• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Most Important Question of All Time!!!

Which is the better movie series?

• Lord of the Rings

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 16 59.3%

• Total voters

Fluffy

A fool
mmmm You always ask the difficult questions don't you Maize :).

Episode 3 very nearly swings it for Star Wars. It is, in my opinion, amazing. However Star Wars is far from consistent and I have far too many memories of cringing at Jar Jar and creepy teddy bears to forget.

The Lord Of The Rings is just brilliant throughout. My favourite bit in the series is when either Merry or Pippin (I forget which one) is singing as Gondor's army gets wiped out during The Return Of The King. But I'm weird like that :). Hmmmm come to think of it Legolas sliding down the steps on a shield was very nearly a bit too much for me but not quite. Lord of the Rings gets a vote from me

The Black Whirlwind

i read the books and saw the movies, and they were both very good. Lord of the Rings was very good throughout, but the original star wars were very good.

Arkangel

I am Darth Vader
Star wars all the way, but LOR is great too. It was just the big space battles and most of all the teddy bear guys that i love about Star wars. :)

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
LOTR all the way. Star Wars is nice but I like the dark and gritty type of theme that LOTR has. It makes for a very satisfying movie experience with music and visual effects seemlessly intergrated into the movie which is a big improvement from Star War's noticible CG fight scenes.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Maize said:
Which is the better epic movie series, "Star Wars" or "Lord of the Rings"?
Well, here's one to knock your socks off: I saw the first "Star Wars." Period. Didn't like it. :eek: I never saw any of the sequels or prequels. Didn't see the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy either. I'm just not into fantasy at all. I sometimes think I'm the only person on the planet who's not into this stuff. There must be something to it, though. If 500+ eyewitnesses to the resurrection of Jesus Christ can't be wrong, I guess tens of millions of fantasy fans can't be wrong either! :D

Lookingformeaning

STAR WARS, defintely! I couldnt really get into the whole lord of the rings saga...although orlando bloom is pretty hot!!! But my vote goes to star wars. period.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I have to go with Lord of the Rings as well. I love Star Wars, but there's too much difference in the first 3 movies and the last 3. That bothers me. Plsu LOTR has walking and talking trees. :bounce

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
This is absurd; I 'think' I have voted for star wars, I enjoyed The lord of the Rings, but I though the 2nd and 3rd parts were 'drawn out'.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Fluffy said:
The Lord Of The Rings is just brilliant throughout. My favourite bit in the series is when either Merry or Pippin (I forget which one) is singing as Gondor's army gets wiped out during The Return Of The King. But I'm weird like that :).
Pippin! Billy Boyd, the Scottish actor who played him, wrote the musical accompaniment to that part of the score. It never fails to sends chills up my spine. The callousness of Denethor as he's munching away on his chicken while people are being slaughtered... it served as a good reminder that Orcs and goblins aren't the only horrible things in the world.

I grew up loving "Star Wars", and still do. I used to take little plastic fighter jets and pretend they were Luke, Leia and Han. (Yes, I actually used the jets and had them serve as both the star ships and pretended that they were human figures. I had a rather rich fantasy life, growing up. :eek: )

That said, the characters, relationships and setting of "Lord of the Rings" tends to draw me in time and again. I think Peter Jackson and everyone involved took a lot of time to be sure that they included stuff that would not only make it a money-making movie, but one that would reward both new fans and ones that had been Tolkien fans even since the first books came out. (Okay, I know they left a bunch of stuff out, and changed quite a few things. Mainly, though, I think the spirit of the novels remains intact.)

When I went to go see "The Fellowship of the Ring" in the theatre for the third time (along with my mom, since this was her first time seeing it), the seats were entirely empty except for we two and an older woman who was sitting a little ways from us. (The movie was at the end of its run on the big screen, so I was only too happy to see it again.) Since there was some time before the film began, I struck up a conversation with the woman, since she was looking quite nervious. It turned out that she hadn't seen a movie in the theatre in over 50 years. She'd married young, and her husband never wanted to see movies, she said, and she never was able to gather the courage to go by herself. "I love these books so much, though, I just had to come see this one."

I kept worrying about her during the movie. How much have movies changed during the last decade, let alone in five times that amount! It turns out I shouldn't have worried, though, since her reaction was the same as mine. After the movie was over, I went over and hugged her. She'd been crying outright for the last part of the film. "It was so beautiful" she kept saying.

Also, I'm sure this will come as a shock to the majority of RF, but I really like Hobbits.
You can't help but love any being that will go out to save the world but whose only real concern about doing so is possibly missing Second Breakfast.

450hobbits.jpg

I'm going to have to go with Star Wars, because the original Star Wars trilogy was just amazing.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Fluffy

A fool
Pippin! Billy Boyd, the Scottish actor who played him, wrote the musical accompaniment to that part of the score. It never fails to sends chills up my spine. The callousness of Denethor as he's munching away on his chicken while people are being slaughtered... it served as a good reminder that Orcs and goblins aren't the only horrible things in the world.
Yes! Finally someone else who gets that scene :). I share the same chills I assure you :). I didn't realise that Billy wrote the music though as well!

Unedited

A very hard question indeed. I really can't decide. I'll go watch them all and then get back to you. ;)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'd prefer LOTR. Star Wars is good, but I would prefer the fantasy world of Middle Earth over the science fiction worlds.

I kept worrying about her during the movie. How much have movies changed during the last decade, let alone in five times that amount!
After the first time I saw Fellowship, some lady was complaining that the violence is almost as bad as nudity. I didn't think the first one was that violent, and I'm going to bet she didn't see the other two.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Poor Neo-Logic! I understand! The suspense is breath-taking. As Maize put it so wonderfully, it is, indeed, the most important question of our time.

If you don't mind some rather harsh language (meaning not for kids!), there's the opinion of non-RFers over here, with a brutal showdown between whether the best trilogy is "Star Wars," "Lord of the Rings" or "The Matrix."

As an example, the description used for Aragorn's speech to the army of the dead...

Aragorn uses his powers of persuasion to great effect, promising the dead army commander that, if they will risk possible death on behalf of Gondor, he will reward them with death.
Should I worry that that makes perfect sense to me?