• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Most Important Movie

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a hurtful surprise. I had expected a more intellectual response.
Do you want to talk about importance to film or importance to you? Because for a film to be important *to film* it needs to have a timelessness that you dont get by being stuffy or elitist but relatable to people at large.

I love a good think piece as much as anyone, but they rarely stay in the cultural consciousness for long so their impact is often negligable.

Incidentally if you liked Attraction you might also like Arrival, similarly focused on alien contact and cooperation with humanity albeit with a very interesting and linguistically sound communication barrier taking up most of the film time.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Distillation is a good word for it. As in, has all of the minerals, the substance boiled out of it until it becomes a bland, base, one dimensional product. ;)
Also I'd argue Lord of the Rings had a bigger impact on cinema at large, and also was a hero's journey three part epic but with ever so much more meat on its bones.
Made more money too.
The only reason I compare the two is Star Wars has so little to do with fiction about science that you could more accurately describe it as fantasy in space.
You are incorrect. Star Wars is more important than LOTR. It's a scientific fact. LOTR was quite important, too, not to mention enjoyable, Star Wars is simply and objectively the superior film.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Do you want to talk about importance to film or importance to you? Because for a film to be important *to film* it needs to have a timelessness that you dont get by being stuffy or elitist but relatable to people at large.

I love a good think piece as much as anyone, but they rarely stay in the cultural consciousness for long so their impact is often negligable.

Incidentally if you liked Attraction you might also like Arrival, similarly focused on alien contact and cooperation with humanity albeit with a very interesting and linguistically sound communication barrier taking up most of the film time.
Arrival was quite good, certainly conceptually interesting, but again, nowhere near the equal of Star Wars, and I say that with Amy Adams as one of my three "celebrity freebies". Now, had Amy Adams had a lightsabre, you might have a bit more to work with Arrival-wise

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Ahh I see that the Trek vs Wars fight popped up immediately. Almost too predictable lol

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Distillation is a good word for it. As in, has all of the minerals, the substance boiled out of it until it becomes a bland, base, one dimensional product. ;)
Also I'd argue Lord of the Rings had a bigger impact on cinema at large, and also was a hero's journey three part epic but with ever so much more meat on its bones.
Made more money too.
The only reason I compare the two is Star Wars has so little to do with fiction about science that you could more accurately describe it as fantasy in space.

So much more meat on its bones ?
I would have to disagree on that part.
Lord of the rings had a great scenario but that's it.

You have this one old and powerful wizard who... decides to use a sword, rather than magic, in one of the most important moments of his life for absolutely no good reason.
You get to follow the story of these two young lads with a powerful artifact that allows them to go invisible. But they are never really able to properly use it.
Both of those were extremely disappointing to me. Just to mention a couple.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
They like wild animals.
Might want to domesticate them.
Serve us, perhaps?

At least that would be practical reasons. I'm a big sci-fi fan but many years ago I realized that any advanced sentient race could probably create another, better race than waste time on saving the human race for altruistic reasons.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
...is Star Wars, yes, I know. Now what was that about Star Trek?

It was a poke fun. I can't explain it online.

Post 1. What's your favorite movie
2. star wars
3. ((No) star trek

If you follow the line of conversation you can see the context without the explanation. It's harder to do online unless that person can pick up the pattern.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
At least that would be practical reasons. I'm a big sci-fi fan but many years ago I realized that any advanced sentient race could probably create another, better race than waste time on saving the human race for altruistic reasons.
I was hinting at culinary.

Duke_Leto

I have just seen a Sci Fi movie, "Attraction" with Russian Actor oleg menshikov. It is extremely meaningful and will teach the intelligent something. The Videography. I saw it first in Russian, and just saw it in English. I praise the efforts of those who took part in making it and those who took part in the translation.

It was a bit difficult to dig out of the clutter on YouTube, so perhaps now that I and a few others have done it the task will be easier?

I read somewhere that a sequel is planned where the Aliens return to help us not go extinct.

I haven’t heard of this movie. I’ll watch it based on your recommendation and get back to you what I think. Is there anything you’d like to talk about before I watch it, or do you think I should go in with a blank slate?

And I’m sorry for the people who are derailing the thread.

Ellen Brown

Made more money too.

"Attraction" is so much more intellectually centered. It was refreshing to see Russians portraying themselves as mindful of the fate of humanity.

Ellen Brown

I haven’t heard of this movie. I’ll watch it based on your recommendation and get back to you what I think. Is there anything you’d like to talk about before I watch it, or do you think I should go in with a blank slate?

And I’m sorry for the people who are derailing the thread.

No. I do hope that you enjoy it.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
"Fight" implies some level of competition or parity, and is therefore utterly inappropriate to use in this context.
Oh Trek isn't THAT bad. Granted the only thing I know about it is Kirk is basically an intergalactic Zeus. Though thankfully less rapey. And Picard apparently likes Shakespeare. Stargate SG1 is my Trek.
Besides neither holds a candle to Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the books.)