1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nativity Story, Fact Or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Religious News' started by Skwim, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,828
    Religion:
    Agnostic

"Because FOX News has nothing else to talk about this week, Lou Dobbs of FOX Business Channel had Trump cultist Pastor Robert Jeffress on to discuss the latest controversy involving Amazing.[sic]

What controversy, you might be wondering? That’s the right response. There isn’t one. But I’ll take a shot at explaining their theory anyway.

Last month, the conservative author Thomas D. Williams published a book called [The] First Christmas

[​IMG]
    which tells the Nativity story with rhymes and illustrations. The Amazon page for the book says it’s currently ranked 14th in “Christian Poetry,” 66th in Catholicism, and 30th in “Children’s Christian Holiday Fiction.”

[​IMG]

. . . Jeffress made it sound like Amazon head Jeff Bezos personally killed Jesus with that listing.

… Look: Nobody should be surprised that Jeff Bezos and his Amazon/Washington Post Empire can’t tell the difference between fact and fiction…
    All of that is just Christian Outrage over nothing."
    source

So, is this "just Christian Outrage over nothing" or not?

2. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,112
    Religion:
    None
    Its a rather obvious attempt to rake in Christian money in the coming season. No point in publishing on say June eh, no profit in that.

And of course considering that the Nativity was not celebrated for around 300 years after the assumed date of the assumed birth of the assumed jesus then ... Something to think about before buying the book

3. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,309
    Religion:
    Christian
    Well...the Nativity Scene, as shown on many church properties, with the “wise men” at the manger, is not Biblical.

It was the shepherds who visited Jesus & Mary at the manger. The “wise men” — astrologers, really — found Jesus later, living in a house. Matthew 2:11

It’s an outright lie.....but very few seem to care.
    To me, it reveals an inclination to not value what truth is; if some church leaders are willing to lie about little things...they’re probably willing to overlook the truth in more important matters.

4. lukethethird

lukethethird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +418
    Religion:
    Xian
    All versions are true historical accounts, so I've been told.

5. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +16,821
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Since the version in Luke has Jesus born over a ten year time span I am going to go with fictional.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thirza Fallen

Thirza Fallen Crazy Cat Lady

Ratings:
    +788
    Religion:
    Liberal Quaker
    I would like to think that most adults know it did not historically happen. So much was taken from previous myth, and that's okay, as long as you don't pretend it's real.