• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The naivedyam thread

bhakta!

I used an orange this AM, because the only banana I had was prasadam from the temple from Thai Pusam. It wouldn't be right to use that as an offering at home as well. We also got a garland as prasadam, because we were sponsors of the homa. Now that, I did put on the Tiruvadi, and then Nataraja for the second day. It carries the vibration of the temple with it, and brings blessings to the home. Generally these days I store a few flowers in our shrine room, for a couple of days before the weekly trip to the temple with garlands. It adds to the vibes in there too.

That's nice. I have to stock up on fruits. I'll buy a few today.
Which homa was done at the temple? Do you know how to string garlands?

bhakta!

With my wife, it is 'kasaar', wheat flour fried with ghee and then sugar added to it, less than what is used for halwa, no water, so it is dry. I like it at times, chldren too. But there are other sweet things to eat too, so it accumulates. Then my wife fries it again with more ghee and puts water in to make it into halwa. Then it is consumed quickly by family members. Of course, Panchamrit is a must with lotus seeds, almonds and Tulsi leaves. Festival prasadam is more elaborate with panjiri, kheer and various type of laddoos. :)

An yearly function is 'punn' in honor of Mother Laxmi when a thick, crisp sweet bread is made. That has to have very exact measure of ingredients, expertly rolled out and deep fried. That is a beauty, we call it 'roth'. Last new moon was in honor of Yaksha, the winter spirit, when a risotto is offered. I have mentioned that in my other posts. Offer of non-veg. items to Shiva and Mother Goddesses is now out of fashion.

roth-2.JPG

Looked up Kasaar, Roth and Panjiri. Great dishes for naivedyam. I'll try to prepare Kasaar this weekend. Going by the recipe, it appears to be doable for a rookie cook like me(I have to be careful about the fast burning of the flour part).

Can you tell the risotto recipe?

bhakta!

Namaste
Which naivedya ? Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner as long as it is possible. BG 9.26, BG 9.27 basically.

More detail: Pure sAtvik vegetarian food - shuddha sAtvik - without onion garlic mushroom coffee etc. [ This list in brown (onion garlic mushrooms coffee...) is what I learned later from PrabhupAd in 2006 - and it was great to skip these in the diet . ]

Rule of thumb: Whatever you grew up eating and is in your diet culturally geographically regionally, pick the pure sAtvik vegetarian ingredients out of that and prepare naivedya with love.

BG 9.26 पत्रं पुष्पं फलं तोयं यो मे भक्त्या प्रयच्छति |
तदहं भक्त्युपहृतमश्नामि प्रयतात्मन: || 26||

If one offers to Me with devotion, leaf, flower, fruit, or water, I accept it and partake of it with great delight.
[VaishNav AchAryas say that this list - leaf flower fruit water/pure liquids is comprehensive to cover pure sAtvik vegetarian food as well as the fragrant flowers offered]

BG 9.27 यत्करोषि यदश्नासि यज्जुहोषि ददासि यत् |
यत्तपस्यसि कौन्तेय तत्कुरुष्व मदर्पणम् || 27||

Arjun, whatever you do, eat, offer as sacrifice (yadnya) ,donate, gift, and whatever austerities you perform (tapas) , do all of it as an offering to Me.

Thank you.:praying:

bhakta!

This is almost the sweet maThri isn't it? I found that both the sweet and savoury MaThri are pretty common in North India.
When I visited Dwarka -- and then left for Somnath , Shri KRshNa-RukmiNi sent me off very lovingly with parcels of sweet and savory MaThri and revadi. I survived on it for almost 4-5 days during and after the stay. There was no time to eat during the day and who wants to go out in the dark looking for dinner? So maThri and revadi it was -- which I would otherwise consider high-calorie foods! Fat and sugar.

Beautiful temples (I haven't been there tho).
Adding Mathri and Revadi to my naivedyams list.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's nice. I have to stock up on fruits. I'll buy a few today.
Which homa was done at the temple? Do you know how to string garlands?

For major festivals or if somebody sponsors one, a major homa is done. This one was for Murugan, as it's a Murugan festival, and in particular Palaniandavar. The khumbhams were poured on Him.

As to garlands, I don't know how, the knotted way, or the banana threads way they use in South India, but I can manage with needle and thread, and know about three ways. Different flowers need different methods. Right now, here, I use mini-carnations.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I hope it is not wrong to start a 'naivedyam' thread, just so as to post any interesting food you prepared for daily offering to god! (Frequently we run out of ideas so I thought it might be useful to have this thread).

Today I tried Red banana payasam (kheer).

Recipe: Chop 2 ripe red bananas into pieces and boil them in milk for about 10- 15 min. Then lightly smash the banana pieces just so that they are not so distinct! Add a mixture of ground Almond (about 10 in number) in milk (you can additionally add a few dates to this mix) - give a whip in the blender and add this paste/mix to the boiling milk with bananas. Finally add a scoop of jaggery/brown sugar and turn off the stove.

The recipe turned out excellent, despite the fact I used skim milk only. View attachment 57493 View attachment 57494

I cooked some rice for Sri Ganesh once and offered it. But I usually offer fruits. I need to learn to make Modak, though, Sri Ganesh would be overjoyed.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I cooked some rice for Sri Ganesh once and offered it. But I usually offer fruits. I need to learn to make Modak, though, Sri Ganesh would be overjoyed.

It isn't hard. :) I made it once for him. I didn't have modak molds, but I managed to make it work just using my hands.

bhakta!

For major festivals or if somebody sponsors one, a major homa is done. This one was for Murugan, as it's a Murugan festival, and in particular Palaniandavar. The khumbhams were poured on Him.

As to garlands, I don't know how, the knotted way, or the banana threads way they use in South India, but I can manage with needle and thread, and know about three ways. Different flowers need different methods. Right now, here, I use mini-carnations.

Nice.

I too don't know the knotted and other ways. I tried to tie flowers with a thread once but ended up crushing more flowers than I strung:oops:. I can string chrysanthemums and marigolds with a needle (it's easy to do with some flowers). I use only one method with the needle. What are the other two techniques? Could you teach us the three ways?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Nice.

I too don't know the knotted and other ways. I tried to tie flowers with a thread once but ended up crushing more flowers than I strung:oops:. I can string chrysanthemums and marigolds with a needle (it's easy to do with some flowers). I use only one method with the needle. What are the other two techniques? Could you teach us the three ways?

The simplest one is your way, straight up through the middle of the flower. It works with many flowers, both sizes of marigolds, carnations, etc. With mini carns, (my favorite flower to work with currently) you can spread each preceding flower in the middle of the petals to pull them tighter together.

What I call the triangular way (my words) works for the smaller marigolds and mini carns (you can combine these two). If you imagine a clock, it helps. the flowers will point at 12, 4, and 8, and you work your way around like that. So you go sideways through the smaller bottom part of the flower, and tie the first one. Imagine that one to be pointed at 12, then you do one at 4, then 8, then back to 12, and continue that. It leaves all the small green parts on the inside, and the beautiful flower part pointing outward. It makes a thicker garland than the straight through way, but you need almost double the flowers for the same length.

Rose petal garlands are made by folding each petal (works better with two people) over 3 times, or rolling it. Then you put the needle right through the middle, and as you add each petal, you shift it over 1/3 like in the previous 12, 4, 8 style. It'll make a beautiful garland but it won't last long.

Have fun. I learned by experimentation, and have used sweet peas, nasturtiums, etc. If you want to see some beautiful Hindu wedding garlands, google Fancy Florist + Toronto, and look at their pictures.

https://www.fancyflorist.com/wedding-garlands.html

Enjoy.

Last edited:

bhakta!

The simplest one is your way, straight up through the middle of the flower. It works with many flowers, both sizes of marigolds, carnations, etc. With mini carns, (my favorite flower to work with currently) you can spread each preceding flower in the middle of the petals to pull them tighter together.

What I call the triangular way (my words) works for the smaller marigolds and mini carns (you can combine these two). If you imagine a clock, it helps. the flowers will point at 12, 4, and 8, and you work your way around like that. So you go sideways through the smaller bottom part of the flower, and tie the first one. Imagine that one to be pointed at 12, then you do one at 4, then 8, then back to 12, and continue that. It leaves all the small green parts on the inside, and the beautiful flower part pointing outward. It makes a thicker garland than the straight through way, but you need almost double the flowers for the same length.

Rose petal garlands are made by folding each petal (works better with two people) over 3 times, or rolling it. Then you put the needle right through the middle, and as you add each petal, you shift it over 1/3 like in the previous 12, 4, 8 style. It'll make a beautiful garland but it won't last long.

Have fun. I learned by experimentation, and have used sweet peas, nasturtiums, etc. If you want to see some beautiful Hindu wedding garlands, google Fancy Florist + Toronto, and look at their pictures.

https://www.fancyflorist.com/wedding-garlands.html

Enjoy.

Thank you!

bhakta!

Only that it is much more crisp and is full of ghee, therefore special. I do not think even Dwarika mathri would match it. However, when we offer it to Mother Laxmi, Lord Vishnu also will partake it. Mother Laxmi would not like to eat it alone. :)
Well, Indians do not care for calories and therefore are supposed to have more cases of diabetes.

Most of the prasadams I know are brimful of butter, sugar, ghee or oil. I feel these are not suitable for diabetics and persons who have to restrict their diet for medical reasons.

I can't think of naivedyam options. Are there any regular naivedyams that have no sugar and/or less fatty contents, and are ok healthwise for them?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Are there any regular naivedyams that have no sugar and/or less fatty contents, and are ok healthwise for them?
Sure, Charanamrit, fried wheat flour (Kasaar), all types of halwa, kheer (pudding). One can put as little sugar as one wants. Lotus seed preparations, fruits, come to mind. Not necessary to load it with sugar and fats as some people will do.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Most of the prasadams I know are brimful of butter, sugar, ghee or oil. I feel these are not suitable for diabetics and persons who have to restrict their diet for medical reasons.

I can't think of naivedyam options. Are there any regular naivedyams that have no sugar and/or less fatty contents, and are ok healthwise for them?
I am surprised. Either you forgot this post #17 on this thread for which you thanked me not so long ago, for the BG shlokas as well, and PMed me for a list of items,
and despite this you are back to

ghee sugar naivedya
Can't think of naivedya options?

That means you do not think regular albeit pure sAttvic food can be naivedya?

Daal rice is not naivedya? Vegetable sabji is not naivedya? Dahi-vaDa is not naivedya?

Lotus seed, crystal sugar, sesame candy , dry fruit , nuts are non-perishable prasad that can be packaged and lasts many days.

Other than that it depends on what you want to do, and why does there have to be a whole lot of variety in it?

Even in a regular meal-naivedya , there is everything from the food pyramid -- carbs, protein, vitamins, veggies, fruit nuts, sweet preparations like kheer, with less sugar.

So I do not get why naivedya has to be what you get as prasad in mandirs.

The clues are in BG 9.26, 9.27

-------------------------------------
Funny story:
Once Vraj vAsis asked KRshNa why He always hushes them up when devotees try to explain how KRshNa is ParaBrahman. KRshNa replied "Shhh Don't tell them! If they find out, they will stop treating Me as their friend and immediately lock me up in a Temple behind those iron railings all day, and I will have to survive on only revaDi* everyday!"

*revaDi = hard sesame candy

Last edited:

bhakta!

Sure, Charanamrit, fried wheat flour (Kasaar), all types of halwa, kheer (pudding). One can put as little sugar as one wants. Lotus seed preparations, fruits, come to mind. Not necessary to load it with sugar and fats as some people will do.

Yes, that's true. Lotus seeds preparations might be a good option. Thank you.

bhakta!

I am surprised. Either you forgot this post #17 on this thread for which you thanked me not so long ago, for the BG shlokas as well, and PMed me for a list of items,
and despite this you are back to

ghee sugar naivedya
Can't think of naivedya options?

That means you do not think regular albeit pure sAttvic food can be naivedya?

Daal rice is not naivedya? Vegetable sabji is not naivedya? Dahi-vaDa is not naivedya?

Lotus seed, crystal sugar, sesame candy , dry fruit , nuts are non-perishable prasad that can be packaged and lasts many days.

Other than that it depends on what you want to do, and why does there have to be a whole lot of variety in it?

Even in a regular meal-naivedya , there is everything from the food pyramid -- carbs, protein, vitamins, veggies, fruit nuts, sweet preparations like kheer, with less sugar.

So I do not get why naivedya has to be what you get as prasad in mandirs.

The clues are in BG 9.26, 9.27

-------------------------------------
Funny story:
Once Vraj vAsis asked KRshNa why He always hushes them up when devotees try to explain how KRshNa is ParaBrahman. KRshNa replied "Shhh Don't tell them! If they find out, they will stop treating Me as their friend and immediately lock me up in a Temple behind those iron railings all day, and I will have to survive on only revaDi* everyday!"

*revaDi = hard sesame candy

Namaste,

Daals, Sabzis and many everyday food items are usually served along with rice. Normally available rice is the highly polished white one. I heard that eating such rice regularly may cause insulin spikes in diabetics (they are advised to eat oats or maybe millets instead?). A sedentary lifestyle is more noticed in present times. Persons with some medical conditions can't engage in much physical activity. So they have to be extra careful to avoid eating fat/carbs-rich foods as they can get overweight quickly - and obesity can lead to more health problems. They too probably should not eat rice often, many kinds of fruits, some nuts and sugary preparations. I do not know if uncustomary items like oats, millets, etc., are used to make naivedyams. I asked my questions considering the situations of these ailing people. I did not express what I had in my mind clearly in the earlier post, I'm sorry.