• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mormons are being sued for doing the right thing:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Perfect answer. This post probably won't, but should, lay the matter to rest.

Either that, or maybe both of them were crazy like a fox (or "stupid like a fox," as Homer Simpson might say). Man molests his daughter. Wife learns of the abuse and confronts him. Both know what this means and what's going to result from his confession. He'll end up in jail. She can sue for $9 million. He'll serve out his term. Daughter will be safe while he's incarcerated and will be grown and out of the house by the time he gets out. Husband and wife will have a nice retirement income.
It also tells us that this lawsuit does not have much of a chance. It is foolish to expect the Mormons to follow the same flawed model that is used by the Catholics.

SoyLeche

meh...
Let me get this strait; she's suing the church because it refused to aid and abide the rape of her own daughter?

What a horrid, wretched ****.
I think she's actually suing because the local leaders didn't tell her husband that they would refuse to aid and abed the rape of her daughter.

Still a pretty horrid person though.

dianaiad

I think she's actually suing because the local leaders didn't tell her husband that they would refuse to aid and abed the rape of her daughter.

Still a pretty horrid person though.

As every LDS here has mentioned, there is no excuse for the husband not to have known this. It's very standard church policy, easily found, and every priesthood holder (that's pretty much every male above the age of 12) is told. We aren't the police, and we aren't talking about Miranda rights.

PruePhillip

I was being more than a little snarky.
But the fact remains that religious folks commonly claim that members of their religious communities weren't true "whatever" when their community members get caught out doing ugly things.
Tom

Happened to one of Jesus' own disciples. Yes, it can be an excuse, but
it can also be quite true.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Being sued for doing the right thing is normal in Ameristan.
Why? Because there's no cost associated with it.
And the upside is extorting a settlement from a defendant
who wants to avoid attorney fees.
A country run by lawyers for lawyers.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The most litigious society in the history of the world.

Shakespeare had it right: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers!" (Henry VI, Part 2)
The judges (former lawyers) are the ringleaders.
They need Harkonen style heartplugs installed.
When caught allowing meritless cases to proceed,
or otherwise driving up costs unnecessarily, give
their plug a yoink, & let the red red kroovy flow.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
As every LDS here has mentioned, there is no excuse for the husband not to have known this. It's very standard church policy, easily found, and every priesthood holder (that's pretty much every male above the age of 12) is told. We aren't the police, and we aren't talking about Miranda rights.
My question is still, "Is this the best policy? Is making the bishops a law enforcement agency the best way to deal with such crimes?"

I'm not convinced it is.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Reporting a crime is not law enforcement.
Requiring someone to do so is.

I totally understand why most people should be expected to report such crimes. But I am not convinced that requiring everyone to do so will result in less such crimes. If the main result is perps not talking to anybody, I don't see the improvement.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The LDS policy is a much better policy that the Catholic policy.
Even if it results in more child abuse?

No.
Which is why I am glad the LDS do not have such a policy.
Yes they do. Apparently.

My only question is, "Which will work out better for children in the long run. A place that a perp can talk freely and get advice and admonition, or no such place.?"

I'm not at all sure that the second option is the best.
Tom

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Requiring someone to do so is.

I totally understand why most people should be expected to report such crimes. But I am not convinced that requiring everyone to do so will result in less such crimes. If the main result is perps not talking to anybody, I don't see the improvement.
Tom

Not really, but where are they required to report crimes? Also it could be argued that not reporting crimes makes them an accomplice if more crimes occur.

Why does the Mormon church doing the right thing bother you so much?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I think that you have that backwards.

Yes they do. Apparently.

My only question is, "Which will work out better for children in the long run. A place that a perp can talk freely and get advice and admonition, or no such place.?"

Tom

Sorry, but paying for one's crimes is often part of "getting help". Your question is a bit contrived.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So, explain to me.
Eliminating the one place a perp can go for admonition, advice, and help will reduce abuse, How?

How is that going to help any abused kids?
Tom
It is not "eliminated". That is an improper assumption. You need to qualify your statement a bit better.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
And how exactly does keeping it a secret and allowing it to continue result in less child abuse?

Yes they do. Apparently.
Please post the LDS policy of not reporting crimes.

I refer you to the way the Catholic church kept it in house and silent and merely shuffled the pedophile priests around, effectively giving them fresh meat every now then.
That worked out so much better for the children, right?

Tom
For me personally, the Catholics record of slapping the wrists of pedophiles should be enough to show that admonition is not any sort of deterrent.

Who is it exactly you are looking to protect?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It is not "eliminated". That is an improper assumption. You need to qualify your statement a bit better.
What I mean by eliminated is it will cease to exist.
Nobody can talk to a bishop in confidence. The bishops aren't allowed to talk to anybody in confidence.

In a better world, the line between criminal and irresponsible behavior would be clear and bright. Behavior that must be kept secret, and that which is better brought out into the open(at least in a limited way).

If people like this guy just avoid bishops and telling them anything, will that result in less crimes? You seem to think so.
I'm not so confident.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
And how exactly does keeping it a secret and allowing it to continue result in less child abuse?
That's the opposite of what I'm saying.

Making sure it stays secret is likely to result in more abuse.
That's what you're advocating. Making sure that perps don't tell anybody. Not even a bishop.
Tom

Vee

Premium Member
Mormons face $9.5 million lawsuit after reporting an abusive father

The wife of a man that sexually molested his daughter, and yes he has been found guilty and is in prison so no need of the term "allegedly". is suing the church for $9.5 million. She lists herself and four of their five children (the daughter that was molested is not listed) as plaintiffs. He went to a panel of elders of his church and confessed, hoping for forgiveness and absolution. It did not quite work out that way.

According to the article, it was the wife who launched the lawsuit. I find that the most disturbing detail of this story. The elders did the right thing and they should be proud of themselves, however the mother... her daughter was sexually abused by her own father in her own home and she sides with him???