• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Muslim? Gospel

Ilisrum

First off... I've never read the Gospel of Barnabas in its entirety:sad:...
But I've done a bit of research on the text. It contradicts the Qur'an and Islamic tradition on so many levels. On top of this, there are dozens of historical inaccuracies in the text. I'm curious why any orthodox Muslim would appeal to this as an authority when it appears highly unorthodox standing next to the Qur'an and Hadith. What was the author's intention in writing an account of Christ's life that is heretical to both the traditional Christian and Islamic faiths?

P.S. I just ordered it off of Amazon after putting it off for 2 years.:cover: I'll have a better understanding of the text in a couple of days.

ConfusedKuri

I have never heard of it, nor am I familiar with it's importance within the Islamic world. I've just googled and some really seem to support it, which I find weird as according to mainstream Islamic view the original Injeel is lost and the current NT heavily changed.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Well Kuri Barnabas is a Gnostic gospel though. The Gnostic gospels were lost and later rediscovered in Egypt. Could what Muslims call the original Injeel be the Gnostic texts?

ConfusedKuri

My knowledge is too limited to answer your questions, I'd have to ask someone who knows more about that specific topic.

Ilisrum

Well Kuri Barnabas is a Gnostic gospel though. The Gnostic gospels were lost and later rediscovered in Egypt. Could what Muslims call the original Injeel be the Gnostic texts?

You may have it confused with something else, but the writing I'm referring to isn't from the Nag Hammadi Library, nor is it to be confused with the Epistle of Barnabas which was considered canonical by some early Christians. The text I'm referring to has been known for centuries through two manuscripts, one in Italian, the other in Spanish, both dating from the 14th-16th centuries. Most scholars believe that Barnabas is a Medieval forgery probably originally composed in Arabic.

Gospel of Barnabas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia's not always the most reliable source but it's information and will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I'm of the personal opinion that the text was written as a historical fiction novel by an unorthodox Muslim living within the Ottoman Empire.

Muffled

Jesus in me
You may have it confused with something else, but the writing I'm referring to isn't from the Nag Hammadi Library, nor is it to be confused with the Epistle of Barnabas which was considered canonical by some early Christians. The text I'm referring to has been known for centuries through two manuscripts, one in Italian, the other in Spanish, both dating from the 14th-16th centuries. Most scholars believe that Barnabas is a Medieval forgery probably originally composed in Arabic.

Gospel of Barnabas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia's not always the most reliable source but it's information and will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I'm of the personal opinion that the text was written as a historical fiction novel by an unorthodox Muslim living within the Ottoman Empire.

So Muslims wrote their own gospel to support their own ignorant views. That is as bad as the Gnostics writing their own gospels to support their ignorant views.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
So Muslims wrote their own gospel to support their own ignorant views. That is as bad as the Gnostics writing their own gospels to support their ignorant views.

Is it any worse than the christians writing their own gospels in a pseudoepigraphic way to support their ignorant views?