• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The more one gets to know of men, the more one values dogs."

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"The more one gets to know of men, the more one values dogs." -- Alphonse Toussenel (1847)

I cannot say that I have quite got to the point yet I like dogs better than humans, but I have certainly gotten to the point where I sometimes think dogs possess greater intellectual integrity and honesty.

A case in point is the honor and respect that Godwin's law gets in comparison to so many other principles of rhetoric, debate, and/or reasoning that I personally feel are worthy of greater honor and respect.

For instance, it strikes me that about seven or eight times in ten, the person I see invoking Godwin's law is someone who I have seen employ at some time in the past one or more shoddy debate trick, or who I have seen passing along misinformation.

You know, it is so common, so perfectly common to find humans honoring and respecting some small thing while simultaneously dishonoring and disrespecting some great thing.

How often do you yourself come across someone honoring a small thing while disrespecting a great thing?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The reason why people like animals because animals do not have the capacity to argue back at you, even when you're wrong. I think humans deserve a lot more credit than one thinks. Humans, at least some, are willing to sacrifice themselves and other humans for an animal and that says a lot.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And now, in a futile effort to make it up to you for a lousy OP, some music....
I will counter it with a great song, perhaps my most favorite song of all, because I have reached the point where I love dogs more than people.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I find myself judging humanity a little by the surprise I get at work when my analysis of 'what went wrong' includes details on what I did wrong, etc, without including excuses.

Like...apparently I'm supposed to preface any issue I might have caused by positioning why it really wasn't my fault.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The reason why people like animals because animals do not have the capacity to argue back at you,
To me that sounds rather strange, as yes they can argue back (I've known both cats and dogs to both argue and protest), but not only that, there is love and affection shown. It's great, because you are greeted by a friend and family when you get home.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I find myself judging humanity a little by the surprise I get at work when my analysis of 'what went wrong' includes details on what I did wrong, etc, without including excuses.

Like...apparently I'm supposed to preface any issue I might have caused by positioning why it really wasn't my fault.

It would make me wonder what you were up to too.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I hate that. If I had control over something, and I messed up, it's my fault. Don't tell me it's not, don't think I'm being too harsh on myself or beating myself up, I made a mistake, I have no problems owning up to them. I'd rather just be honest with from the start and confuse details and get in over my head.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The secret to liking men (& the lesser genders) is having realistic expectations.
Won't like'm all, but will like many. Not all dogs are great to be around either.
Even @sun rise has been known to bite.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
How often do you yourself come across someone honoring a small thing while disrespecting a great thing?
I am certain that I do so far more often than I myself would admit...

But I am also aware that rhetoric is not about truth or honesty...it is about winning the argument, whichever argument is before you at the moment. Use logos, pathos and ethos, and if you can work in one or more of the rhetorical tricks (sometimes called errors), and it works, then so much the better.

Hence, the poor reputation of politicians, lawyers, advertising and marketing, and public relations experts...and the considerable overlap between those fields...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It would make me wonder what you were up to too.

Just...like...being honest??
I know, you see me dressed this snappily and assume I'm a shark, but beneath these rugged good looks and stylish dress sense is a humble Aussie with an amazing sense of humour.

Oh, and lots of truthiness.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

well, yes, CYA is expected in any organization...

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Just...like...being honest??
I know, you see me dressed this snappily and assume I'm a shark, but beneath these rugged good looks and stylish dress sense is a humble Aussie with an amazing sense of humour.

Oh, and lots of truthiness.

Truthiness is subjectish.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The secret to liking men (& the lesser genders) is having realistic expectations.
Won't like'm all, but will like many. Not all dogs are great to be around either.
Even @sun rise has been known to bite.

This is a good point. My dad gave me some great advice on friends.
'Dont have any, they'll let you down.'

Of course, he neglected to mention they'll help you too. Or that people are not all the same. Or that having someone to laugh with is worth them occasionally pissing on your table leg.

Err...some of that relates more when your friend is a dog, but same basic consideration.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I hate that. If I had control over something, and I messed up, it's my fault. Don't tell me it's not, don't think I'm being too harsh on myself or beating myself up, I made a mistake, I have no problems owning up to them. I'd rather just be honest with from the start and confuse details and get in over my head.

Hmm...want a job?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is a good point. My dad gave me some great advice on friends.
'Dont have any, they'll let you down.'

Of course, he neglected to mention they'll help you too. Or that people are not all the same. Or that having someone to laugh with is worth them occasionally pissing on your table leg.

Err...some of that relates more when your friend is a dog, but same basic consideration.
I'm a slow learner, but I expect to be let down.
Example...
Now when I lend money to a friend, the borrower must pay
a title company to draw up the documents for the loan &
pledged security. Anything less is to court default & loss
of the friend.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a slow learner, but I expect to be let down.
Example...
Now when I lend money to a friend, the borrower must pay
a title company to draw up the documents for the loan &
pledged security. Anything less is to court default & loss
of the friend.

I went the other way. I treat all small loans as gifts. Major loans are a rarity, although I've tried to loan my sister and one particular friend money, only to be rejected because they wanted to work things out themselves.

Your way is smart.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
To me that sounds rather strange, as yes they can argue back (I've known both cats and dogs to both argue and protest),

Your brain thinks it does because of their response that you think they're doing out of protest but we truly, and really don't know.

but not only that, there is love and affection shown.

Because you provide food and shelter, no different than some humans who truly appreciate your kindness.

because you are greeted by a friend and family when you get home.

Indeed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I went the other way. I treat all small loans as gifts. Major loans are a rarity, although I've tried to loan my sister and one particular friend money, only to be rejected because they wanted to work things out themselves.

Your way is smart.
I've been burned...badly. But I finally learned.
Now I'm sort of in the construction loan business.
It's hard to get those loans from banks, so there's
an opportunity to really exploit me friends.
And they're thrilled to be gouged by me because
they profit too.