• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mormons are being sued for doing the right thing:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'd be happy to! ;)

But by this standard, a cup of coffee with breakfast or a glass of Chianti with lasagna means a person isn't a true Mormon.
By the same standard, there isn't a "true Mormon" on the face of the earth. There is not a Mormon alive who lives as good a life as we would all like to. Some are more obedient and faithful to God's laws than others, but if you have to be without sin to be a "true Mormon," the membership of the Church just dropped from 16.3 million to zero.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'd be happy to! ;)

By the same standard, there isn't a "true Mormon" on the face of the earth. There is not a Mormon alive who lives as good a life as we would all like to. Some are more obedient and faithful to God's laws than others, but if you have to be without sin to be a "true Mormon," the membership of the Church just dropped from 16.3 million to zero.
Curiously though,
you're correcting me and not @Thanda , while agreeing with me and not Thanda.

Religious people can be very difficult to understand.
Tom

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Curiously though,
you're correcting me and not @Thanda , while agreeing with me and not Thanda.

Religious people can be very difficult to understand.
Tom
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I think you're both wrong, and for the very same reason. :cool: One isn't a "true Mormon" because he's 100% obedient to all of God's commandments as interpreted by the Church. If that were the requirement, I could not claim to be a true Mormon and neither could Thanda. The same could be said for Christians in general. When it gets right down to it, the same could be said for the adherents to the various political parties, hence, the emergence of terms such as "RINO." If a person isn't 100% on board with what someone else thinks believes Republicans must stand for, he's a Republican-in-name-only. That's pretty lame, IMO. We all have differences of opinion and we all have different standards. Some Mormons might say I'm not a "true Mormon" because I am such a strong supporter of LGBT rights. My former LDS bishop (men only serve as bishop for five years, and he is not my current bishop), however, would disagree with them as he was fully supportive of my position.

Last edited:

Thanda

I'd be happy to! ;)

I did not notice your comment before. Would you not agree Katspur, that the temple interview questions of the Church do not require perfection but merely require that one is maintaining a certain minimum standard?

Thanda

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I think you're both wrong, and for the very same reason. :cool: One isn't a "true Mormon" because he's 100% obedient to all of God's commandments as interpreted by the Church. If that were the requirement, I could not claim to be a true Mormon and neither could Thanda. The same could be said for Christians in general. When it gets right down to it, the same could be said for the adherents to the various political parties, hence, the emergence of terms such as "RINO." If a person isn't 100% on board with what someone else thinks believes Republicans must stand for, he's a Republican-in-name-only. That's pretty lame, IMO. We all have differences of opinion and we all have different standards. Some Mormons might say I'm not a "true Mormon" because I am such a strong supporter of LGBT rights. My former LDS bishop (men only serve as bishop for five years, and he is not my current bishop), however, would disagree with them as he was fully supportive of my position.

My only gripe with this otherwise very reasonable argument is that the standard I proposed for a true mormon (and let me remind everyone that by true I mean faithful, not authentic. Everyone who is a member of the church is an authentic mormon) is not some arbitrary standard but is literally the standard that is read out to members everytime they are interviewed to enter the mormon temples. And there are thousands or tens of thousands of people that can and do truly measure up to those questions. Because worthiness to enter the temples and perfection are two very different things

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I did not notice your comment before. Would you not agree Katspur, that the temple interview questions of the Church do not require perfection but merely require that one is maintaining a certain minimum standard?
Yes, I would definitely agree with that statement. Sorry if I misinterpreted something.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
My only gripe with this otherwise very reasonable argument is that the standard I proposed for a true mormon (and let me remind everyone that by true I mean faithful, not authentic. Everyone who is a member of the church is an authentic mormon) is not some arbitrary standard but is literally the standard that is read out to members everytime they are interviewed to enter the mormon temples. And there are thousands or tens of thousands of people that can and do truly measure up to those questions. Because worthiness to enter the temples and perfection are two very different things
Gotcha. Agreed. I was thinking of "true" as meaning "authentic" and that's evidently not what you meant.

SoyLeche

meh...
I think it depends on the meaning of the word "true"

no, I think the purpose behind the argument is more of a factor than the choice of words. If one is trying to insulate the members of a group from the actions of another member, the fallacy is probably being used.

Thanda

no, I think the purpose behind the argument is more of a factor than the choice of words. If one is trying to insulate the members of a group from the actions of another member, the fallacy is probably being used.

Well, I will leave you to judge what whether or not my argument meets the criteria

Watchmen

Premium Member
Mormons face $9.5 million lawsuit after reporting an abusive father

The wife of a man that sexually molested his daughter, and yes he has been found guilty and is in prison so no need of the term "allegedly". is suing the church for $9.5 million. She lists herself and four of their five children (the daughter that was molested is not listed) as plaintiffs. He went to a panel of elders of his church and confessed, hoping for forgiveness and absolution. It did not quite work out that way.
Don’t be fooled. While the Mormon Church did the right thing this time, there is a plethora of examples of them doing the wrong thing when it comes to abuse issues. I hope the “right thing” becomes more common.