1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most reasonable school of thought.

Discussion in 'Seekers Circle' started by Ellen Brown, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Sorry, just trying to sort the NONSENSE
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +859
    Religion:
    I hope there is something out there that is smarter than me.
    Being somewhat overfull from eating Salmon, Pasta, and Veggies, and drinking some beer, <10 oz, I am asking myself what life view makes the most sense to me?

In most belief systems I know of, God comes roaring in and punishes most of us. And, I'm not saying that is false.

The story that interests me the most is that 70,000 years ago, a sentient Alien research team shows up and starts trying to drag humanity out of a non-thriving mode that they've been stuck in for 100,000 years. The story about that, which I have been reading is at times depressing and I get tearful.

If I remember correctly there is a phenomenon called Entropy which implies that all systems tend toward disorder.

In the story, I hope that the guys that have been messing around with humans don't give up. I think that Trump's Entropy is about to do us in.

2. arthra

arthra Baha'i

Ratings:
    +1,585
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    It may be this was a perspective held some time ago.. maybe centuries ago in legend. I'm reminded of a passage:

"God is not partial and is no respecter of persons. He has made provision for all. The harvest comes forth for everyone. The rain showers upon everybody and the heat of the sun is destined to warm everyone. The verdure of the earth is for everyone. Therefore there should be for all humanity the utmost happiness, the utmost comfort, the utmost well-being.
    But if conditions are such that some are happy and comfortable and some in misery; some are accumulating exorbitant wealth and others are in dire want -- under such a system it is impossible for man to be happy and impossible for him to win the good pleasure of God. God is kind to all. The good pleasure of God consists in the welfare of all the individual members of mankind."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Foundations of World Unity, p. 41

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. icehorse

icehorse Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,784
    Religion:
    spiritual anti-theist : )
    Mushroom spores can survive in deep space. I'm fond of the theory that some long time ago, 100,000 years, maybe a million years ago, some magic mushroom spores traveled to earth, landed, grew into shrooms, were eaten by our not-quite-human ancestors, and that sparked us into being humans. Seems like it would be a nice way to spread sentience throughout the universe.

4. sun rise

sun rise "Love pours forth from the heart of the universe."
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,488
    Religion:
    Love
    Those time frames are extremely tiny. I was shocked to learn the really vast timelines thought about in India. How does 155 TRILLION years sound? Much much greater than the life of this universe.

Age of Universe according to Vedas

Also, people are reborn 8,400,000 times as human beings before entering the spiritual path. That's well over 200 million years assuming a 25 year lifespan.

So what's 100,000 years when compared to those numbers?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. stvdv

stvdv Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,830
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    I heard that there are 8,400,000 species on earth. I did not know about the same number for being reborn as humans. My first thought is that we go through all these species, before becoming human (and as a human we are entering the spiritual path).

Do you have a link of this number in relation to being born. Just to check of my thought is correct.

6. PureX

PureX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,911
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    I don't think it matters what God is, or was. We will very likely never know. I think it only matters what we choose to believe about it. Because what we choose to believe about it will reflect who we are as individuals, and who we will become as we continue living our lives.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,918
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    You cite an interesting sounding story and don't tell us its title? I call foul.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BSM1

BSM1 Who's a good boy?

Ratings:
    +6,530
    Religion:
    Buddhistic Panenthetic Jesusonian
    IMHO, I think that a symptom of this Entropy is when people become so delusional that they start believing that one person can bring about bring about--or even represent--the downfall of civilization as we know it. God help us...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Ignorant Heathen Libertarian Capitalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35,303
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    Revoltifarian mythology.....
    Archeologists discover an ancient spacecraft which dates to 100,000 BCE.
    On it is this bumper sticker.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +6,802
    Religion:
    I am an advaitist Hindu and a strong atheist.
    @sun rise , @stvdv , animals also are a part of 'karma cycle', although I do not know how roches will gather merit.

11. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,958
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
  12. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Sorry, just trying to sort the NONSENSE
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +859
    Religion:
    I hope there is something out there that is smarter than me.
    Author is: A.G. Riddle. He has what is now a six book series that begins with "The Atlantis Gene". Good writing, plausible feel to it. Depressing at times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,918
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
  14. Aupmanyav

Ratings:
    +6,802
    Religion:
  15. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,958
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    Moot question for me, because that's not the varety of reincarnation I believe in. But I would imagine it would be because of his kindness to he brother and sister cockroaches.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Aupmanyav

Ratings:
    +6,802
    Religion:
    Yeah. That. Lead his brothers and sisters to where food is available, not to fight to get the first or the best share of food, share things with others, help other when they are in trouble, not to trouble she-cockroaches if they are not in the mood, etc. Generally act like a gentleman. :D

17. BSM1

BSM1 Who's a good boy?

Ratings:
    +6,530
    Religion:
    Buddhistic Panenthetic Jesusonian
    No offense, but it seems someone may have OD'ed on Disney movies...just sayin'.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Aupmanyav

Ratings:
    +6,802
    Religion:
  19. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,918
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    It's not a question of "merit" in the usual sense. It's more like fulfilling your function in the larger whole -- your dharma.

All beings have a place in the vast organism that is life -- call it biosphere, Gaia, ecosphere or whatever. Like a watch, each cog, screw and sprocket contributes to the whole, even if its role isn't immediately apparent.
    Perhaps the escapement wheel is annoyed that the anchor keeps stopping it, but the mechanism as a whole wouldn't work otherwise. You have to look at the big picture.