• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The name Michael

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd explain the settlement but it's off topic. We are talking about Michael, not about Jesus.

graalbaum

Triple Sun
vie
That is a really really really really old argument :facepalm: It's been settled.
from an exoteric view sure....
to the point where we reach beliefs like mormonism where "God"becomes three beings...

no orthodox view would state jesus is "like" God.... thus the trinity is "seperate"beings
but then that arguably is a problem of christianity...it is an esoteric truth expressed in an exoteric form

To me I always thought Michael as like God was more about his countenance and appearance and his nature..... I shall have to check on this

I did say SOME traditions consider Jesus to be secretly Michael
you don't agree, nor do I, doesn't mean those opinions don't exist...

"Michael should need no introduction to Western esotericists.
His name means "the Perfect of God" or "He that is like
God". Leader of the Heavenly hosts, Prince of Light,
Vanquisher of Darkness, his titles are many along the same
lines. He is usually seen as an armoured Being in the act of
subdueing the Enemy of the Evil One. His weapon is not the
sword but the Spear."

--gray

but anyway... your thread, your mode of thought...I should go to bed lol

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is Michael a name for the spirit that led faithful Israel to the Messiah who is like God?

Who is like God?....who is like God?.....who is like God? .....who is like God?....who is like God.....who is like God?......who is like God?.....

Is it what made the way for the one like God to be born?

Now that the question has been satisfied in some minds, I can see those minds now saying; who is like Satan who will be attempting to challenge my mind?

The asking "who is like God?" led to The Messiah. Now what will "who is like Satan?" lead to? My guess is Satan. I'm not going with those fyi. Is it what "get out of her means"? It's possible. But it's off topic.

whirlingmerc

In some traditions Jesus is Michael, but I don't think that's supported by the close side by side references to Jesus then Michael separately such as Jude and Revelation
if it was important that they were the same this would lead one to think otherwise

whirlingmerc

Its a really old argument and the 'not one iota different argument'

Two greek words meaning the same nature or like the same nature different in one letter near the middle, the iota
and the answer I think from Athenasious but I might be wrong.. was the same and not one iota different

Apparently not 'settled' in everyones mind

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In some traditions Jesus is Michael, but I don't think that's supported by the close side by side references to Jesus then Michael separately such as Jude and Revelation
if it was important that they were the same this would lead one to think otherwise
There are people now, whose chosen profession is to be making more people like they are, who believe and teach that anyone who won't believe that Michael and Jesus are the same and that Jesus is pictured as the character of Revelation 6:2 are rebelling against God Almighty because he or she will not become "one mind in agreement" with them. 1 Corinthians 1:10

Kent856

The idea that Michael the archangel is another name for Jesus is not very well supported. In addition it is not a core Jw teaching. You won't be labelled a "demon" or "apostate" If you disagree with this conclusion.

;)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The idea that Michael the archangel is another name for Jesus is not very well supported. In addition it is not a core Jw teaching. You won't be labelled a "demon" or "apostate" If you disagree with this conclusion.

;)
Thank you. Someone here is teaching for Jehovah's Witnesses and she says that to be a JW a person must be in agreement with the teachings of the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses. Now, you seem to be saying something different.

I am staunchly opposed to the JW teaching that the men of the governing body are the faithful and discreet slave. Is this a core teaching?

Kent856

I am staunchly opposed to the JW teaching that the men of the governing body are the faithful

We are united worldwide in our core beliefs, the additional things can be tricky and cause many arguments and disagreements. Especially things that are not of real importance.

The governing body are indeed the "faithful and discreet slave" since they are those taking care of the "household" here on Earth at this point.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We are united worldwide in our core beliefs, the additional things can be tricky and cause many arguments and disagreements. Especially things that are not of real importance.

The governing body are indeed the "faithful and discreet slave" since they are those taking care of the "household" here on Earth at this point.
So, a JW can indeed label me a demon.

I do not know what the word discreet means in its original writing but if it means this: careful and circumspect in one's speech or actions, especially in order to avoid causing offense or to gain an advantage, the men of the governing body are not that. How can God's word call them something that they are not?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

There was a time when Rome took care of God's household on Earth. Wasn't there?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's true that roman rule prevented outright lawlessness, which protected Christians. But providing spiritual direction? I don't think Rome did that. Besides, Rome is just a place.
No. Romans helped in the building of God's people's spiritual places.

Once while Jesus was visiting Capernaum, a centurion sent a delegation of Jewish elders to him with a request to come and heal a dying slave. As part of an appeal to persuade Jesus to accept the centurion’s request, the elders said, “He is worthy to have you do this for him, for…he built us our synagogue” (Luke 7:4-5, RSV).

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So? Am I to believe that the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses are they who provide which direction that I am to take?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@Kent856 I am sure Jesus taught that God provides spiritual direction. John 5:19 John 6:38

Jehovah's Witnesses do the will of the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses. This is something that can not be denied.