• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mind of God

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Has anyone else read "The Mind of God" by Paul Davies?

I am reading it and it is most thought-provoking.

Asks some fascinating questions!

Here's one review -

Mind of God

Cheers!

Cobol

Code Jockey
The mind's existence ends when the brain stops functioning. The brain can live without a mind, but the mind can't live without a brain.

If i believed in god, i would think god wouldn't have a mind, since it takes a physical brain to have a mind. Wouldn't god be more like a computer? He knows things, but has never experienced the events that we take for granted. God would be missing the experiences that result from living a life.

The mind's existence ends when the brain stops functioning. The brain can live without a mind, but the mind can't live without a brain.

If i believed in god, i would think god wouldn't have a mind, since it takes a physical brain to have a mind. Wouldn't god be more like a computer? He knows things, but has never experienced the events that we take for granted. God would be missing the experiences that result from living a life.
The question of God, a Creator, an Intelligent Designer is all speculation. It is a matter of personal individual faith and freedom to choose what to believe in in this experience of life as we know it. It's not a matter of science, physical brains or the mind. We can't know what happens to our minds once our brains stop functioning...we can only presume. And our presumptions may not be what we think.

Rational Agnostic

Spot on.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

I can easily imagine a being with a mind but no physical body.

So I guess we just disagree :)

How do you know if the mind cannot live without a brain ? One would have to die in order to know that, and since you are not dead you don't know. It is reasonable to speculate that the mind may not exist without a brain, but that is not definitive. It's a paradox. We can only know the answer to that once are brains cease functioning. As long as our brains are functioning we can only speculate. Plus, energy cannot be created nor destroyed, rather all energy changes from one form into another. This may apply to the mind as well. Or there may be another vehicle in which our minds transport into beyond our brains. There may be a universal mind which uses other types of vehicles to propagate itself. We won't know until our brains actually stop operating.