• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The mercy of Hell

Truth in love

I saw yet another post about fear based belief systems it got me thinking about the imagery of hell fires, devil with horns etc.

I also reflected on a notion that I think is rare, but want to see what people thought. Hell is merciful.

For those whose sins a big and unresolved to be in the presence of a perfect all wise all good God would be quite unpleasant. To get some distance even if less than ideal would be better.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Hell is merciful? What could be merciful about a place where people are tortured by fire for all eternity for not believing? It's diabolical. Nothing "merciful" about it.

Add to that, not only do some Christians believe that Hell is the presence of God in his wrath torturing sinners, they also believe that the saved will rejoice when they see people burning in hell.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
It doesn't matter whether you think it would be preferable. Are the sinners themselves able to experience both Hell and the presence of God before making an informed choice about where they would prefer to stay?

Do they get to change their minds?

If the answer to either of these is "no," then that's not mercy. It's just rationalized tyranny.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's an act of retribution in a way that is appropriate to how the evil ones treated God, his chosen, and his friends and good people. Its an act of vengeance from God and exacting justice for oppressed.

Although, before that, in this life, it can be seen as a mercy because it pushes us to fight off evil darkness of our souls and reform ourselves while after death there is no means of redemption possible.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
If hell is full of most of the people Christians say it is and those same Christians are in heaven, it sounds merciful indeed!

WonderingWorrier

I saw yet another post about fear based belief systems it got me thinking about the imagery of hell fires, devil with horns etc.

I also reflected on a notion that I think is rare, but want to see what people thought. Hell is merciful.

For those whose sins a big and unresolved to be in the presence of a perfect all wise all good God would be quite unpleasant. To get some distance even if less than ideal would be better.

Hell is merciful.
Hell is the land of milk and honey.

According to the law of the Bible.

Group1 - Group2 - Group3
North - West - East
Brass - Silver - Gold
Straw - Dust - Stubble
Cattle - Goat - Sheep
Lion - Leopard - Wolf

As the lion is eating the straw with the Ox while the others are eating dust and stubble.

The milk comes from the cow, and the honey comes from the lion:

"And after a time he returned to take her, and he turned aside to see the carcase of the lion: and, behold, there was a swarm of bees and honey in the carcase of the lion". Judges.

It is the honey, the lion, the heifer, the riddle:

"And the men of the city said unto him on the seventh day before the sun went down, What is sweeter than honey? And what is stronger than a lion? and he said unto them, If ye had not plowed with my heifer, ye had not found out my riddle". Judges

The tribe of Rueben is in the place of Cattle. And the tribe of Judah is in the place of Lion.

And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof. Revelation.

Now the children of Reuben and the children of Gad had a very great multitude of cattle: and when they saw the land of Jazer, and the land of Gilead, that, behold, the place was a place for cattle; Numbers.

And the Lion and the cattle are together as being two of the northern gates into the city.

And the gates of the city shall be after the names of the tribes of Israel: three gates northward; one gate of Reuben, one gate of Judah, one gate of Levi. Ezekiel.

Why abodest thou among the sheepfolds, to hear the bleatings of the flocks? For the divisions of Reuben there were great searchings of heart. Judges.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Interesting to me to read 'Hell is merciful' I never heard that before.
Do people think of anyone righteous going to hell _________
Yet, the day righteous Jesus died Jesus went to hell (Acts 2:27) No, Not to some religious-myth hell but biblical hell.
I find there is a BIG difference because Jesus and the OT both teach ' sleep ' in death (No pain, No roasting ever)
Just unconscious sleep in death - Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14
So, there is No fire, No pain in biblical hell just mankind's temporary stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead.
Sleep in death is also true of symbolic ' second death '. In other words, the definition of the lake of fire is: second death.
Or, as Jeremiah wrote it's ' perpetual sleep ' at Jeremiah 51:39; Jeremiah 51:57.
The wicked are Not roasted at all, but are 'destroyed forever' as per Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
...................Although, before that, in this life, it can be seen as a mercy because it pushes us to fight off evil darkness of our souls and reform ourselves while after death there is no means of redemption possible.

I find it is death ( one's own death ) that wipes the slate clean - Romans 6:23,7
No where did God say death plus some post-mortem penalty, No double jeopardy for sin.
The total complete price tag that sin pays is: death. No further charges following death. No taxes to be paid in death.
It is what a person does 'after' they are resurrected that will determine either everlasting life or everlasting death.
So, because of the Resurrection Promise 'redemption' is not only possible but what the Bible really teaches.
There ' is going to be ' (future) a resurrection of both the 'righteous and unrighteous' - Act of the Apostles 24:15
The 'wicked' will simple be ' destroyed forever ' Psalms 37:38; Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22.

WonderingWorrier

I think its very interesting what Muhammad says about hell in the Quran.

He appears to sound crazy but I notice he knows what cattle are.

"Or thinkest thou that most of them listen or understand? They are only like cattle;- nay, they are worse astray in Path"

"And We shall drive the sinners to Hell, like thirsty cattle driven down to water", Quran.

"Eat for yourselves and pasture your cattle: verily, in this are Signs for men endued with understanding".

"Verily Allah will admit those who believe and do righteous deeds, to Gardens beneath which rivers flow; while those who reject Allah will enjoy (this world) and eat as cattle eat; and the Fire will be their abode".

Hell is merciful.

"And verily in cattle (too) will ye find an instructive sign. From what is within their bodies between excretions and blood, We produce, for your drink, milk, pure and agreeable to those who drink it".

Goldemar

A queer sort

I believe that life in this material world is the real Hell. Here, we are apart from God. I don't find that to be merciful at all, but it is not God's fault that we are here, since God is not the creator of the material world in my belief system. We have been trapped here by the evil Demiurgic creator of the material world.