• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Misrepresentation of Sam Harris's Words by Some of His Critics

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think its disgusting when people use there own religion or beliefs to belittle and ridicule other people with different beliefs, Sam Harris is a Buddhist bigot like many others I find on Buddhist forums, terrible things to say about Christianity, even worse things to say about Islam, ridiculing Hindu beliefs in a soul or Atman. This is so infantile and childish, just because other people have different religious views doesn't give you the right to ridicule them just because they're different from you, its like they're so focused on the splinter in their adversaries eye, they are not aware of the mote in their own eye.
You don't think critical thinking and challenges made in opposition should never occur because it might come across some people as a form of bigotry or hate?

I personally don't agree with Sam Harris on all points, but there are some valid aspects that need to be put forward regardless if it is being labeled bigotry or not.

@Altfish made very good points on post #6 as an example.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
One thing I like about Sam Harris is even if you don't agree with him, his positions and arguments are very well thought out and researched, and you're going to have to put some effort into your own legitimate rebuttal against him.
This is the impression I have gotten as well.

I don't pay much attention to celebrity opinions. Just because someone is media savvy doesn't mean that they know what they are talking about. What I know of Harris is entirely from clips people have posted, both people who love him and hate him. What I have found is that he is formidably well informed and perfectly willing to express hard edged opinions based on that information. Agree or disagree, he knows what he is talking about and can back up his opinions with quotes and statistics and all manner of evidence.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What I have found is that he is formidably well informed and perfectly willing to express hard edged opinions based on that information.
I think that's the best summary of his debates I've ever read. "Formidably well informed" is an excellent adjective for his positions he debates.
I don't pay much attention to celebrity opinions.
I think it's sad he's not considered a "bigger" celebrity, and that he isn't informing more masses like all the bs pop-politic spinning media personality. He doesn't rot people's brains like Vin Diesel. He exercises, challenges, and strengthens them.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
From what I understand, Zen doesn't even teach the 8fold path, or the 4 Noble truths
And you would be wrong. Zen Buddhism was primarily meant for ascetics who had already perfected the eightfold path and other behavioral paraphernalia and were ready and focused on gaining enlightenment through right concentration. Zen meditation is focused on that.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Here is a complete article by Mr. Harris on Trump's Muslim ban. Please identify the supposed bigotry.

A Few Thoughts on the “Muslim Ban”

2. I think Trump’s “Muslim ban” is a terrible policy. Not only is it unethical with respect to the plight of refugees, it is bound to be ineffective in stopping the spread of Islamism. As many have pointed out, it is also internally inconsistent: It doesn’t include Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, or Lebanon, any of which has been a more fertile source of jihadist terrorism than several of the countries Trump named.

4. It is perfectly possible—and increasingly necessary—to speak about the ideological roots of Islamism and jihadism, and even about the unique need for reform within mainstream Islam itself, without lapsing into bigotry or disregarding the suffering of refugees. Indeed, when one understands the problem for what it is, one realizes that secular Muslims, liberal Muslims, and former Muslims are among the most desirable allies to have in the West—and, indeed, such people are the primary victims of Islamist intolerance and jihadist terror in Muslim-majority countries.

5. If liberals who refuse to speak honestly on these topics continue to march with Islamists, denigrate free speech, and oppose the work of the real reformers in the Muslim community, they will only further provoke and empower Trump. And Trump, in turn, will empower Islamists the world over by threatening the civil liberties of all Muslims within his reach.

I consider this to be a reasonable position to hold.