• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The men who have saved more lives than anyone else in history.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If it dosent affect the future in a way that it's destructive, I'd say prolong oneself. However I'd still much rather have a short quality existence as a human if possible rather than a long miserable one, even if it includes sin habits. Like smoking and drinking, eating fatty foods, among other things.

It's also noteworthy to point out that people in the past didn't have the discoveries and progress, so I don't think they had any choice living shorter lives.

We live on decisions made from the past so I think its prudent to have foresight and planning in regards to that.

That was the point of the OP, to show some people's discoveries thst have prolonged life.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am never wrong. (Except when I'm wrong)

I invented nothing, but i can almost guarantee that i have had a hand in some aspect of your life. So what is more useful, the design of some utilities mimic system that allows for more precise control of power or water,. Or the invention of a useless hammer.
My 2 great hammer inventions have the great
advantage of having no effect (deleterious or
otherwise) upon humanity whatsoever.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Looking forward to cultured grown bacon.

eg of what lab meat development is involving :
"Fetal bovine serum (FBS) is a common component of animal cell culture media. It is harvested from bovine fetuses taken from pregnant cows during slaughter. FBS is commonly harvested by means of a cardiac puncture without any form of anaesthesia. Fetuses are probably exposed to pain and/or discomfort, so the current practice of fetal blood harvesting is inhumane."

- The use of fetal bovine serum: ethical or scientific problem? - PubMed

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Yes, he is also responsible for the deaths of many, that is not the subject of this thread though.
To every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Or, from another viewpoint, there are no medicines that do not have unwanted side-effects.

When we do things, even very good things, something else, unusally unintended, is also likely to happen. The question we have to answer then, as with medicine, is the cure worth the side-effects that are apt to go with it?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I already eat fake burgers.
Fake bacon would be good too.
"Fakon".
Cultured bacon is real meat grown from the animal's cells.

Nothing artificial about it. No sacrifices for taste or the animal.

But there is that seaweed that's supposed to taste like fake bacon.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
And.
Alaxander Fleming who discovered antibiotics.
Special kudos for Fleming - discoverer of penicillin.

"It is impossible to know how many lives have been saved by penicillin but it is estimated that penicillin saved 80.000.000 to 200.000.000 lives. Penicillin has saved, and is still saving, millions of people around the world."

Probably more IMO

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Those guys have done more to destroy the natural
world than any others in history. The expanding
world population is denuding the seas of life, &
paving over whatever land isn't being converted
to biologically sterile farmland.

Just call me "Mr Positive" today.

The self interest of the human race will likely ensure its own survival, even if nothing else will.

I imagine some far off future were the human race is the terror of the galaxy moving from solar system to solar system consuming all natural resources along the way to ensure its own survival.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Cultured bacon is real meat grown from the animal's cells.

Nothing artificial about it. No sacrifices for taste or the animal.

But there is that seaweed that's supposed to taste like fake bacon.
Of course it's not real.
It never had the squeal.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The self interest of the human race will likely ensure its own survival, even if nothing else will.

I imagine some far off future were the human race is the terror of the galaxy moving from solar system to solar system consuming all natural resources along the way to ensure its own survival.
I'm not worried about human survival.
But I lament the squalid environment
it will inhabit.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'm not worried about human survival.
But I lament the squalid environment
it will inhabit.

I suspect it will be more sterile.
A continual process of recycling all resources to the nth degree.

However probably not to the benefit of the rest of the biological life on the planet.
Though I suppose we will be able to create whatever biological life form we deem necessary at some point.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Follow on from @Subduction Zone thread The man who accidentally killed the most people in history.
I would like to go to the opposite end of the scale and introduce the men who have saved more lives than anyone else in history.

Fritz Haber and Carl Bosch with their discovery a method to commercially manufacturer synthetic nitrogen which could be placed into fertilizer they have been credited for saving around 2,700,000,000 lives.

Norman Borlaug, i know is a particular hero of @Dan From Smithville
He was considered to be "the father of the Green Revolution", and is credited with saving at least a billion people worldwide from starvation.

Not to forget
Edward Jenner who invented the smallpox vaccine.
And.
Alaxander Fleming who discovered antibiotics.

I would add Stanislav Petrov and Vasili Arkhipov to that list:

Stanislav Petrov: The man who may have saved the world

Soviet submarine officer who averted nuclear war honoured with prize

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
However probably not to the benefit of the rest of the biological life on the planet.
That's the squalid part.
Though I suppose we will be able to create whatever biological life form we deem necessary at some point.
Oh, boy...my distant descendants can visit
birds & racoons in a museum or holosuite.