• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The naivedyam thread

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Aanayottu – A unique & grand feasting festival for elephants, Thrissur, Kerala, India. – keralatourism.holiday
cover1-2.jpg

My grand daughter's in-laws are from this place.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Curries go well with naan, not peach; or even yogurt, salted or sweetened. But Shiva will not complain, someone else would have offered curry.
A cooked vegetable is another option with naan / chapati.
Someone else would have typically offered the peach and milk. They would have replaced the naan not the fruit I think.
Aren't fruits and milk typically offered to Shiva?

In any case, I like peach with naan, chapati / roti with carrots, or some other bread form with cucumbers. What is wrong with that? :)

Last edited:

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
As Lord VishNu goes into the 4 month (ChAturmaas ) yogic slumber - Yoga nidrA, on the Devashayani EkAdashi a.k.a. AshADhi EkAdashi (but on the other hand, ironically stays with or visits the devotee...)
(shayan = to sleep),
(the important one in the month of AshADh, its counterpart being Devutthapan Ekadashi (when VishNu wakes up from the yoga nidra) a.k.a. KArtiki EkAdashi (Ashadh + 4 months = Kartik),

Some Fasting ideas:

1. Peeled and sliced raw (very green) bannana or plantain , sliced 2 mm, saute-baked over a pan greased with ghee/butter , sprinkle sea-salt for taste. Serve with buttermilk -- beaten plain lowfat yogurt or curd, diluted/mixed with water, with a pinch of sea salt and a pinch of jeera (cumin) powder

2. Boiled potato with sea salt, optional dash of ghee, and the same buttermilk as above

3. A ripe mango

4. Warm herbal tea - decaff

5. Panchamrut - dugdha = milk + dadhi = yogurt + ghRuta = ghee + sharkarA = sugar + madhu = honey + water

---

First month of Chaturmaas -- some VaishNav optionally / volunteer to give up leafy greens for the first month.

Wishing everyone a very spiritual and happy Devashayani (AshADhi) EkAdashi
|| om namo bhagavate v@sudevAya ||

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If Lord Rqama could accept half eaten plums from Shabari, and Lord Krishna could not wait for the rice sent by Sudama's wife to be cooked, I am sure Shiva will refuse what you offer him with love.
Namah Shivaya.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If Lord Rqama could accept half eaten plums from Shabari, and Lord Krishna could not wait for the rice sent by Sudama's wife to be cooked, I am sure Shiva will refuse what you offer him with love.
Namah Shivaya.

This … not tasting food before offering … is something I could never quite understand. If I am cooking for family, friends, some dignitary or honored guest I want to make sure what I cook is fit for consumption and/or pleasing to the guest. If something does not come out right I’m certainly not going to offer it to them. Hence, I think it’s ok and important to taste it. I don’t mean make a meal out of it before offering it … that’s greedy and impolite …I mean just tasting it for correctness (? I’m having trouble finding words again). Mother Śabarī did just that … she threw away the sour, bitter and unpalatable fruits, offering Lord Rāma only the sweetest fruits. In the tv series (the 2012/2014 version) Lakshmana looks at Lord Rāma like “eww, are you seriously going to eat them?” :D But yes, He did.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Correction in my post (Did you notice it?):
"I am sure Shiva will NOT refuse what you offer him with love."

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I got that. I knew what you meant. ;)