1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured The Miracle of Water.

Discussion in 'Science and Religion' started by Deeje, Oct 22, 2018.

1. tas8831

tas8831 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,066
    "Do as Jehovah says, not as He does."

Hosea 13:16

Totally cool, cuz Jehovah said to do it.

2. SkepticThinker

SkepticThinker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,846
    Of course I will, because you have nothing to offer other than unsubstantiated claims and bluster.
    Notice here again, how you didn't even bother trying to respond to the content of my post.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about scientific knowledge and advancement which has nothing to do with any god(s).

Not to mention, yet again, that many religious-minded people accept evolution. They also accept germ theory and gravitational theory, despite the fact that the explanations for those phenomena don't include god either. Do you accept germ theory and gravitational theory, even though they make no assertions about gods?

Our species has been on the brink of extinction in the past, long before our advancements in science allowed us to live longer and healthier lives than ever before in our history with all kinds of amazing luxuries than enhance our lives, that our ancestors couldn't have even wrapped their minds around.

Medicines have saved countless lives. Give me a break.

Yeah, yeah. The end is coming soon, believe what I believe or else you'll be sorry ... blah, blah. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

I love how you just ignored everything I said and decided instead to go on one of your rants filled with repeats of the same arguments you've been trying since day 1, as though I haven't already rebutted them several times over. That's great and it's quite telling.

3. SkepticThinker

SkepticThinker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,846
    Yes, you've said that several times, but your words are empty when your views are actually explored in depth.

You don't accept the sciences that contribute to evolutionary theory. Those include, biology, molecular biology, geology, ecology, paleontology, zoology, botany, paleobotany, oceanography, anatomy, biogeography, to name a few.

The fetus is already aborted anyway. What right do you have to tell someone can't donate their fetus to science? Would you tell someone they're not allowed to donate a kidney, because you don't like it?

Boy, you have a conspiracy theory for everything, don't you?

Right, right. You just say that science is BS over and over.

Sounds like projection to me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tas8831

Ratings:
    +2,066
    Forget your spectacles, pops?

I wrote:

"middle eastern cult"

No - but how does a fetus "rebel", simple sam?

How would a fetus do any of that, Mr.Wizard?

5. sealchan

sealchan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,650
    Religion:
    Christian
    Water doesnt take sides (on the pH scale) and is generally known to be wishy-washy. It keeps us cool on a warm day (swimming pool) and shuts out the bitter Arctic winds (igloo). Purposeful design? Or just middle of the road nature?

6. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,263
    Religion:
    Christian JW

LOL...I don't believe nature is ever "middle of the road".....its ingenious....like its designer. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. TagliatelliMonster

TagliatelliMonster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,250
    Religion:
    Atheist
    You're like a frog overlooking a random pond, saying to his frog neighbour: "Look how perfect this pond is for us to live. It's ingenious. A miracle even. Praise the pond designer!"

It's just teleological fallacious nonsense.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ecco

ecco Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,979
    Religion:
    atheist
    Four minutes and twenty seconds of OK sciency stuff. Then eight seconds JW. It's kind of like a TV show. Twenty minutes in comes the "and now a word from our sponsor". I do wonder about the purpose of the video.

9. ecco

ecco Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,979
    Religion:
    atheist
    Your belief, on the other hand, is that an Omni-All Entity just popped into existence by undirected chance. It's mind blowing.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ecco

ecco Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,979
    Religion:
    atheist
    Without oxygen there is no water.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ecco

ecco Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,979
    Religion:
    atheist
    Far fewer flukes than those that led to YOUR existence.

12. tas8831

Ratings:
    +2,066
    But he - and they all - just keep on keeping on, hoping, I suppose, that their deity will look favorably upon their desperation and willingness to make fools of themselves.

13. sooda

sooda Veteran Member
    It's My Birthday!

Ratings:
    +3,305
    Religion:
    Christian
    Water is vital to human life and is especially understood to be so in the Middle East.

In fact, Sharia means "the well worn path to life giving water".

14. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +573
    Religion:
    agnostic
    Hydrogen is the first and oxygen the third most abundant elements in the universe. Water or ice is all over the place in the universe. Hardly a fluke.

• Like Like x 3
  15. tas8831

Ratings:
    +2,066
    Even on the moon... and Mars... and Enceladus...and.....

16. tas8831

Ratings:
    +2,066
    The one that designed the female hyena's pseudopenis?

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,263
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    LOL....no, water and all the molecules that make up matter in its many forms, just figured it out for themselves. They just thought it would a good idea to get together and have a creation party :)
    ....what clever little molecules...and they don't even have a brain. :shrug:

18. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,263
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    Nature clearly demonstrates genius....rationally, genius is the result of intelligence....intelligence needs a mind....and a mind can design things that are ingenious. The mind has to have a vehicle...why can't that vehicle be God?

What we need to get rid of, is the notion that God is some kind of big wizard in the sky, proofing things into existence. This is not the way the Bible portrays him at all.

Because he is a powerful living lifeform who is outside of an earthbound human's experience, we tend to want to place him in the realm of fantasy, but what if all we need to do is understand that such a powerful Creator exists and that we are a product of his creative abilities? If he is the all powerful Creator of all things, and creation is an important project for him, then he has the right to tell us how to live the life he's given us.....doesn't he? We have a purpose here in the big scheme of things.

Can we imagine his reaction when confronting puny humans who think that they are too intelligent to believe in him, and who think that they can manage their life here without him? Look at how we are mismanaging our lives here and how we are polluting and destroying everything on this planet!

Can we see, as the Bible indicates, that God has stepped out of the picture to allow these "grasshoppers" to prove to themselves how much they need him? (Isaiah 40:22) How intelligent are we really?

The big picture is pretty amazing when you understand it.

19. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +573
    Religion:
    agnostic
    Learn something:

In chemistry, a hydrogen bond is a type of attractive intermolecular force that exists between two partial electric charges of opposite polarity. Although stronger than most other intermolecular forces, the hydrogen bond is much weaker than both the ionic bond and the covalent bond. Within macromolecules such as proteins and nucleic acids, it can exist between two parts of the same molecule, and figures as an important constraint on such molecules' overall shape.

As the name "hydrogen bond" implies, one part of the bond involves a hydrogen atom. The hydrogen must be attached to a strongly electronegative heteroatom, such as oxygen, nitrogen or fluorine, which is called the hydrogen-bond donor.

What are hydrogen bonds?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,263
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    OK....my questions would be....

Who created chemistry? Where do the principles or laws of chemistry that are known to science, originate?

Where do electric charges come from? Why is there polarity?

Why are there hydrogen bonds? Ionic bonds? Covalent bonds?

Who created intermolecular forces? Proteins? Nulceic acid?

Who created the molecules that make up everything on this planet? Did they just appear out of nowhere?
    Where did matter come from?

Who created the attraction necessary for anything to bond? Who created the laws of attraction? Did they too just come out of nowhere?

If the "the hydrogen must be attached to a strongly electronegative heteroatom," then who determined that ?

Those who study the various branches of science, if they want to retain any credibility, must of necessity ignore the most basic question of life.....who created what science studies?
    You know how mechanisms work but not who invented them.

Perhaps you need "learn something"? :D