• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Music We Listen To.

Ellen Brown

It might be odd, or perhaps more than odd?

In music, I listen to everything from Vide Cor Meum to Queen to ZZ Top to How Great Thou Art, depending...
Tonight it is Vide Cor Meum and that will carry on to other things... Perhaps some Katherine Jenkins, or Charlotte Church before some very mean people tried to ruin her. Years ago, I loved Arab Music and even did some private Belly Dancing until I found out that it is a fertility dance.

I'm feeling quite melancholy and just do not know if the music is a balm, or a torment. So, no drama tonight, just deeply feeling the pain of the losses...

PureX

Veteran Member
It might be odd, or perhaps more than odd?

In music, I listen to everything from Vide Cor Meum to Queen to ZZ Top to How Great Thou Art, depending...
Tonight it is Vide Cor Meum and that will carry on to other things... Perhaps some Katherine Jenkins, or Charlotte Church before some very mean people tried to ruin her. Years ago, I loved Arab Music and even did some private Belly Dancing until I found out that it is a fertility dance.

I'm feeling quite melancholy and just do not know if the music is a balm, or a torment. So, no drama tonight, just deeply feeling the pain of the losses...
I played guitar for many years. Started at 9 years old with lessons and even took classical lessons in the music department in college. But I also became an alcoholic in my teens, and as the disease progressed I became darker, and more pessimistic, and brooding. Finally I hit bottom at 35 and quit drinking. But I also found that I had to give up playing the guitar. It seems I was using it to wallow in the very feelings that I also used as an excuse to drink.

I guess all I'm saying is that music is a powerful form of expression for some of us, and can take us places we ought not to be going. I still love music and listening to it, all kind, but I do have to avoid a certain musical 'meme' that would invite me to wallow in emotions that I can no longer afford to entertain. Live and learn, as they say.

:)

Last edited:

calm

@Ellen Brown
Music can influence a person's soul. Either positively or negatively.
As an example, a few years ago a letter appeared where an insider of the music industry claimed that in 1991 very powerful men who controlled many prisons in the USA appeared and were willing to invest in the then still young genre "Hip Hop". The reason was to motivate the young people to commit more violent acts. The prisons of the United States of America are not state but private. So, more imprisoned equal more profit.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My tastes are classical to hard rock with quite a lot in between. Depends on mood.