• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The myopia of the "Settle for Biden" group

Tambourine

If presented with two items that you didn't want, where one is still clearly better than the other, how would you choose?

PureX

Veteran Member
I still have an urge to vote for Trump just to punish the DNC, like they should be punished.
They won't learn anything from it, just as they didn't learn anything from it last time. The democrats are only there to provide an illusion of choice, and to hold down the fort while the plutocrats and their republican stooges regroup for another all-out assault on democracy, and on the nation's coffers.

Tambourine

Yea, voting is a very poor tool of communication.
I believe that if your want your political system to change substantially, you need to look beyond electorialism.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Tell that to what's left of the Iraqi people.
The invasion of Iraq was an extremely bad idea of Republican president George Dubya Bush, (although, if we believe him, supported by Jesus) starting with the total faking of a WMD scare, and remains the root cause of middle-Eastern and Libyan instability and a major factor in Europe's terrorist and refugee crisis to this day. All that and Trump too! I don't know how Republicans dare show their faces in public.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
So, we now have settleforbiden.org seeking to operate on the left flank of the campaign. Welcome! But it's hard to read

Joe Biden will restore the United States’ place in the world.

and take their professed leftist credentials seriously. The international counterpart of John Lewis' "Good Trouble" is not Obama-Clinton "Good Imperialism."

I guess it's a targeted message aimed at people who may not support Biden's policies (I'd be one, to some extent, were I American) to support Biden in the election.
The part I always struggle with in US politics is whether this would motivate additional people on the left to actually vote. Because if they're already voting (which I always would, for example) then they're almost certainly already voting Biden. And if they're not voting, how much does this sort of approach change that? If they become mouthpieces saying 'Well, Biden's better than Trump, I guess...' it really has no impact, right?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The USA lost what little prestige and respect it still had 3 1/2 years ago, I don't think that's coming back, even with Biden.

Taking the personalities out of it, I think it's entirely possible for the USA to regain international prestige and respect. Countries like Japan and Germany have recovered from far worse international reputations in a relatively speedy fashion. International reputations are based on a lot of pragmatic things, to be honest. Trade agreements are more impactful than history from the previous President to a degree.

Ultimately the juggling act in my opinion will be around how much of a focus on international prestige and respect needs to be balanced against domestic issues and perceptions.