a low tolerance for 'sameness' -- especially in opinions.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
As a kid i heard stories of Lord Haw Haw Haw who broadcast German propaganda to the UK during WW2. One of the most listened to comedy shows during the war

Lord Haw-Haw - Wikipedia

I heard of him, but I've never listened to one of his broadcasts. I suppose there might still be recordings.

Tokyo Rose had quite a following among US personnel in the Pacific Theater. No one believed her "news", but they liked her music.

She was actually several young women -- some of them forced into the job.

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
When I get a little free time these days, I tend to spend it listening to music videos on YouTube, but it annoys me how seldom I find anything new or different in my 'feed' -- in their list of recommended videos. There's whole worlds of music out there just waiting to be explored!

Beyond that, if I still have some time left over, I visit RF.

As for FaceBook and Instagram, I almost never log on. I hired a young woman from Florida to make occasional promotional posts on those platforms in connection with my books. I'm paying her to do it mainly to free up some time for me, but also partly because I can't stand those platforms.
Try the search engine. I find that if you kick YouTube as if it were a rusty old machine, it will spit out alternatives. sometimes it takes a day or two to pan some gold, but you can find nuggets down stream.