• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Most Important Thing

If you had to explain to a curious friend only one thing about your religion, the thing that you consider to be the most important aspect of your religion to the exclusion of all else, what would you tell your friend and why? Lets assume that your friend is completely ignorant of your religion and that your friend wants and needs this single piece of advice to live by.

GiantHouseKey

Greetings

If you had to explain to a curious friend only one thing about your religion, the thing that you consider to be the most important aspect of your religion to the exclusion of all else, what would you tell your friend and why? Lets assume that your friend is completely ignorant of your religion and that your friend wants and needs this single piece of advice to live by.

I would have to say believe what feels as though it fits. As cliched as that might sound. My religion isn't really based on any universal truths or aspects of faith. It's a religion in the sense that it requires rules to be followed, although those rules are only really based from the single rule that you must create your own rules. My religion is rather confusing to explain in this way...

I would have to unfortunately say it would be impossible for somebody that was completely ignorant of my religion to live by any one piece of advice that I could give them. If I had to give it a go though, I would probably say that there are 2 most important aspects of my religion. The first is that Aeya exists, and second is that Aeya does not exist.

GhK.

iloveislam

Muslim
I would call them to the proclamation of the Oneness and Uniqueness of God; that is the Islamic statement (Shahadah):

"I testify that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah and I testify that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the Messenger of Allah"

DavyCrocket2003

It might depend on who I am talking to. I feel inclined to say this "The truth is within you. Follow the light and goodness inside your heart and it will lead you to all light."

Fortunato

Honest
I would tell them that one has to analyze many different religions and ask oneself, "What makes this religion truer than the next one?".

Oh, and I would probably also mention the two quotes I have in my signature.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I would direct him to the Upanishads, because the single most important thing in the religion I'm considering adopting is not so clear-cut or summed up in a single verse.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
My first thought was a point of theology, but then you said "advice." So, I'd go with "Figure out what you think is right, then live by it. Fight the good fight, whatever that may mean for you."

Arkholt

Non-vessel
Take action. Use what you have learned, don't just store it in your mind. No reason to sit around and do nothing when you could make something happen.

ayani

that Jesus is the Son of God, that He is risen from the dead and alive now, and that He is Someone whom our Creator wants us to know, and follow. that He can save a peson, and change them completely, forgive them, and give new life. that while we may not be able to reconcile ourselves to God by our own efforts, that God is personally knowable and accessible through His Son, who came down so that we could stop trying so hard to reach "up".

Just_me_Mike

God can not be found, but has to find you.
You may look in many places and think you find God, God can not be found, but has to find you.
You may speak to many and think you found God, but Got can not be found and has to find you.
Anyway you try to find God will never be successful, because God has to find you.
Never quit searching though.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'd tell him that we have a Father in Heaven that knows each one of us personally, loves each of us more than we could possibly comprehend, and has provided a way by which we might return to His presence and live with Him and our family members forever.

Barefoot Bree

Token Aging Flower Child
First post! An appropriate thread, I think.

I would tell them that the details of what they believe are not as important as this simple test:

Does this belief system make me a better person? Does it inspire me to live up to higher ideals of kindness, charity and integrity? Does it help me understand the world and my fellow man better? Does it impel me to see and think beyond my own prejudices, instead of me using it to reinforce them? Does it encourage me to look outside myself and my petty concerns - not only at God (by whatever name), but at the world as a whole?

Will it help me leave this world a better place when my life is done?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Mark 12:30-31 (New International Version)

30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'[a] 31The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[b]There is no commandment greater than these."

I couldn't have said it better myself. GO, JESUS!

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
The most important part of my beliefs, which don't really involve religion, but are the "rules" I've made for myself to live my own life, would probably be to be nice to other people, because when you are mean, it makes other people mad so they are mean too. And if someone is being mean and you keep being nice, it ****** them off, and that's always funny. :D

Also, to just try to live and enjoy life, because it's the only one you get.

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

If you had to explain to a curious friend only one thing about your religion, the thing that you consider to be the most important aspect of your religion to the exclusion of all else, what would you tell your friend and why?

That the goal of the Baha'i Faith is to stress and promote the Oneness of God, the oneness of humanity, and the oneness of all the great religions, because this is indeed the most important thing about the Baha'i Faith!

Best! :)

Bruce

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This life is just a dream; an illusion. You're navigating by instrument.

Be nice. Be kind.