• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Messiah" On Netflix

PureX

Veteran Member
Is anyone watching "Messiah" on Netflix? What do you think?

I've only seen a few episodes, so far, but I'm finding it very interesting. And well thought out. I don't want to say too much and spoil it, but I predict lots of people are going to angered by this series. In all the right ways.

Last edited:

Mindmaster

Premium Member

I've only seen a few episodes, so far, but I'm finding it very interesting. And well thought out. I don't want to say too much and spoil it, but I predict lots of people are going to angered by this series. In all the right ways.

I probably won't watch it, but that's just because nothing is interesting about it to me. Haven't seen anything in the trailers that makes me curious -- at all. :D

Most of the hype was about Jesus being gay or w/e, but gay isn't shocking anymore. :D

Jedster

I watched the whole series. Quite an interesting plot. I hope there's another series.
Some of the characters remind me of some RFers; who cannot be named for legal reasons.

I also don't want to give away the plot; but I think all Abrahamics should watch it.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I probably won't watch it, but that's just because nothing is interesting about it to me. Haven't seen anything in the trailers that makes me curious -- at all. :D

Most of the hype was about Jesus being gay or w/e, but gay isn't shocking anymore. :D

I think you're mistaking "Messiah" with another series.

Terry Sampson

I watched all 10 episodes. As fictional "what ifs" go, it was entertaining enough to hold my attention, more or less, all the way through. Now I know
When a Mormon is president
I can't think of anyone that it will appeal to. There's something in it to annoy everybody, I think. But I may be wrong.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member

There's nothing in it about Jesus being gay. It's not really even about Jesus. It's about someone showing up as a new messiah, and how people react.

PureX

Veteran Member
I watched all 10 episodes. As fictional "what ifs" go, it was entertaining enough to hold my attention, more or less, all the way through. Now I know
When a Mormon is president
I can't think of anyone that it will appeal to. There's something in it to annoy everybody, I think. But I may be wrong.
I'm sure many will be annoyed, but I wasn't. I liked the thoughtfulness that went into the Messiah character; to keep it on point but not feeding into any particular expectation too closely.

Terry Sampson

I'm sure many will be annoyed, but I wasn't. I liked the thoughtfulness that went into the Messiah character; to keep it on point but not feeding into any particular expectation too closely.
Hmmm, now that you put it that way I'm going to have to take back my statement: "I can't think of anyone that it will appeal to", don't I? ;)
re: the "thoughtfulness that went into the Messiah character ..."
Now you've got me thinking about the stuff that I think makes up "the thoughtfulness" that you refer to.
The way I see it, from the perspective of one who watched all ten of the "first" season's episodes, the "thoughtfulness" is essential. Why? IMO, to justify at least a second season, if not more. Here's why I say that.
The episodes take kind of a "cliffhanger" approach to the main character's "development".
  • Is he or isn't he?
  • Can he or can't he?
  • Did he or didn't he?
  • Will he or will he not?
  • If he is, why didn't he do this?
  • If he isn't, how did he do that?
To be crude, the main character is a bit of a mind-f*** person, and leaves me wondering: where is this episode taking me and how's the final season's final episode going to end? Boingitty-boing-boing-boing. :confused:

Guess we may have to let the Baha'i answer the questions for us if and when they make the main character another Manifestation of God, eh? :D

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Finished what I hope was season 1.

Keeps you guessing whether messiah or terrorist. When they want you to see terrorist they tie his hair back. When messiah, they let his hair down so looks more like a Jesus character.

Miracles happen but they keep you guessing, did they really happen or was it some kind of illusion. Characters on the show who believe become doubtful, those who doubt keep having reason to believe.

Elaborate Iranian plot to disrupt Israel and US or the Second Coming. :shrug:

PureX

Veteran Member
Finished what I hope was season 1.

Keeps you guessing whether messiah or terrorist. When they want you to see terrorist they tie his hair back. When messiah, they let his hair down so looks more like a Jesus character.

Miracles happen but they keep you guessing, did they really happen or was it some kind of illusion. Characters on the show who believe become doubtful, those who doubt keep having reason to believe.

Elaborate Iranian plot to disrupt Israel and US or the Second Coming. :shrug:
I think the writers did a good job at understanding and depicting this dilemma. And that even "evidence" requires faith.

Georges V

• Is he or isn't he?
  • Can he or can't he?
  • Did he or didn't he?
Guess we may have to let the Baha'i answer the questions for us if and when they make the main character another Manifestation of God, eh? :D[/QUOTE]

Georges V

• Is he or isn't he?
  • Can he or can't he?
  • Did he or didn't he?
Guess we may have to let the Baha'i answer the questions for us if and when they make the main character another Manifestation of God, eh? :D
[/QUOTE]
Very good review Terrry, you may know a lot about the Baha'i to make such a comment! Regards