• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The middle path

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
One of the things I can appreciate about Islam is its philosophy on the middle path. The basic idea of the middle path (in my opinion) is a path that is directional, straight, and without deviation. Never too far left or right, but a path that remains continuous and directional.

Others may argue on the belief that such a path lacks fluidity but sometimes as been shown in history, fluidity can make the goal obscure to the point where directions end up left and right. Although a fresh perspective is good, sometimes an individual’s perspective may be tainted by individual experience.

Individual experiences along with being learned, can be a powerful tool in reinterpreting a message that is meant to be uninterrupted to maintain its course in the goal. For example Irshad Manji is a good example. Her personal experiences which were negative according to her perspective lead to her philosophy of her own ijtihad.

I do believe originally and textually Islam offers individual scholarship and an academic look at the world but with limits. Sometimes scholarship through the lens of a particular academia such as a western perspective, could attempt reinterpret a culture that once had no issues.

I believe the nature of the Qur’an and its message was meant for mankind as a whole but specifically was geared towards an Arab culture that remained stagnant in perversion and a betrayal of logic and individual investigation of the world.

Last edited:

Sakeenah

One of the things I can appreciate about Islam is its philosophy on the middle path. The basic idea of the middle path (in my opinion) is a path that is directional, straight, and without deviation. Never too far left or right, but a path that remains continuous and directional.

Others may argue on the belief that such a path lacks fluidity but sometimes as been shown in history, fluidity can make the goal obscure to the point where directions end up left and right. Although a fresh perspective is good, sometimes an individual’s perspective may be tainted by individual experience.

Individual experiences along with being learned, can be a powerful tool in reinterpreting a message that is meant to be uninterrupted to maintain its course in the goal. For example Irshad Manji is a good example. Her personal experiences which were negative according to her perspective lead to her philosophy of her own ijtihad.

I do believe originally and textually Islam offers individual scholarship and an academic look at the world but with limits. Sometimes scholarship through the lens of a particular academia such as a western perspective, could attempt reinterpret a culture that once had no issues.

I believe the nature of the Qur’an and its message was meant for mankind as a whole but specifically was geared towards an Arab culture that remained stagnant in perversion and a betrayal of logic and individual investigation of the world.

Interesting thread :)

Allah says in the Quran

“Thus We have appointed you a middle nation.” (Surah Baqarah, 2:143)

We can go in extremes sometimes
so this concept reminds us to be balanced in thought and action.
As Muslims we are reminded to avoid extreme strictness or extreme laxity in regards to our worship and mannerism.

This article explains the Islamic concept a bit more in depth:

http://archiveislam.com/the-importance-of-the-middle-path.html

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Interesting thread :)

Allah says in the Quran

“Thus We have appointed you a middle nation.” (Surah Baqarah, 2:143)

We can go in extremes sometimes
so this concept reminds us to be balanced in thought and action.
As Muslims we are reminded to avoid extreme strictness or extreme laxity in regards to our worship and mannerism.

This article explains the Islamic concept a bit more in depth:

http://archiveislam.com/the-importance-of-the-middle-path.html

Ty for the article and sorry for the late post..

I am sure you recall in the prophet’s night journey where he (Muhammad) was tested with a cup of water, wine, and milk. Milk being in the middle, Muhammad chose symbolically representing Islam as the moderate and middle path.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I honestly love your posts. They are very thoughtful.

After a long journey of reading and reflecting on established Muslim beliefs, i recently was able to start making my own ijtihad when interpreting the Quran.

Let me draw your attention to what you called "the middle path". It was extensively mentioned by Muslims and non-Muslims alike when defending Islam as a moderate religion since 9/11, but when I throughly and extensively studied the verse that talks about being in the middle, it was actually referring to something else.

Let me elaborate by first mentioning the verse i'm talking about:

2:143 (sahih international)
"And thus we have made you a just community that you will be witnesses over the people and the Messenger will be a witness over you..."

Most translations when translating the arabic وسطا wasatan, they usually lean toward going for the most common usage of the word in modern arabic, like being in the "middle", "just" or being "modest", but thats an understatement for what Quran stands for when describing post-Mohamed Muslims (we believe the first Muslim is Adam, you get the picture).

Arabic is all about context, especially in the more sophisticated and poetic classic arabic. You can think of it as the difference between Shakespeare text compared to modern English text.

For example, when describing the ancestry of the Prophet, they describe him in classic history texts of being "awsata-hom nasaban", which means he comes from the best/most noble family. They use the same word which is commonly thought of as in between or middle, but in some contexts it means the best which represented as being in the center/core. But again, why does use a word that could mean middle? The answer is because the same word is used to say center/core, and in arabic center of something is the best. Think of it as leader at the center of a meeting. It would be more appropriate to say he is at the center rather in the middle, because the former show more his status. I guess you got it by now.

So going back to the verse, it's rather tempting to go with the obvious meaning, "middle", which is understandable, but in truth, i believe it means the best, as in, Prophet Mohamed followers being sent at the best moment in human history, positioned at the heart of nations (even on the map) and being the best themselves--at least in theory, huh!

The Quran doesn't leave you hanging in there without justifying this position, it rather goes one more step to explain why. The verse continue and says that the reason is to be a witness! When you are at the center of world events and at the best position to witness all nations, you can testify on what goes wrong and what goes right.

So, we can infer that Muslims don't supposed to be on the defence and be labled as just "moderate" and fighting to earn that label, but God rather intended for them to be critical on what goes in the lives of non-Muslims. Not only that, but also to voice thier opinion on what's right and what's wrong based on the teachings of the last revelation to humanity from God, the Quran!

Note: Please be patient with me because English is not my first language.

To support my position i'm going to supplement you with some verses and i would spare you from listening to more rambling from me because this post is getting really long and i don't want to bore you, but if you need elaboration let me know.

(68:28) The best among them "awsata-hom" said: Said I not unto you: Why glorify ye not (Allah)?

(3:110)
You are the best nation produced [as an example] for mankind. You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in Allah . If only the People of the Scripture had believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are defiantly disobedient.

(5:48)
And We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], the Book in truth, confirming that which preceded it of the Scripture and as a criterion over it. So judge between them by what Allah has revealed and do not follow their inclinations away from what has come to you of the truth. To each of you We prescribed a law and a method. Had Allah willed, He would have made you one nation [united in religion], but [He intended] to test you in what He has given you; so race to [all that is] good. To Allah is your return all together, and He will [then] inform you concerning that over which you used to differ.

Not a rat race over material things, but rather a race toward goodness!

Peace,
Tashan

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I honestly love your posts. They are very thoughtful.

After a long journey of reading and reflecting on established Muslim beliefs, i recently was able to start making my own ijtihad when interpreting the Quran.

Let me draw your attention to what you called "the middle path". It was extensively mentioned by Muslims and non-Muslims alike when defending Islam as a moderate religion since 9/11, but when I throughly and extensively studied the verse that talks about being in the middle, it was actually referring to something else.

Let me elaborate by first mentioning the verse i'm talking about:

2:143 (sahih international)
"And thus we have made you a just community that you will be witnesses over the people and the Messenger will be a witness over you..."

Most translations when translating the arabic وسطا wasatan, they usually lean toward going for the most common usage of the word in modern arabic, like being in the "middle", "just" or being "modest", but thats an understatement for what Quran stands for when describing post-Mohamed Muslims (we believe the first Muslim is Adam, you get the picture).

Arabic is all about context, especially in the more sophisticated and poetic classic arabic. You can think of it as the difference between Shakespeare text compared to modern English text.

For example, when describing the ancestry of the Prophet, they describe him in classic history texts of being "awsata-hom nasaban", which means he comes from the best/most noble family. They use the same word which is commonly thought of as in between or middle, but in some contexts it means the best which represented as being in the center/core. But again, why does use a word that could mean middle? The answer is because the same word is used to say center/core, and in arabic center of something is the best. Think of it as leader at the center of a meeting. It would be more appropriate to say he is at the center rather in the middle, because the former show more his status. I guess you got it by now.

So going back to the verse, it's rather tempting to go with the obvious meaning, "middle", which is understandable, but in truth, i believe it means the best, as in, Prophet Mohamed followers being sent at the best moment in human history, positioned at the heart of nations (even on the map) and being the best themselves--at least in theory, huh!

The Quran doesn't leave you hanging in there without justifying this position, it rather goes one more step to explain why. The verse continue and says that the reason is to be a witness! When you are at the center of world events and at the best position to witness all nations, you can testify on what goes wrong and what goes right.

So, we can infer that Muslims don't supposed to be on the defence and be labled as just "moderate" and fighting to earn that label, but God rather intended for them to be critical on what goes in the lives of non-Muslims. Not only that, but also to voice thier opinion on what's right and what's wrong based on the teachings of the last revelation to humanity from God, the Quran!

Note: Please be patient with me because English is not my first language.

To support my position i'm going to supplement you with some verses and i would spare you from listening to more rambling from me because this post is getting really long and i don't want to bore you, but if you need elaboration let me know.

(68:28) The best among them "awsata-hom" said: Said I not unto you: Why glorify ye not (Allah)?

(3:110)
You are the best nation produced [as an example] for mankind. You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in Allah . If only the People of the Scripture had believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are defiantly disobedient.

(5:48)
And We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], the Book in truth, confirming that which preceded it of the Scripture and as a criterion over it. So judge between them by what Allah has revealed and do not follow their inclinations away from what has come to you of the truth. To each of you We prescribed a law and a method. Had Allah willed, He would have made you one nation [united in religion], but [He intended] to test you in what He has given you; so race to [all that is] good. To Allah is your return all together, and He will [then] inform you concerning that over which you used to differ.

Not a rat race over material things, but rather a race toward goodness!

Peace,
Tashan

This was a very informative post thank you