• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mystic way of knowing (for the skeptics)

Swami

In another discussion, I tried to introduce my idea that scientists need to accept Eastern thought. The consequence of not doing this would leave science without answers to the big questions, the origin and nature of Universe, life, and consciousness. A lot of misunderstanding of my view seems to be centered around how the Eastern approach leads to "knowledge". I will explain further by reference to a good article on Mysticism vs. Reason.

This is taken from Bertrand Russel's essay, Mysticism and Logic.
"The first and most direct outcome of the moment of illumination is belief in the possibility of a way of knowledge which may be called revelation or insight or intuition, as contrasted with sense, reason, and analysis, which are regarded as blind guides leading to the morass of illusion. Closely connected with this belief is the conception of a Reality behind the world of appearance and utterly different from it. This Reality is regarded with an admiration often amounting to worship; it is [10]felt to be always and everywhere close at hand, thinly veiled by the shows of sense, ready, for the receptive mind, to shine in its glory even through the apparent folly and wickedness of Man. The poet, the artist, and the lover are seekers after that glory: the haunting beauty that they pursue is the faint reflection of its sun. But the mystic lives in the full light of the vision: what others dimly seek he knows, with a knowledge beside which all other knowledge is ignorance.

[…These more or less trite maxims may be illustrated by application to Bergson's advocacy of "intuition" as against "intellect." There are, he says, "two profoundly different ways of knowing a thing. The first [(intellect)] implies that we move round the object: the second [(intuition)] that we enter into it. The first depends on the point of view at which we are placed and on the symbols by which we express ourselves. The second neither depends on a point of view nor relies on any symbol. The first kind of knowledge may be said to stop at the relative; the second, in those cases where it is possible, to attain the absolute."[4] The second of these, which is intuition, is, he says, "the kind of intellectual sympathy by which one places oneself within an object in order to coincide with what is unique in it and therefore inexpressible" (p. 6). In illustration, he mentions self-knowledge: "there is one reality, at least, which we all seize from within, by intuition and not by simple analysis. It is our own personality in its flowing through time—our self which endures" (p. 8)."
----------------------------------------------------
Bertrand Russel is very intelligent. He "read" about the way of the mystic but he did not experience it for himself. Under the yogic system, becoming one with an object is called "samadhi". Using this approach, you can become one with the Universe, life, and consciousness which will reveal their true nature.

Wandering Monk

In another discussion, I tried to introduce my idea that scientists need to accept Eastern thought. The consequence of not doing this would leave science without answers to the big questions, the origin and nature of Universe, life, and consciousness. A lot of misunderstanding of my view seems to be centered around how the Eastern approach leads to "knowledge". I will explain further by reference to a good article on Mysticism vs. Reason.

"The first and most direct outcome of the moment of illumination is belief in the possibility of a way of knowledge which may be called revelation or insight or intuition, as contrasted with sense, reason, and analysis, which are regarded as blind guides leading to the morass of illusion. Closely connected with this belief is the conception of a Reality behind the world of appearance and utterly different from it. This Reality is regarded with an admiration often amounting to worship; it is [10]felt to be always and everywhere close at hand, thinly veiled by the shows of sense, ready, for the receptive mind, to shine in its glory even through the apparent folly and wickedness of Man. The poet, the artist, and the lover are seekers after that glory: the haunting beauty that they pursue is the faint reflection of its sun. But the mystic lives in the full light of the vision: what others dimly seek he knows, with a knowledge beside which all other knowledge is ignorance.

[…These more or less trite maxims may be illustrated by application to Bergson's advocacy of "intuition" as against "intellect." There are, he says, "two profoundly different ways of knowing a thing. The first [(intellect)] implies that we move round the object: the second [(intuition)] that we enter into it. The first depends on the point of view at which we are placed and on the symbols by which we express ourselves. The second neither depends on a point of view nor relies on any symbol. The first kind of knowledge may be said to stop at the relative; the second, in those cases where it is possible, to attain the absolute."[4] The second of these, which is intuition, is, he says, "the kind of intellectual sympathy by which one places oneself within an object in order to coincide with what is unique in it and therefore inexpressible" (p. 6). In illustration, he mentions self-knowledge: "there is one reality, at least, which we all seize from within, by intuition and not by simple analysis. It is our own personality in its flowing through time—our self which endures" (p. 8)."
Bertrand Russel is very intelligent. He "read" about the way of the mystic but he did not experience it for himself. Under the yogic system, becoming one with an object is called "samadhi". Using this approach, you can become one with the Universe, life, and consciousness which will reveal their true nature.
magic.jpg

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
In another discussion, I tried to introduce my idea that scientists need to accept Eastern thought. The consequence of not doing this would leave science without answers to the big questions, the origin and nature of Universe, life, and consciousness.

In science we don't just want any answers. We want answers that are testable, measurable, and independently verifiable.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Using this approach, you can become one with the Universe, life, and consciousness which will reveal their true nature.

Which is, usually, referred to as ‘Pure Consciousness’ or something like that.

Apart from being an unprovable, and probably irrelevant, assertion, that is an assertion about a subjective interpretation of a mental state.

I don’t see why that would be crucial to science, or for that matter to yoga and meditation.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I'm now reading a book by Dr. Sy Garte, PhD biochemistry who has had over 200 scientific papers published in areas such as genetics, molecular epidemiology and cancer research.

His research and study of areas such as quantum mechanics, evolutionary biology , chaos theory and other areas gradually turned him from a dedicated and committed atheist to a believer in God, and in his case a Christian.

https://smile.amazon.com/Works-His-...r_1_1?keywords=sy+garte&qid=1574318658&sr=8-1 for any that are interested.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Perhaps the reason was that he was a Biochemist. He should have stuck to that and should not have played with Quantum Mechanics.
But I agree, giving lectures and writing articles and books can be profitable.

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

Perhaps what is described above as intuition isn't a form of knowledge? Maybe it's better described as awareness?

Maybe mysticism skips over knowledge in favor of awareness?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Which is, usually, referred to as ‘Pure Consciousness’ or something like that.

Apart from being an unprovable, and probably irrelevant, assertion, that is an assertion about a subjective interpretation of a mental state.

I don’t see why that would be crucial to science, or for that matter to yoga and meditation.
Science is a way of researching and understanding the workings of the material world from the material world; from the level of consciousness associated with this world.

In addition to the usual lack of empirical evidence, testability, predictivness, &c, the assertions of sages, seers, schizophrenics, prophets, charlatans, soothsayers, mediums, &c suffer from inconsistency. Apart from the mystical experience, everyone seems to be describing different revelations and relaying different messages. Even the mystics often sound like raving lunatics, trying to describe what can't be comprehended, in languages unsuited to the task.

How would one with 4-D vision describe the appearance of a tesseract? In a black-and-white world, would chromatics be considered mad?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, anyway, that is the claim. But how can that claim be verified?

Suppose, for example, I experience 'being one with the universe'. How do I know that experience isn't just another illusion? How do I know that what I think is the 'true nature' really *is* the true nature?

And that gets to the more fundamental point. The very essence of the scientific outlook is skepticism. New ideas are adopted, but only after thorough testing by people who initially disagree with the ideas. That is an absolutely crucial aspect to how to approach knowledge: always be skeptical, especially when you have an intense experience.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
....Science....The manipulation of the existence of that which surrounds us.
....Religion....The manipulation of the existence of the mind that is within us.
.......'mud.......No manipulation at all.......just Life and Stuff.......and seashells.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
How would one with 4-D vision describe the appearance of a tesseract? In a black-and-white world, would chromatics be considered mad?

A good question. And an easy answer: no, they would not.

It is easy for an achromat to test to see if the colors claimed by chromats are consistent. For example, have one chromat look at something and say what the color is. Then have a *different* chromat look at the same object. Then another, then another. if they all say the object is the same color, then even the achromat knows there is something going on.

By the way, this is actually how color blindness was first discovered: Dalton noticed other scientists describe colors he didn't see and realized it was his own perceptions that were lacking.

The best way to describe the tesseract is mathematically. And any competent mathematician would be able to determine whether someone is actually seeing four dimensionally.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, anyway, that is the claim. But how can that claim be verified?

Suppose, for example, I experience 'being one with the universe'. How do I know that experience isn't just another illusion? How do I know that what I think is the 'true nature' really *is* the true nature?

And that gets to the more fundamental point. The very essence of the scientific outlook is skepticism. New ideas are adopted, but only after thorough testing by people who initially disagree with the ideas. That is an absolutely crucial aspect to how to approach knowledge: always be skeptical, especially when you have an intense experience.
Which is why I criticize those who's metaphysical views agree with mine, who have not actually had the experience.

One who's been outside the cave can't hope to convey the experience to his comrades watching the shadows, and any shadow watchers who accepted his ravings would be fools.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A good question. And an easy answer: no, they would not.

It is easy for an achromat to test to see if the colors claimed by chromats are consistent. For example, have one chromat look at something and say what the color is. Then have a *different* chromat look at the same object. Then another, then another. if they all say the object is the same color, then even the achromat knows there is something going on.

By the way, this is actually how color blindness was first discovered: Dalton noticed other scientists describe colors he didn't see and realized it was his own perceptions that were lacking.

The best way to describe the tesseract is mathematically. And any competent mathematician would be able to determine whether someone is actually seeing four dimensionally.
Good points. This is why we rely on science and maths to test and "describe" real but imperceptible phenomena. Accepting unsupported claims is foolishness.
Without science and maths such claims would, indeed, be woo.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

This is very misleading and inaccurate on multiple levels, but I'm only going to draw attention to one of them right now.

I would like everyone to realize that in our culture, we for some reason consider "science" and "magic" to be mutually exclusive categories in the context of this nonsensical meme. The reason our answers don't turn out to be "magic" is because we stop calling it "magic" once science gets its hands on it.

That is all. I didn't look at the OP's other thread, and I don't really know what they are going on about.

The other related thing I was going to mention is to remind people that sciences are descriptive, not prescriptive. It is not about finding "the answer" in some prescriptive, dogmatic way. All the sciences do is describe (to the best of our flawed and limited knowledge as humans) the world around us as constrained to particular standards of methodology. That's not to say it isn't awesome and amazing, but being aware of the philosophy of science and its inherent limits is important. And might be related to whatever the OP was getting at. I dunno.

epronovost

The problem with ''intelligent and wise'' people is that they are never short of an explanation to excuse their bull****.

Swami

I accept that magic doesn't work but out of all of the scientific tools you posted you left out consciousness. Consciousness is not magic. Everything that we know of is based on our "awareness" of it. It is not too much of a leap to say that not only is "knowledge" based in our consciousness but all of the "Universe" is as well.

The Eastern mystics discovered that you don't need the bodily senses to "know". If anything, the senses only lead to an illusion that everything is separate from yourself. In the pure conscious state (without sensory and mental input) you perceive reality differently. Instead of perceiving the moon as seperate, you realize that you and the moon are one - there's really no separate existence. You can even experience as the moon experience.

Last edited:

Wandering Monk

I accept that magic doesn't work but out of all of the scientific tools you posted you left out consciousness. Consciousness is not magic. Everything that we know of is based on our "awareness" of it. It is not too much of a leap to say that not only is "knowledge" based in our consciousness but all of the "Universe" is as well.

The Eastern mystics discovered that you don't need the bodily senses to "know". If anything, the senses only lead to an illusion that everything is separate from yourself. In the pure conscious state (without sensory and mental input) you perceive reality differently. Instead of perceiving the moon as seperate, you realize that you and the moon are one - there's really no separate existence. You can even experience as the moon experience.

We use tools and peer review to eliminate our conscious or unconscious biases.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As a believer in the validity of many mystical and psychic experiences, I am not holding the position that the answers are 'magic'. I hold the position that our physical realm is just a subset of a greater reality that science can not yet directly detect with physical senses and instruments.

To call that 'magic' in the way you have comes across as an intentionally derogatory attitude. We say there is 'science' behind everything but our science at this time is restricted to the physical realm subset of all reality.