• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Mormons are coming"

jonny

This was a really interesting review of the book "People of Paradox: A History of Mormon Culture" by Terryl Givens.

Here's a couple interesting paragraphs from the review:

I couldn't have known this at the time, and I doubt the Mormons in our town knew it either, but the faith founded in 1830 by Joseph Smith -- who claimed direct and personal contact with God, Jesus, the Holy Ghost, John the Baptist and various angels -- was even then undergoing a dramatic transformation. As Givens discusses in his fascinating new book "People of Paradox," Mormonism has always been seen as a quintessentially American phenomenon, born out of the visionary religiosity of the Second Great Awakening and the fervent individualism of Jacksonian democracy.

At the same time, thanks to its peculiar history of both persecution and self-exile, the LDS church has long been associated with the outer margins of American life. For most of its existence, a large proportion of its adherents have been low-income, low-status rural whites in Utah and other isolated regions of the Far West. If the stereotype of Mormons as polygamous deviants had faded by the '70s, the counter-stereotype -- Mormons as unbearably wholesome, awkward and naive family-values Americans, à la the Osmonds, or for that matter the Romneys -- endures to this day.

As he admits, the question of whether Latter-day Saints can be considered Christians does not yield a universally acceptable or historically obvious answer, no matter what Mormons may claim. You might say that the answer depends on who is asking the question, and when. Throughout their church's relatively brief history, Mormons have been torn between a desire to separate themselves from other Christians and other Americans and a desire to assimilate and be accepted. The "dynamic tension" that Givens detects between these poles runs like an electrical current through all the other paradoxes and contradictions that he believes define Mormon culture.

Toward the other end of his short life, which ended with his "martyrdom" at the hands of an Illinois lynch mob in 1844, Smith began to formulate the most infamous theological ideas in Mormonism. These are many and various (they include the covenant of "celestial plural marriage," for example), but for sheer heresy nothing outdoes Smith's pronouncement that God did not create man from nothing, since God and man are eternal and coexistent spiritual entities. God is himself a perfected form of man, Smith taught; in fact, God used to be human, and after long ages of exaltation in the afterlife, men can become gods. As Givens observes, "It would be hard to conceive an idea ... more outrageous to Christian dogma, and more hostile to the very cosmology underlying a conventionally theistic universe."

Smith's theological vision, Givens notes, violates the traditional Judeo-Christian distinction between everyday experience and the sacred or transcendent sphere. If God, angels and human beings "are all of one species, one race, one great family," in the words of early Mormon philosopher Parley P. Pratt -- and if these entities appeared numerous times, in tangible, physical form, to a backwoods boy in 19th-century America -- then "the sacred distance at the heart of Western religious experience comes near to collapsing."

This particular sacrilege against conventional dogma is both the source of Mormonism's unique appeal and what makes it such a threat to older, more established denominations: If miracles and divine visitations came routinely to the Hebrews of the Old Testament, Smith demanded, why shouldn't they come to us? In recent decades, many evangelical Protestants and some Roman Catholics have warmed to the possibility of modern-day miracles and personal communication with the deity (over and above inherently private and subjective religious experiences, like visions and prayer). To some Mormons, this is evidence that their restored gospel is working its magic.

Another of Givens' conundrums is that Mormons belong to the most hierarchical and authoritarian church this side of the Vatican, yet one that also has "fanatically individualistic" qualities; every Mormon, after all, is "vouchsafed the right to personal, literal, dialogic revelation with God." Mormons employ an epistemological certainty that may sound like the language of evangelical Protestantism -- "I know Joseph Smith is a prophet of God" -- but Smith's theology offers no "born again" moment of certain salvation. Exaltation and godlike perfection lie eons in the future, at the end of a long and difficult road of spiritual and intellectual learning.

Virtually alone among Abrahamic theologies, Mormon scripture interprets the fall of Adam and Eve as a providential act: "If Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the garden of Eden ... And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin."

Givens observes that in one stroke Smith cut through a problem that has troubled Talmudic and biblical scholars since the dawn of the Judeo-Christian tradition: Why did an all-knowing and all-powerful God allow his children to fall from grace? At the same time, in doing so Smith launched a morally simplistic, eternally optimistic theological tradition without much room for anxiety, tragedy or doubt. Mormonism has no need for the poetry of Milton or the philosophy of Augustine.

Anyway, you get the jist of it. There's lots more interesting stuff and this looks like a book I might read.

http://www.salon.com/books/review/2007/09/20/mormons/

SoyLeche

meh...
This was a really interesting review of the book "People of Paradox: A History of Mormon Culture" by Terryl Givens.

Here's a couple interesting paragraphs from the review:

Anyway, you get the jist of it. There's lots more interesting stuff and this looks like a book I might read.

http://www.salon.com/books/review/2007/09/20/mormons/
It does sound interesting. Have you read any of his other books? So far I've only read "By the Hand of Mormon", but it was excellent.

As I've mentioned before, I've met Terryl on one occasion. He used to be the bishop of the ward I was in in Richmond, but he had moved out before I moved in. His son was still attending our ward, and I sat next to him (the son) on the stand one Sunday when we were both giving talks. Terryl spoke at a Stake dinner/fireside type thing and I talked to him afterwards. His brother lives here in Lynchburg.

Anyway, you can go ahead and tell people that you have two degrees of separation from him now :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Some of the concepts described in this book sound as if they might be of interest to Doppelganger -- on a strictly intellectual level only, of course. ;)

I've got so many unread books on my bookshelf right now that it's going to be awhile before I get to this one. But it's on my list.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hehe. You know I think highly of the LDS. In fact, if I was to remain a Christian I would sincerely look into your church. I'm not sure you guys could handle a feral chimp though.
:D I'd trade two or three of our LDS posters in on a feral chimp any day. :D

SoyLeche

meh...
You leave, and I'll haunt you for the rest of your life.
You couldn't even find me when I try to set up a lunch :) What makes you think you could find me in the middle of the Appalachians (apparently pronounced Apple-a-shuns, who knew :shrug: )?